Please tell me I'll speed up!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solarstar

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just done a course in acrylics and apparently my standard is good as far as shape and blending goes but its taking me about 2 and half hours at the mo!!!! LOL. Im practicing still but am worried that i wont gain much speed. was everyone like this at the start of their wonderful new skill???:eek:

Yes it does take time to build your speed up. By the sounds of it your not that slow anyway. Where did you do your training hun?

I had a home trainer through The Independant Nail Company. It was really good but I felt like we didnt get to physically do everything. We only put on a couple of nails each and then she told us how to do the rest like infill and remove. Im feeling better cos Ive asked tuns of questions on the phone to trainer and now on here getting more info. Ive put on two full sets now and am practicing on my 'practice hand' I bought off Ebay LMAO!!!! Weird plastic thing but I can get my speed up on this:eek:

x

I had a home trainer through The Independant Nail Company. It was really good but I felt like we didnt get to physically do everything. We only put on a couple of nails each and then she told us how to do the rest like infill and remove. Im feeling better cos Ive asked tuns of questions on the phone to trainer and now on here getting more info. Ive put on two full sets now and am practicing on my 'practice hand' I bought off Ebay LMAO!!!! Weird plastic thing but I can get my speed up on this:eek:

x

Can you get insurance with this kind of course? I've never heard of them!!

Yes my current holistic insurance covers me for applying nails with my training. The woman who runs it is called Sylvia Johnson and I looked her up online and she writes for some nails/beauty pages as well as runs training. She has been in the business about 18 years. They run courses aswell but I chose home tuition so that my friend and me could maximum attention.

Peace out xx

your timing so far is pretty good hun dont think you need to worry it is all practice but all techs are different some take longer than others .... once your application is in top form and you are happy then try speed up .... the worst thing i found when i was learning was trying to run b4 i could walk ... i made many mistakes and even forgot things cause i wanted to be quicker .... so when your confident then practice on timmings :) xxx

Hi hun at the moment i am at 2hrs for full set P&W, i'm not worried as with practice i'm sure my timing will get better, whatever you do make sure you do everything properly and take your time rushing or cutting corners will not help, dont worry it will come!! Hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Solastar!
Please don't think you're the only one hun. I completed my training in June and am still taking approx 2 1/2 hours to do p & w with tips and 2 hrs to do a natural set with tips. I did a set yesterday, which I was really proud of, as my cuticles were just about spot on and all my apexes were nicely curved. Also I didn't take ages buffing it all smooth at the end!! Anyway, I advised my new client of the time I take and she accepted it no probs. In fact, once I'd finished she comented on how much better they were than the last ones she'd had done in an hour! It's the quality that counts hun, not the time you take to do them - in my opinion anyway!! Keep at it and you will get better and quicker - naturally. HTH!

Thanks everyone for your support!! Im finding myself looking at everyones nails now!! I keep seeing ones on shop assistants that look flawless in shape and thinking how do you get them like that without a machine??!!! Haha. Mine look nice but are very natural looking compared to the very 'sculptured' look of a practiced application. Maybe my acrylic is too thin?

:confused: ??

Hey hun, don't stress about times too much,Betcha customers would be far happier with a perfect set of beautiful nails that took 2-2.5 hours than a rough set that took an hour.
Speed will come in time but it aint worth stressing over!!!:hug:

Debz xx

*~* I just did a new full set today w/natural acrylic overlay & tips and took me 2 1/2 hrs. so you're certainly in the "ball-park" :) By the way I noticed you're into "Reiki", we just took a 4-hr. class thru our school in Reflexology with a Wonderful instructor who also does Reiki. The body is just Amazing isn't it, the nail techs & estetician class got to go and also practice on each others "feet" (our school has both types of classes). Truly "enlightening" :green:

Hi Honey
Two and a half hours is really good for starting out time wise....but that isn't something you need to worry about just yet. Get each of your steps down to an art form, from your prep to your product ratio etc. When each of those are consistant your time will follow suit. I always found when starting out I didn't trust my judgement then more filing was required....excess filing takes alot of time, sometimes feels like years lol. Quicker to saw a piece of wood hehe.

Its better to take your time and the outcome is gorgeous rather than rushed and have even more work to do on the clients return appointments. Its not the actual full sets that keep you busy its the rebalances.

In a little while you will be answering the same thing to help another, you will see:) You have acomplished alot so far, so this will be a breeze. Keep it up you will do great!

By the way your art work on your webpage rocks!!

Take care of you
x

Its QUALITY not QUANTITY(ie: time)!! Clients that you WANT will know the difference, so don't stress about how long you're taking!! Just do your BEST work, clients will follow no matter how long it takes you, and from the sounds of it, your timing is just fine :)

Thanks guys for this.

Im feeling a bit dispondant at the mo. I cant seem to get any interest for practicing, I had a couple of people book then cancel. I keep looking at pics of others and wondering how I'll get there!!! The practice hand is just going to get major use!! Haha :eek:

Having just completed my courses at the beginning of the year, I was about 2 hrs a set as well. Now I am down to 1hr 15mins. So in answer to your question, yes you will get faster as you learn where you can save those extra few minutes. The key for me was getting the product as smooth as possible in the first place, saves a whole lot of time on the filing afterwards.

The more you do, the faster you will get, so work on that plastic hand everyday.
Thats the trouble with virtual training (you are basically left to your own devices), if only you had someone human guidance during training, in real time, to solve the "here and now probs". The phone just doesn't hack it for training.
Don't despair, look up a reputable supplier and do a course with them "in person" so you can feel part of something, rather than alone and "voyeur training".

I trained in may and i'm still at 2hours, it doesnt bother me cause i know im doing the best i can and thats what counts xxx

I'm in the same boat. :cry:

I take about the same time as you for a set but end up taking around the same time for the infills (P&W). I'm seriously thinking for booking some one-to-one time to get this figured out. I work part time and mobile and have thought of maybe getting a salon job for a while just to get some extra practice but its not practical with my kids school hours. Makes me think about giving up but don't want to cos I enjoy it so much.

Ho hum :cry:

Latest posts

Back