Please recommend gel products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirsty

Reaction score
Hi, I'm doing a gel course and need a good gel / gels that don't cost the earth. Any sugestions?

Also, can anyone tell me why sometimes the uv lamp burns fingers / nails?

Thanks in advance,
Kirsty.

Hey hun which brand of gel are you training in at present? and is it soak off or buff off?

I am sure your course provider can advise you of any issues that you having, but im a helpful geek lol, You will find that the gel burning under uv lamp is known as a heatspike, this is where the gel is applied too thick onto the nail.

hth
Sue

Hi, I'm doing a gel course and need a good gel / gels that don't cost the earth. Any sugestions?

Also, can anyone tell me why sometimes the uv lamp burns fingers / nails?

Thanks in advance,
Kirsty.

Hi ya,
It would be best to use the products that they are going to teach you to use, so if youve booked onto a Calgel course for example, i would suggest that you use their products.

Sometimes you can feel a burning sensation when you put the nails under the lamp to cure if the gel has been applied too thickly or if maybe the natural nail was in bad condition ie, been over filed and really thin etc.

haze x

I hate to say it, but I'm training with Essential nails (at home) Only because I'm a single mum. I want to try a few different gels to see what I get on with but don't know where to start!

As for the heatspike thing, thanks for the advice but that's raised a new question - The course says to use 3 layers of gel and if I make the second layer thinner then the finished nails will be weak so is it acceptable to use more layers?

Thanks a million,
Kirsty.

Hi, why do hate to say your doing an EN course, if its working for you as it has for a lot of Geeks on here including me, then why apologise for the fact.
The heat spike comes with the amount of gel you put on THAT layer, once that layer has cured it doest effect the next layer iykwim.. it is acceptable to use more layers. X

I hate to say it, but I'm training with Essential nails (at home) Only because I'm a single mum. I want to try a few different gels to see what I get on with but don't know where to start!

As for the heatspike thing, thanks for the advice but that's raised a new question - The course says to use 3 layers of gel and if I make the second layer thinner then the finished nails will be weak so is it acceptable to use more layers?

Thanks a million,
Kirsty.

To be honest, i think youll find that most companies that people would recommend to you ,you would need to do at least a conversion course to be able to buy their products or in some cases have a recognised certificate already,which im sure not all companies recognise the course your doing.I would ring the company whos products your interested in and ask them direct. I also think its best to do a course in the products you want to use so you can get the best out of them, as some products are different to others, in how you use them.

I would say if it tells you to do 3 layers then do what it says , but maybe try doing 3 thinner layers rather than 3 thick layers,ive never used essential nails products so im not sure what they are like,i presume that they are builder gels, just keep practcising and reading through your notes, youll get there eventually it just takes time.
Hope thats of some help to you.
Haze x

I said that because I would rather be doing my practical work on real hands, as I worry that I might be filing too hard but the nail trainer doesn't say 'Ow' also if I had done the entire course this way I would not have discovered heat spiking until after I am qualified.

One more question (for now) Is it really possible to create a perfect shape so no filing is required? I'm finding it really difficult!

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Yes it is possible, I remember asking the same question.lol..my nails looked like the rockiest road ever, then one day it just clicked, like everything else. You will amaze yourself when it happens.
Have you got any friends or family you can practice on as well so you have 'real' hands to work on. I must admit I don't remember ever having heat spike with Dream gel. I am sure you will crack it with more practice hun... if I can be of any help feel free to pm me ..x

I said that because I would rather be doing my practical work on real hands, as I worry that I might be filing too hard but the nail trainer doesn't say 'Ow' also if I had done the entire course this way I would not have discovered heat spiking until after I am qualified.

One more question (for now) Is it really possible to create a perfect shape so no filing is required? I'm finding it really difficult!

Thanks to everyone for your help.

See if you can get some family and friends that are willing to let you practice on them, imo theres nothing like the real thing !:lol:
BOB my nail trainer :lol: is great for some things but not for everything !
I think it is possible to to create a perfect shape without any filing but it takes a lot of practice ,and i wouldnt worry too much about that at the moment, i definatly aint there yet either. :hug:
Haze x

I did my left hand - I'm right handed and didn't even contemplate a left handed attempt lol. I experienced the heat spike on a couple of nails. They all broke within 2 days!

I also did my neighbours nails but she has really odd shaped nails, lumps, dips, bends and all sorts so not very sucessful, not to mention she seemed to have a reaction to the product!

I was supposed to be doing my friend's tomorrow but don't have enough gel left.

Thanks again x.

Just tap your nails on the desk if you get heat spike. Don't worry we all have various problems when we first start out. It's practise that will minimalise the amount of filing, so don't expect too much of yourself straight away. :hug:

With regards to the neighbour i assume it is just the heat spike as opposed to a reaction as such. Make sure you don't apply any gel to the skin.

There are many different gels on the market, some you will need to train with to be able to use their products, some you don't need to.

But just keep practising and you'll be fine! Any questions just ask away :)

the cause of the heat spike is the speed that the gel cures at.
if you cure it more slowly you will prevent the heatspike.

after applying the gel place the hand at the entrance of the uv lamp in the glow of the light and count to 20 before you place the lamp fully into the lamp.

the gel surface will cure slowly and prevent any heat that is a result of friction produced when the molecules in the gel move quickly to join into long chains and form a solid.

by the way, its perfectly acceptable to use a file to shape the gel.

I was taught with the heat spike, when it happens get the client to press down hard with the flat of the finger for 2 - 3 secs and the burn disappears.

Apparently its done to the molecules moving as they set and so creating heat as they wiggle about! The pressing down bit stops 'em!

Cool eh!:)

Whilst I would practice with the cheaper ranges, I would invest on a conversion course with a quality system once qualified and confident. I use Creative Brisa gel which is high quality and reliable. Clients will pay more for quality and reliability thus balancing out the extra outlay

Latest posts

Back