Planning Consent for Home Salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmad

Reaction score
As my youngest will be going to nursery for a couple of days a week as of next month and my eldest to school in April. I've decided to do less mobile work and encourange new and existing clients to come to me instead (which a few already do). I've been setting up a room at the front of the house as a nail room.

Been making a few calls today to discover if theres any red tape I need to comply with and although I havent had feedback from health and safety yet, I was horrified to discover that I need to submit a full planning application and a cheque for £220!!

Has anyone else had experience of this?

Yes we have had this, however it is to convert the garage into a hair and nail salon. We had to pay £220 for the planning application for change of use. They refused us the first time round. An ex councillor got in touch with us and has put together a fantastic support statement and then advised us to resubmit our application as appeals can take up to 12 months. It cost us another £200+ for this ex councillor but nothing to resbumit the application.

We find out for definite on Tuesday whether we have got it or not. The District Council are behind us and happy for us to do it. The Town Council are against it. Its all in the lap of the Gods at the moment. Roll on Tuesday!!!

I didn't need planning permission because my proposal covered a couple of areas. First, I said no building work was required (already had the room), that the room would only be used approx 3 days a week and I stated my opening hours, I also pointed out that I would not be receiving any large deliveries and that I had plenty of off-road parking so would not be blocking the road or inconveniencing neighbours.
Unfortunately I think a lot of it depends on your local council and if you definitely need planning permission then I would say it is better to be safe than sorry. Try to put forward your idea in writing with all the 'good' points why it shouldn't be a problem, but if they insist on a formal application that I'd do that. £200 now is better than a fine or being shut down later.

Hi Emma,

I take it the Nail room is a sole purpose room? In which case I don't think there is much you can do. You'll also need to advise council tax as that room will be billed at commercial rate, rather than domestic.

If the room also has a domestic function this isn't a problem. I use my dining room, the council are aware and I've not had any problems or been told I need to pay anything, no change to council tax either.

Thanks for the replies peeps.

I think my situation can certainly fit the criteria where permission is not needed. The room could also be construed as a hobby room/ocassional bedroom or study. I will not be working every day and it would be low usage, I would not have any big deliveries and I have parking for a small army!

In the light of what you've all said I think I'll write to them outlining my situation first rather than stumping up the £220 straight away - you never know, I could be lucky!

I have plans to convert a garage adjoining this room in the long term, to make the whole area bigger. Maybe at that point I could do an application for change of use and I wont mind so much paying the fee then.

Thanks again

Ack. Red tape, I hear ya. :irked:

Where I live (Queensland, Australia), home businesses come under the auspice of local council who allow small businesses to work unencumbered without having to make such ludicrous payments. I mean, gee, that's about $460 in our currency! How do you afford that? And just for an application? :eek: From memory, the only fees I had to worry about were for registration of business name and registration of my vehicle which came under the jurisdiction of the Dept of Transport which was another thing entirely.

You could always emigrate ;)

i have recently had a baby and are planning on working from home as opposed to returning to a salon. i have spoken to a friend who has combined mobile and home based work for sometime but who is now also planning on solely trading from home. According to her - if you are working from a garage there is a clause which enables you to use a garage as a "workshop" and so you don't need planning permission or to pay a fee for change of use. Also if the garage is integral or close to the house then although the garage is used solely for work it still comes under domestic rates. i havn't checked out her theory yet, maybe someone else can confirm it

Steph said:
i have recently had a baby and are planning on working from home as opposed to returning to a salon. i have spoken to a friend who has combined mobile and home based work for sometime but who is now also planning on solely trading from home. According to her - if you are working from a garage there is a clause which enables you to use a garage as a "workshop" and so you don't need planning permission or to pay a fee for change of use. Also if the garage is integral or close to the house then although the garage is used solely for work it still comes under domestic rates. i havn't checked out her theory yet, maybe someone else can confirm it

Can anyone tell me if the above is true or not

Many thanks

emmad said:
I think my situation can certainly fit the criteria where permission is not needed. The room could also be construed as a hobby room/ocassional bedroom or study.

I can give you a definite answer on this one as I had the very same conversation with my County Council 3 weeks ago (keep in mind it may be different rules for different areas so call yours and check, don't give any names or address so they can't trace you, and ask the general question) - In my area (Brighton) you do not need to pay anything extra for council tax or get permission to run your business if it is in a room that has not specifically been built/converted and could continue to be used for it's original purpose at any time. (ie. bedroom, study, office, dining room, conservatory). If you had converted your garage specifically there may be a charge if it could no longer be used as a garage - each application would be investigated individually.

emmad said:
In the light of what you've all said I think I'll write to them outlining my situation first rather than stumping up the £220 straight away - you never know, I could be lucky!.

Phone them and ask the question it's quicker all round and you'll know the answer virtually immediately. I'm fairly sure you'll be pleasantly surprised :wink2:

emmad said:
I have plans to convert a garage adjoining this room in the long term, to make the whole area bigger. Maybe at that point I could do an application for change of use and I wont mind so much paying the fee then.

Give yourself at least 6 months before you decide what you want to do - bear in mind most small businesses take 2 years to turn a decent profit. Don't spend money you don't need to yet

Good Luck with the council

HTH
Trin
xx

To keep all my bases covered (sorry for hijacking your thread Emmad) who do you apply to to let know you have a home salon be it a dining room used to work on clients? More and more of my dining room is being taken over by my equipment, but I could at an hours notice use it for its original purpose - dining! The dining furniture is all in situe in the room as well.

It hasnt affected my home insurance, got the ok from them, I am just panicing a bit in case the council or whoever get a phonecall from someone who think they might make mischeif for me. I am not sure who I should speak to or what I should say really :(

Latest posts

Back