Pocket lifting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammi010

Reaction score
I have one Client who I go to every 2 weeks, she regularly has pocket lifting on either one of her thumbs or index fingers. Never anywhere else, and usually on her right hand, she's right handed.

She has tips with NSI balance gel.

She swears blind that she is always very careful and never puts her nails under stress, and to be fair the rest of her nails hold true to this.

Is there anything else other than force/stress which could cause pocket lifting? bearing in mind it doesn't happen on any of her other nails. Or is the only answer to accept that these nails take more of a battering and try to build a stronger enhancement?

She can swear until she's purple in the face.
But if all the other fingers are ok, and there's a discernible pattern AND your other clients are fine; then she's either using those fingers as 'tools' or frequently banging them by accident.

Many will say "Ohh but I'm not rough with my hands!!".
Truth is in the pudding. They simply may not be aware of all that they do or how rough they are. Some have a high thresh-hold for pain and won't feel the 'bangs'.

Obviously your application will be the same on all 10fingers, so if it's the same fingers all of the time; it's definately something she's doing.

People are rougher than they think.
It's all in 'how' people use their hands, and NOT what they're actually doing ("ohhhh I don't do anything rough, I'm not landscaping or anything")

For example, some folks just throw their hand into the washing machine to pull out clothes without a thought - fingers extended.
WHOOPS one gets banged against the agitator, or caught or whatever.
"I" make a fist before putting my hand into the washer, and then open it up to grab the clothes. I never bang my fingers in there.
For the seatbelt - I never use the end of my finger to push the button, I crook my finger and use my knuckle.

I painted and renovated my house over a 2wk period: painting, wall-paper stripping, replaced baseboards, fixed doors, ripped up flooring and put new flooring, etc etc etc.
I never broke a single nail.

THEN there's my friend, all she has to do is make supper and she breaks a nail.

Encourage your client to be more aware of HOW she's doing things, the 'what' is not important.

hths'

I totally agree with Victoria.
I have redone my garden moved the greenhouse and had no problems.
Mum however!!!! This is the conversation. I had with her on Tuesday
Mum - vicki my gel has come off these three fingers. It's never going to last on holiday
Me - what were you doing
Mum - cleaning the oven
Me - wearing gloves?
Mum - no
Well what can I say. Had to leave the room

Sometimes it does not have to be a trauma ... it can be a repetitive action such as flicking a cigarette lighter or using your fingers to pick or scratch something off a surface like a work top etc. She is going to have to examine carefully what she does and work WITH you if she wants to solve the problem.

I would take particular care of those two nails when applying your product and make sure that your mix is right, that you press the product you are using firmly onto the surface as you work it, and that you never wet the area where the pocket lifting occurs before you apply a bead to it.

If you are a smile line swiper, then make sure you never wet the nail plate in zone two when you are swiping (best not to have to swipe at all when you do your smiles) as pocket lifting will result if repetitive action occurs.

HTH

Thanks for your replys, and even more so for confirming what I was hoping.

She can swear until she's purple in the face.
But if all the other fingers are ok, and there's a discernible pattern AND your other clients are fine; then she's either using those fingers as 'tools' or frequently banging them by accident.

This is it, the only other person I experience this with are my thmbs occasionally but I know exactly what causes that - plaiting up horses.

Mum - cleaning the oven
Me - wearing gloves?
Mum - no
Well what can I say. Had to leave the room

:lol:

She is going to have to examine carefully what she does and work WITH you if she wants to solve the problem.

I would take particular care of those two nails when applying your product and make sure that your mix is right, that you press the product you are using firmly onto the surface as you work it, and that you never wet the area where the pocket lifting occurs before you apply a bead to it.

She has gel, I always make sure that I really work the first thin layer to try to give a good base. She is booked in on Wednesday, I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something else I hadn't thought of that could be causing this as other than this she really is one of those great clients that looks after her nails.

Thanks for your replys, and even more so for confirming what I was hoping.

This is it, the only other person I experience this with are my thmbs occasionally but I know exactly what causes that - plaiting up horses.

:lol:

She has gel, I always make sure that I really work the first thin layer to try to give a good base. She is booked in on Wednesday, I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something else I hadn't thought of that could be causing this as other than this she really is one of those great clients that looks after her nails.

Soak off or buff off gel? She needs buff off on those two nails!

Buff off now, NSI balance.

She used to have bio sculpture coloured gel but we were continually getting cracking from the side walls so switched to the buff off gel, which she loves as she can have natural looking nails or change colour as and when with polish over the top.

Obviously with the coloured gel the pocket lifting wasn't evident, with the buff off we have no breakages but this new problem.

I did some training in l&p but all my clients are gel so haven't really thought about it or had a huge amount of practice with it. Would this problem not occur, or maybe not to such an extent if we switched to this?

When I say "to such an extent" it isn't horrendous, and to be fair she isn't particularly bothered about it, but I am!

Thank you again for your advice and your take on the problem.

I think (fingers crossed) I may have found the cause.

Wednesday at her appointment there was no pocket lifting on the left hand, but still the thumb and index finger on the right hand.

I went through everything with her that might be causing it, putting more emphasis on what Geeg had said about repetitive action rather than trauma. Still nothing she could think of.

Last night I was out with some friends and saw her and her friends at another table.

She's a fiddler flicker!! She circles her thumb and index finger constantly, pushing the underside of the free edge up. I was sat there watching her do it.

Managed to speak to her when she was on her own, she didn't even realise she was doing it, like most habits I suppose, she reported back to her table and now thinks I am amazing as all her friends say that their nail techs don't even let on or even recognise them if they see them outside a salon.

She rang me this morning to say she has now realised she does it whilst driving too, but using the steering wheel to push the pad of her thumb back and push down on the underside.

Thank you all again.

Latest posts

Back