Please help! Too much massage!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peachylady

Reaction score
Hi geeks. Could really do with your help on this one. I have just started working in a hotel spa and am finding the amount of massage I have to do in one day challenging. Any tips on how to look after my hands/back etc...would be much appreciated. Thank you!c

Maybe speak to your spa manager on doing a hands free massage course

When I worked in a spa I would use my forearms and elbows most of the massage

How much massage are you doing?

Most spas have massage as their main treatment and it's definitely a job with a shelf life for this very reason.

Make your way of working as ergonomic as possible. ..use elbows and forearms and don't spend ages massaging the legs (within reason! ) when that's time that could be spent sitting down working on the upper arms and décolleté (depending on the treatment)

Also, it's a bit of a controversial suggestion perhaps but I think part time is more manageable than full time when working in a spa because you need to get as much rest as you can. When I started in spas i was happy to do up to 8 days in a row every now and then but it reached a point where 3 was becoming my maximum.

What are you expected to do including breaks.

Thank you for the advice :) On a weekend we can do 5-6 hours of massage with one half hour break for lunch. I was looking at an old thread on here and i realise some places make you do more :-( we are only meant to do 2 hours of massage in a row and then we should do a facial/pedicure whatever to get a break but it doesn't always work out that way. I use my forearms a little bit but I am not confident with elbows yet so I am going to request extra massage training.

Hi.

Tough job you have.

Exercise your wrists before starting each massage.
Weight of your body should be your power house, not your wrists or your shoulders. So adjust the height of your message table appropriately (tips of your fingers should be just touching the couch while standing)
Unfortunately colleges don't teach the correct way of how to maintain good posture and how to look after ourselves.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you YuMeSkin. That's great advice, will take it onboard. Thanks everyone!x

I'm in the same situation. Work in a five star spa with no limit on massage! We forever have girls phoning in sick or off with RSI, swollen tendons etc it's a nightmare. I've been there 7 years and no way could I cope with working there full time anymore, my wrists are too sore, I went to 3 days a week to now just one day (I'm mobile also) all I can say is keep the correct posture, make sure you are bending your knees as eventually it will take its toll on your back also. And use elbows and forearms as much as you can. Do small arm and wrist stretches at the start of each day and when it's too much I find combination of rest, ice and heat on my wrists does the trick. Unfortunately there's not much else you can do, which is a shame if you love doing massage like me! Hope this helps xx

I'm in the same situation. Work in a five star spa with no limit on massage! We forever have girls phoning in sick or off with RSI, swollen tendons etc it's a nightmare. I've been there 7 years and no way could I cope with working there full time anymore, my wrists are too sore, I went to 3 days a week to now just one day (I'm mobile also) all I can say is keep the correct posture, make sure you are bending your knees as eventually it will take its toll on your back also. And use elbows and forearms as much as you can. Do small arm and wrist stretches at the start of each day and when it's too much I find combination of rest, ice and heat on my wrists does the trick. Unfortunately there's not much else you can do, which is a shame if you love doing massage like me! Hope this helps xx

This takes me back to my first spa job. Your body is so run down from the physical work that you are so vulnerable to everything that's going round. I used to get very stressed calling in sick because there was a bit of a fear culture generated with the the potential for a disciplinary being given for a very small number of sick days. This sort of pressure got to be too much in the end....shame really because spas can be a rewarding place to work but only if things are managed well.

I am going to give it my best shot but can't help feeling that I won't be there forever. I really enjoy massage but there is a limit. Just been on YouTube to take a look at hands free massage and will work on using these techniques as much as I can. Love your idea of ice and heat on the wrists Kathryn135. Thanks.x

When I used to work at a spa, I did 16 back massages in one day!

I used my elbows and forearms ALOT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds exhausting!!!

Hi.

Tough job you have.

Exercise your wrists before starting each massage.
Weight of your body should be your power house, not your wrists or your shoulders. So adjust the height of your message table appropriately (tips of your fingers should be just touching the couch while standing)
Unfortunately colleges don't teach the correct way of how to maintain good posture and how to look after ourselves.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Couldn't agree more - at least level 3 courses don't. It is all about posture and using your body, not your hands/wrists/arms. Think Tai Chi - the power comes through the legs and pelvis. I've just done 5.5 hours back to back massage with a 15 minute break - and will be doing similar tomorrow. I have done for the last 20 years - no ill effects. Jing massage teach proper posture and how to massage so would highly recommend doing some courses with them.

Thank you for that jcpark. I've checked out their website and will definitely look into doing a course with them.

I am going to give it my best shot but can't help feeling that I won't be there forever. I really enjoy massage but there is a limit. Just been on YouTube to take a look at hands free massage and will work on using these techniques as much as I can. Love your idea of ice and heat on the wrists Kathryn135. Thanks.x

This is a normal approach to working in a spa. It's worth the experience but physically it's a job with a shelf life. It can also get a bit samey after a while unless your employer likes to add things to the treatment menu and offer product training.

Latest posts

Back