Phone call from the police

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sueelaine

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Recently I've been getting a lot of missed calls from an unknown number and today I finally was available to answer it. Anyway, the guy said he was from Kent Police. My heart skipped a beat! :D
I was a bit busy at the time but from what I could understand, the police, in order to tackle anti social behaviour etc would work with me so I would be 'approved' by them in a sense. They said I'd be able to use the police logo on all my promotional material and would be able to provide websites for clients that highlight the fact that I am an approved community business.
He said I would keep this position/agreement with the police 'for life' and really it's just to reassure clients who may have otherwise thought twice about a mobile therapist for fear of inviting a stranger into their homes. e.g. it helps more vulnerable clients such as the elderly etc.
well, I thought it was a great idea, but I can't help but think 'mm what if this is a scam!' I'm very cautious about discussing things to do with myself or my business over the phone and would much rather have a written document or written correspondence. I was at the vets at the time so I asked if I could take a number to call back and the guy just gave me his personal mobile number :irked:
Just wondering if anyone else has been approached by this and if so what they did? I'd much rather go and sit down at my local police station and have a chat with someone face to face so I probably will end up doing that one morning this week!
Thanks for reading!

I would call your local police station to check

Hmm your best bet would be go to your local station and them tell them about it and see are they really part of it! Sounds like a great idea but id check with ur local station just to make sure :) x x x

If you do a search on the forum you will find that this is a current subject, with others experiences written about.

My feeling is they are using the police part of the spiel to gain trust and then abuse it. I also think that they would be very interested to hear about these cold calls at your local station.

I would check with your local police station as i had someone call up from "my local policestation" offering advertising space in a local magazine to do with anti-social behaviour. It was a scam..but at least the police had a phone number and website to follow up!!

It sounds like some sort of advertising scam to me.

Google 'Cavendish Black', this scam has been doing the rounds for years in various forms. You would of thought they could think of something new, Muppets!

Lilian

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

I do not know how he can say it would be for life .. suppose you committed a heinous crime in five years time???

Hehehe that made me smile x

Suppose you marry a criminal in the future?

A real police agent would call from a land line not a mobile.

Do as has already been suggested and either call the police or go into the station.

Jacqui xx

Hi sueelaine...I had the same thing a while ago...I come from a family that are in the police force so I asked the guy on the phone what his collar number was (numbers on his shirt lepel) he soon put the phone down...I then
got it checked out and it was a scam...

Hi sueelaine...I had the same thing a while ago...I come from a family that are in the police force so I asked the guy on the phone what his collar number was (numbers on his shirt lepel) he soon put the phone down...I then
got it checked out and it was a scam...

Brilliant - well done!!

Ah I did have my suspicions! It would be a wonderful idea though if there was a scheme like this offered by the police!

I don't like the sound of this at all. I agree you should pop into your local police station and question it. I never give any information out over the phone. Full stop. You can never be too carefull x

I had a similar call the other day, but the guy was offering me the chance to advertise in the police magazine which would be sent out to the community to assist with anti social behaviour. When I said I was busy enough and wasn't looking to advertise he just hung up immediately.

When the police in our area do want to interact with the community I tend to find they do it in person i.e. community meetings, or attending a local show and talking to people etc.

Naughty that they use the police link for these scams though....I'm sure the police are not that pleased about it!!

The police do use mobile numbers just to let you know, so dont be scared about being given a mobile number. I have one of the town centre officers mobile number saved as the police here are given blackberrys.

They will be able to tell you if it's real or not from the number, they may use mobiles due to contracts having minutes available to keep the phone bill down but I am suspicious about the for life part. I'd guess you would need to get a police check etc... First and that costs money.

Worth checking with your local office or on 101 (non emergency number). Xoxo

I had someone phone me up and offer something similar, but luckily enough for me I had seen on sg that his was a scam!!!

As soon as I told the man I was not interested he lowered the tone of voice and called me several nasty names ;-(

I did phone my local police station and report it just incase it came to anything x

Hi everyone!
Recently I've been getting a lot of missed calls from an unknown number and today I finally was available to answer it. Anyway, the guy said he was from Kent Police. My heart skipped a beat! :D
I was a bit busy at the time but from what I could understand, the police, in order to tackle anti social behaviour etc would work with me so I would be 'approved' by them in a sense. They said I'd be able to use the police logo on all my promotional material and would be able to provide websites for clients that highlight the fact that I am an approved community business.
He said I would keep this position/agreement with the police 'for life' and really it's just to reassure clients who may have otherwise thought twice about a mobile therapist for fear of inviting a stranger into their homes. e.g. it helps more vulnerable clients such as the elderly etc.
well, I thought it was a great idea, but I can't help but think 'mm what if this is a scam!' I'm very cautious about discussing things to do with myself or my business over the phone and would much rather have a written document or written correspondence. I was at the vets at the time so I asked if I could take a number to call back and the guy just gave me his personal mobile number :irked:
Just wondering if anyone else has been approached by this and if so what they did? I'd much rather go and sit down at my local police station and have a chat with someone face to face so I probably will end up doing that one morning this week!
Thanks for reading!

Really good to know as I'm based in Kent and I'd fall for the con!

Latest posts

Back