Please help me and my severely damaged nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justapolishaway

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Becky and I am 20 from Middlesex. Last July I purchased an acrylic kit from eBay (I know!) and proceeded to do acrylics on myself as I could no longer afford to go to the salon. I have always had acrylic nails, since I was around 15/16 and have always seen them as a solution to me as I used to be a serious nail biter.

I used to do a set of acrylics, rip them off and do them again. I barely used cuticle oil and I always over filed my nail which caused all of my fingers to have vertical red cracks and splits down the nail. I was removing and re-applying new sets everyday, sometimes twice a day!

Since then, I can safely say that not one of my nails has a crack in them as I totally avoided any treatment for my nails and IF needed I used the press on nails which I make and design myself with normal nail glue. I suffer from yellow dry skin at the tip of the nail and around the free edge of the nail/near the nail bed... I'm totally confused about it because no matter how much cuticle oil I used it still didn't work!

I have attached photos of my nails, which were taken today, and I am wondering if anyone has any advice regarding the state of my nails and what I can do to repair them. I have also attached a photo of my nail products that I use to ensure that my nails become healthy.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Becky

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 4,300
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 1,089
Hello Becky,
I think probably need to have your doctor check out your nails.

You really did give them a lot of abuse but I would be concerned with the L&P products you used . God knows what the ingredients where, they probably have not be safety tested or approved for use on people .

Your nails may recover given time and lots of TLC , but you need to see the doctor to rule out infection which will retard the recovery process.

What adhesive did you use? How long since you have put these products on your nails.

Hello Becky,
I think probably need to have your doctor check out your nails.

You really did give them a lot of abuse but I would be concerned with the L&P products you used . God knows what the ingredients where, they probably have not be safety tested or approved for use on people .

Your nails may recover given time and lots of TLC , but you need to see the doctor to rule out infection which will retard the recovery process.

What adhesive did you use? How long since you have put these products on your nails.

Hi,

I'm not totally sure it was a chinese brand of glue. The nails themselves are now totally grown out and they're just short, so I can't see any signs of infection ETC throughout the nail itself. Every time some more grows, I cut out the damage and I'm literally smothering my hands in cuticle oil, cream and hand cream.

I ensure I was my hands all the time, and I'm using Sally Hansen miracle growth to try and help them grow back normally.. They've started to look a lot better since I've been giving myself a manicure every couple of days and staying away from acrylics. I just don't want my fingers amputated!

Lol, thanks. x

Hun, please see your doctor; infection isn't always so visible; you want to rule that our before using any other products x

I would advise seeing the doctor about the yellowing, could be infected.

What sort of manicure are you giving yourself every couple of days?

Personally I'd go to docs, be applying Solar Oil 3 times a day with Cuticle Eraser at night and be leaving them to grow OR, if able, get them Shellac'ed - you'd need more regular appointments in the beginning but it would provide protection for your nails (but obviously make sure you chose a good nail tech, using correct products (CND Shellac) and one that uses the system as it should be (eg: no removing shine on the natural nail) xx

Latest posts

Back