Photographing your work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuartW

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a tabletop photographic setup to take quick pics of completed work?

When the nail tech is super busy with an unbroken stream of clients and there is no time to take pics of the work done, how do you take the pic?

I'm sure you agree that pics are a great way to advertise skills and original designs but its difficult sometimes to find the time.

How do you manage this predicament?

I work alone so take all my own pics.
When it’s so busy like it has been the past few weeks, I just select which sets I prefer and make the time. It only takes a few minutes.

I work alone so take all my own pics.
When it’s so busy like it has been the past few weeks, I just select which sets I prefer and make the time. It only takes a few minutes.

Thanks for your reply. It is just a few minutes but its a few minutes with an opportunity cost.

I have been thinking about a small desktop "photo booth" for hands. With a camera (phone?) set up to take the pic automatically once the hand is inserted. Has anyone come across such a thing or similar?

I have no knowledge of things photographic so I thought I would ask. I guess I will speak with an amateur photographer at my job.

Thanks again for your reply.

Thanks for your reply. It is just a few minutes but its a few minutes with an opportunity cost.

I have been thinking about a small desktop "photo booth" for hands. With a camera (phone?) set up to take the pic automatically once the hand is inserted. Has anyone come across such a thing or similar?

I have no knowledge of things photographic so I thought I would ask. I guess I will speak with an amateur photographer at my job.

Thanks again for your reply.

But surely you’d prefer to place your clients hands and nails where you want and to move the light and camera to the best angle?
It’s not a as easy as just taking a photo...

I work faster than my appointment time and take a couple of mins to take pics, it doesn’t take long to take a couple of pics

It doesn't take long to snap a few photos, so it's up to you whether you want to make the time to do it or not. I recently bought a ring light to use when taking photos and they look miles better than before. I would agree with Ciderella that it might be preferable to pose the hands of the clients yourself rather than leave them to do it. If I don't direct them, they will literally put their hands into the "octopus" pose, or grab some ugly object to pose with, or worst, give me the grip pose as if they're holding some invisible cucumber.

Another way is a client selfie. Get them to tag you in the post as it is also another way to promote your business.

It doesn't take long to snap a few photos, so it's up to you whether you want to make the time to do it or not. I recently bought a ring light to use when taking photos and they look miles better than before. I would agree with Ciderella that it might be preferable to pose the hands of the clients yourself rather than leave them to do it. If I don't direct them, they will literally put their hands into the "octopus" pose, or grab some ugly object to pose with, or worst, give me the grip pose as if they're holding some invisible cucumber.
Lol, I call that one the scared cat pose, always looks like they're ready to fight or run![emoji1]

Lol, I call that one the scared cat pose, always looks like they're ready to fight or run![emoji1]

I have another name for the pose but it's a bit naughty. After I started envisioning that when I see that pose, I can't unsee it. It's forever an inappropriate pose in my gutter mind now.

I know some techs have a set up with something like this. A photo light box with camera always ready on tripod above. Just need to simply place clients hands and press go on the camera from above. Wouldn't take up much room.
But really, just a cellphone photo on a clean area of your table/towel at the end on your appointment shouldn't take more than a minute? It's worth the time for the advertising opportunity that it gains you and you can edit them if needed on your own time.

Attachments

• Photo booth.jpg
    Photo booth.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 32
I know some techs have a set up with something like this. A photo light box with camera always ready on tripod above. Just need to simply place clients hands and press go on the camera from above. Wouldn't take up much room.
But really, just a cellphone photo on a clean area of your table/towel at the end on your appointment shouldn't take more than a minute? It's worth the time for the advertising opportunity that it gains you and you can edit them if needed on your own time.

Thank you for your response.

I agree that it takes just a couple of minutes but sometimes when it is super busy those couple of minutes add up and could mean another client by the days end. Just trying to maximise techs time and, by extension, trying to help clients get an appointment.

The other thing is, with a small photo booth (like your pic) the nail tech should remember to take the pic........

Thanks again for your reply and image.

Compliments of the Season

I bought one of these. Total waste of money. I have a little ring selfie light now and it does me just fine. It takes literally just a couple of minutes to snap a couple if pictures x

I bought one of these. Total waste of money. I have a little ring selfie light now and it does me just fine. It takes literally just a couple of minutes to snap a couple if pictures x

I used one if these that attached
IMG_5358_Facetune_28-11-2018-19-10-21.JPG
to my phone but then bought one from amazon that clamps onto the desk and also has a phone holder. It was inexpensive but is great for photos.
It has various different settings, including warm and cool lights.
Photos only take 2 or 3 minutes.
I’ve blurred around the edge of the photo before posting online but that’s personal choice.

I used one if these that attachedView attachment 208339 to my phone but then bought one from amazon that clamps onto the desk and also has a phone holder. It was inexpensive but is great for photos.
It has various different settings, including warm and cool lights.
Photos only take 2 or 3 minutes.
I’ve blurred around the edge of the photo before posting online but that’s personal choice.
That sounds perfect. Do you have a link x

I have another name for the pose but it's a bit naughty. After I started envisioning that when I see that pose, I can't unsee it. It's forever an inappropriate pose in my gutter mind now.
That's what I call it... I can't unsee it either

It doesn't take long to get a picture if you have good lighting. And it's easier to take a good picture yourself than it is for your clients to get one.

Latest posts

Back