Personal advice needed-makeup

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmie20

Reaction score
I just wondered of anyone can help me. I am a nail geek - but I am in need of some make up. I've never really worn any, just special occasions, but I feel I need to start in order to make people take me more seriously.

Basically I wondered if anyone could give me some make up advice. I am happy to pay what needs paying, but can anyone recommend a range? I have quite sensitive skin (allergies to things and eczema) so would want to sample it first, my skin can be very dry, but it does get quite greasy on my forehead.

So basically - has anyone got any advice?

Hey, I'm not a makeup geek, but I have eczema too and I swear by MAC - I had a makeover at one of their counters, cost 20 quid, but you get that off the cost of the makeup you buy x

Hiya I too suffer with extremely dry skin/Psoriasis and use tinted moisturisers rather than foundation - I use the body shops vitamin E one (think its about £11) but lasts and doesnt contain spf which can dry out the skin further. Then I found Nivea does a tinted moisturiser in boots and it's £3.99! Try that too.

Boots have their own 'natural' collection which is low in price and is kind to skin - lots of nice colours too and they do a tinted moisturiser which is £1.99 - I do like that one and will buy again.

Just apply sparingly on the forehead and sweep with some loose powder to 'set'

If you need anymore advice please PM me happy to help
xxxx

If your skin is good, then maybe just adding a bit of bronzer to your face to add a glow, also use the bronzer as a blusher, if that is not the right colour for your complexion then having a blusher to suit your tones will add dimension to your face. I think Mascara is the key, Rimmel is really good. Lip gloss is nice, choose a colour that is natural. Hope this helps

Hi OP,

I would ask around for a few samples of foundation and try them on your skin, on a small area first to ensure no reaction, especially if you are reactive to products.
I'd treat the skin underneath as the canvas on which to start from, what's your skincare routine?
Foundation wise you want one that won't play up dry patches and will deal with any oilier areas so the likes of Mac, Bobbi Brown would be a good starting point. They will have various formulations of foundation for different skin types and conditions. You could also look at mineral foundation, I didn't get on so well with this but my skin is a bit more on the oily side! It may suit your skin type though so worth checking out.
Dermalogica do treatment foundations which are meant to be fantastic, alternatively if you want to keep it simple some BB Cream with a light dusting of loose powder to finish.
It is worth spending a bit more on quality make up, it will last better on skin and is less likely to contain cheap fillers, if you have sensitivity it's worth getting the right products.

You could look at getting lashes and brows tinted to give colour and definition and then just curl your lashes in the morning and apply clear mascara. Tinted lip balm is great, Revlon lip butter is one of my favourites! Mascara wise Clinique do some lovely ones, I'm currently using Benefit They're Real, it's fab! I also love Dior mascaras. They last well, don't go crumbly or dry out and give sleek glossy long lashes.

If you're going from no make up to wearing it you won't want to be jumping in to a full on face of it every morning. Build it up, sart off with a few basics and experiment from there.

Latest posts

Back