Pink and purple hair help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clairebh1604

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wondering if I could ask for some advise please. For over 10 years that I have been in the hairdressing industry I have never had to use wacky colours like the crazy colours so I am not very experienced with them, for vibrant purples and reds etc I've used L'Oreal which I am trained in as you can make some awesome colours up. I have a client and her 16 year old has asked for this.... and she has approval from her mum, her mum actually loves it as well. I have advised all the normal bits, it will be harder to maintain as it will fade and we will need to pre lighten her colour as she is about a base 6ish home dyed atm which I have said to was with head and shoulders to help lighten and do conditioning treatments so we can keep her hair in nice condition. She likes the crazy colours but I have read on here that the purples tend to fade green so I'm a bit hesitant to use them, I have also looked at directions which seems the better alternative but have read it does not last long so have looked into the affinage and fudge paintbox which seems the best ones, I like the look at the affinage...if I can get hold of them as they seem to last well and have conditioning agents in them which I feel will be great on her hair :) I also need to dye hair extensions (micro loop) the same so will lighten her hair and get the extensions to as closer colour to that so the colour will be as even as posts. I would like to know how much I need to lighten in order to achieve these kind of colours so would I be ok to an orange/yellow blonde or lighter. I managed to get it to a 9 on a strand test with 10vol and bleach. Also any ideas of how to achieve this kind of look would be fab as she wants both the purple and pink from root to tip, so random block pieces or thick slices in foils?? Its numbing my brain thinking about it lol
Thanks in advance all and sorry for essay :)

I've tried them all and found adore semi colours the best affinage faded really bad after first wash and was very expensive to xx

Goldwell elumen!

Stargazer is amazing I use it on my own hair. Its hard to get though

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I used to use la riche directions come in loadsa colours you can actually mix the colours to make your own and it's vegan so no chemicals and no damage whatsoever this was my hair when I used it

<3 Stephanie <3

Attachments

• 1402085928155.jpg
    1402085928155.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 1402085971091.jpg
    1402085971091.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 230
Also I uses to put some in my conditioner so every time I washed my hair it was topped up a bit

<3 Stephanie <3

I prefer manic panic. I per lighten as light as poss tho. You need to get as much yellow out as possible, otherwise the purple won't look bluey enough.
This pic was bleached almost white first, before using manic panic purple haze, and bright blue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 340
I dont really like affinage semis the colours are whack and really expensive for what you get. Directions is a good, affordable and more importantly, predictable semi permanent. I tend to buy any colours of any brand i like and mix them all up for custom colours. Some colours are better than others though. I would suggest getting some directions plum, dark tulip and perhaps flamingo pink. You are using warm colours so lightening to a yellow would be adequate, though if you were to use blues or greens etc, pale yellow is better. Base 9 would be fine for what you want to do.
Technique wise, I would try and perhaps do a balayage ombre kinda thing, smudging the colours into eachother down the hair shaft, and this is where having a few different tones of pinks or purples really help the variation. You can also use white conditioner with the strong colours to make them slightly lighter or into pastels- the colour you see in the bowl is the colour you will get on the hair. I guess experiment on the colour placement, you cant really go wrong with crazy colours, just make sure the hair is fully saturated and let it sit under gentle heat for at least 30 mins, the longer you leave the longer it will last. Also, advise sulfate free shampoo, minimal washing, and only using lukewarm to cool water when washing hair. This will prolong the colour.

I really like stargazer as well but I think it's being discontinued. :(

I usually use crazy colour but have started using directions too and also tested out some adore colours which came out really vibrant. I saw that guy tang uses the joico color intensity so I got some of those can't wait to use them.

I dont really like affinage semis the colours are whack and really expensive for what you get. Directions is a good, affordable and more importantly, predictable semi permanent. I tend to buy any colours of any brand i like and mix them all up for custom colours. Some colours are better than others though. I would suggest getting some directions plum, dark tulip and perhaps flamingo pink. You are using warm colours so lightening to a yellow would be adequate, though if you were to use blues or greens etc, pale yellow is better. Base 9 would be fine for what you want to do.
Technique wise, I would try and perhaps do a balayage ombre kinda thing, smudging the colours into eachother down the hair shaft, and this is where having a few different tones of pinks or purples really help the variation. You can also use white conditioner with the strong colours to make them slightly lighter or into pastels- the colour you see in the bowl is the colour you will get on the hair. I guess experiment on the colour placement, you cant really go wrong with crazy colours, just make sure the hair is fully saturated and let it sit under gentle heat for at least 30 mins, the longer you leave the longer it will last. Also, advise sulfate free shampoo, minimal washing, and only using lukewarm to cool water when washing hair. This will prolong the colour.

thanks all for all your advise and ideas :) really appreciate it as I'm abit nervous as never done anything like it before and she had her hair messed up by a hairdresser before so she's nervous and its her prom lol so want to at least have it nice. That's great about lifting to a yellow as I thought that would be ok with the darker vibrant colours. I thought I would use a purple shampoo after bleach bathing with 10 vol just to help remove a but more yellow. Thinking the directions then as she will need me topping up quite often so at least ill have it too hand and its not overly expensive and I dont think they are as harsh as the crazy colours. I have also heard people not getting the correct colour from doing crazy colours or needing to get there hair to a white which wont be poss on my girls hair as its not in best condition so will only lift to a 9 yellow as I have done a strand test and it can handle it. Does anyone know if the directions take to hair extensions... blonde ones obviously lol also the balayage technique would be a good idea as I was thinking of doing the roots all over with one colour as it will just look ridiculous and stripey and then free hand the colours into each other so you get them both coming through the hair, she didn't want hombre which would have looked lovely, just to make my work harder lol what do you all think would look best the purple all over with the pink coming through or the other way round? Tia xx

This video might give you some ideas ;) Purple Fuchsia and Pink Fantasy Ombré - YouTube

thanks Adam :) funny enough I had seen that vide ages ago by accident on you tube and completely forgot about it.... baby brain lol think I'm fine on application now thank you guys its the colours I'm stuck on, knowing what is better and will take really well etc xx

Best purple I've ever used was by adore !!
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402446259.560530.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402446325.994495.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402446346.261531.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402446456.444017.jpg

These were all a mix of adore 'purple rage' and 'violet gem' ... Each photo was mixed differently to create different tones :) ie more violet gem than purple rage for the pinker ones or more purple rage for the darker more blue tones ones xx

Latest posts

Back