Pos software!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GazD

Reaction score
I know this subject has been discussed previously but I just cannot seem to get my head around it. The main stays on this subject are Platinum, Salon Iris, Salon Activ and DWB Solutions. I like the look of Platinum software as I can only find good reviews on it. I find it interesting that there are very few comments on the Shortcuts software, why is that? Can anyone shed some light on this minefield? Other than suggesting easy-salon lol.

Is Platinum Good?
Which of the top four is the best value?
Shortcuts is the first that comes up on Google is it over priced and not rated?

:grr:

I am also considering platinum at this moment, salon easy I have ruled out as a long term answer although may consider getting as a short term solution just to get my staff used to using a computer rather than pen and paper. I have seen shortcuts used in a salon and didn't like it, to me didn't seem very user friendly, not sure on costs on the other you have suggested so if you have them could you please share them with me. I am looking to just buy the software as can source the hardware loads cheaper than these companies supply at - One quoted £35 for a memory stick you can picj anywhere for £10 max.

I went with Centiam - UK Reseller of Kronos Salon Edition in the end after much searching myself.

When it was first installed my therapists, who aren't in the least bit computer literate were really apprehensive. Anyway, within a couple of days of using it they were really impressed with it and were 'all loved up'.

For me it's great as I can see loads of reports at a click of a button plus it helps stream line all my marketing and direct mailing to clients.

If you need any further info, ask away. Plus, if you live within an hour or so of Ipswich/Felixstowe I can come and do a demo for you

edit: You can download a free trial of it as well

Last edited:
I had narrowed mine down to 2-Platinum and Xtensions. In the end i went for xtensions as their customer service is second to none. There is always someone at the end of the phone should any problems arise. the system is very easy to use and very similar to platinum. Xtensions branched off from Platinum which is why their systems are very similar but customer service in my book is extremely important. Platinum were very helpful but at the time i purchased my system they were charging £5 a week extra for telephone support which was one phone call a week which is no good when you first have a system and need to call a few times-well if you're a technophobe like me that is!:lol: This may have changed but i am extremely happy with Xtensions and always look forward to my little chats with Adam when i call!

From what i can gather Shortcuts is like 2k a year (with hardware) + support costs, which would rape anyones business account. Im all for paying for quality but when there is companies like Platinum, Xtensions and so on that are half the price and then some, cutting shortcuts out is a no brainer.

Cogsi thanks for advising about Centiam, I have not heard of that one. I will endeavour to look into that. What is the cost of the software and the support running costs? I always get suspicious when the costs are not on the website. lol

Please if anyone can add to this i would be much appriciated.

Can anyone share any personal experience with any of the software and the support and after care?

:lol:

From what i can gather Shortcuts is like 2k a year (with hardware) + support costs, which would rape anyones business account. Im all for paying for quality but when there is companies like Platinum, Xtensions and so on that are half the price and then some, cutting shortcuts out is a no brainer.

Cogsi thanks for advising about Centiam, I have not heard of that one. I will endeavour to look into that. What is the cost of the software and the support running costs? I always get suspicious when the costs are not on the website. lol

Can anyone share any personal experience with any of the software and the support and after care?

Are you after hardware, or just a software solution for an existing computer? What do you need it to do?

Centium is actually the company name of the UK part of it. The software system is called Kronos Booking Solutions. They are fairly new (compared to the big names anyway) in this country and are working mainly on the word of mouth ethos atm, hence they don't advertise much.

You can get software only for around £500 but other costs are determined by how big your salon is, how many staff you have, whether you want your own system so you can work from home etc etc. It isn't a case of 1 size fits all as everyone has different needs.

I'm not sure off-hand how much the monthly support is but you do get unlimited support within this fee plus regular upgrades of the software so you're not going to spend your hard earned cash and then find out it's outdated within 6 months like some systems.

Like many others, I used to be horrified about how much some of these systems cost. However, since then, I've been informed of how much technical work is involved in them to get them to do everything you want so I guess it's understandable.

The other thing to remember aswell is that used correctly, ie using the emailing & SMS facilities properly, the systems should pay dividends and actually make you money.

Ruth, Software is the main issue. I understand the hardware side of things. I want it to do most things including appointments, book keeping, marketing sms ans whatever else i can get out of it.

Where does good quality stop and over priced start?

:irked:

I have ProSolutions from DWB Solutions, very good software, simple to use. You can do all sorts of management reports, accounting, client history, client spending patterns, mail outs. There is an add-on tool to send reminders via SMS to client's mobile phone
(stops no shows).

When I was looking round for software, I had an on line demonstration with them and I was able to talking to them at the same time (so I was able to ask any questions).

I went with them because they were frendly and helpful and as much as I wanted to keep the cost down, I also wanted a company who I could rely on and get good support and service (like I give my customers in my salon)

They have given me a lot of time helping me set up the system the way I want it, always friendly, willing to help and listen. I would recommend them to anyone, their web site is dwbsolutions.com

Hi there,
I work for Studio Tracker. Our system has pretty much all the same features as the others you've mentioned (SMS reminders, marketing campaigns, data capture, stock reporting) and the license fee includes unlimited free support from our tech team so you don't need to worry about not being technically minded. We have also recently developed a feature on the system which prevents staff from accessing the internet whilst at work. You can download a free trial from the website or PM me for more info.
Thanks

I too have Prosolutions from DWB Solutions, when I opened my salon I was talked into having cheap software, then I found that it didn’t do what I wanted it was too basic.
I looked on Google and found DWB Solutions, had a demo from them and liked them straight away.
They have been great, they put all my client’s records and retail stock in for me and trained all my staff. I have been with them 1 year now and have great support from them and I'm staying with them.

Liike Angelina I also use Xtensions software. I havent used any other software, but I find Xtensions is very good and easy to use!! The support is what really does it for me. When I or any of the guys in the salon have a problem we just give them a call and they help us out right away, alot of the time its not even problems with the software but the computer.
They are very friendly and easy chat too. I hope this helps and please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.:)

Hi is the Xtensions software you use free? As that is the only one I can find on the net!!
I am after software for my salon so would appreciate some feedback please on how you are finding these systems.

Thanks
Cathy

I wasn't too much of a fan of Shortcuts, personally.

Before going mobile, the salon I was in used Phorest. Their customer support is excellent and overall the system was very stable and did everything from what I can remember.

PS. The best solution, if someone would develop it, would be a cloud / online version which interacted with mobile devices. I love yahoo mail and my boyfriend uses gmail as he can cloud docs, calendar etc.

For appointments, while mobile, I had thought about using gmail calendar. Basic I know but it's like a pen and diary for me but in the cloud! :)

I have isalon. Not cheap, but I had to link two salons. I can also veiw and use on my ipad too. Great for when I'm not in salon.

I too shopped around, but struggled to find one that was futureproofed to the level that I needed. It is a big investment, so I wanted a system with the linking/ cloud based features that meant I could keep it for a long time.

It is also important with online/cloud systems to make sure you keep ownership/control of your data.

I have isalon. Not cheap, but I had to link two salons. I can also veiw and use on my ipad too. Great for when I'm not in salon.

I too shopped around, but struggled to find one that was futureproofed to the level that I needed. It is a big investment, so I wanted a system with the linking/ cloud based features that meant I could keep it for a long time.

It is also important with online/cloud systems to make sure you keep ownership/control of your data.

Yes I agree, data ownership is important.

PS. The best solution, if someone would develop it, would be a cloud / online version which interacted with mobile devices. I love yahoo mail and my boyfriend uses gmail as he can cloud docs, calendar etc.

Ah, if only such a thing had been developed and been released - for free... :)

Salonlite - The worlds first free online salon and spa management software

I should add that for some of the features mentioned in this post, you'd need our full featured desktop product (e.g. Premier Spa or Premier Style, dependent on your business), but salonlite has scheduling / SMS, which is what most people need just to start out with.

I know that this is an old thread but since there are a number of new posts I thought I'd add in too...

Disclaimer: I own a company that has recently created a booking/marketing system

I am looking for salon owners (including you or any other Geeks) to test the system. As such there's a free period of use whilst you provide feedback. As it is online like daisy21madk you can access from anywhere - truth be told we're not optimised for mobile devices but it will work on any computer :)

Let me know if interested.

Thanks,

Stefan

How much is ISalon roughly? I have had letters from these and would be interested. Are they one of the more expensive companies x

Latest posts

Back