postage and packing grrrrr

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Nail Geek said:
As far as charging VAT on it... wish that didnt have to happen as well. The fact is that if you charge for something... you must pay the Vat man 17.5% on it. :(
I have a Direct Marketing Business so I am also well used to this argument. My two pennies worth is that VAT IS NOT CHARGEABLE ON POSTAGE .... yet Designer Nails add the VAT to this bit too ;) ! !

I actually don't mind paying postage and packing on larger orders, but it does hugely increase the cost of products if you have to pay it on smaller orders. I would be far happier with a relative charge. I know how much packaging and postage costs on heavy, bulky orders but I also know what a jiffy and postage costs to despatch a pack of abrasives and if that's all I need I'm a bit peeved about the £6.50 + VAT. I'm about to run out of performance forms, if I order those alone I will be clobbered on the p&p ... so I am forced to purchase product I don't really need yet to make it "seem" worth it.

Maybe that's the point? !!!!

nat said:
I have a Direct Marketing Business so I am also well used to this argument. My two pennies worth is that VAT IS NOT CHARGEABLE ON POSTAGE .... yet Designer Nails add the VAT to this bit too ;) ! !

!!!!

Sorry Nat,

but I do believe that VAT is charged by couriers and as Designer Nails send most of their packages by courier, they will be liable to VAT. I agree that if it comes by Royal Mail then it is unfair to charge VAT, and some company's do.

Desginer Nails charges VAT on P&P as it is required by law because P&P is a charge, you must pay VAT on it. Otherwise companies would get around much of the VAT by charging less for products, but making up the loss in excess P&P.

Why would it benefit a company to charge VAT on P&P only to give it to the Tax man? It would be far wiser to find a way around it so that your customers could spend that extra 17.5% with you.

I was also told it was THE LAW many years ago by guess who??? The VAT people.

Designer Nails has been in the mail order business for MANY years now and has always complied with the law. Why on this earth would we make a surplus charge just to give it to the trax man and get people riled up??? This makes no sense at all. Believe me if we didn't have to make this charge, WE WOULDN'T.
Some companies do not do the turnover that puts them in the VAT category.
If the lady above would like the situation clarified, I can always ask the VAT office to give you a call to explain.

Postage is one of those things we just know we have to pay........unless we live within easy distance of a store or have a trade show coming up. Therefore I try to justify my orders by compiling a list and trying to buy bigger in another product each time.

I am a one man (lady!!) band (tek!!!) working from home and generally I order maybe once every 2 months. My orders always amount to somewhere around the £100 mark. Therefore my extra paid on postage is really quite negligeable (?).

Mind you the other day I bought 2 art brushes from the net, the p&p was £4.50 which was virtually the same price I paid for the brushes themselves!! And to top it all........1 brush was of no use to me!!! But hey.......there you go:rolleyes:

Adele

Sorry - didn't mean any offence here! As I said I really don't have a problem paying it, it's just on those small bit and pieces that it becomes frustrating.

Adele is right!! One needs to be smart and organized about ordering so that you get the most for your money.

Nat ... I have taken no offense to what you posted, its just that the information you posted is incorrect and you were claiming as a direct marketing business to be right.

Maybe your business is not VAT rated. In that case you don't charge.
In our case and any other large VAT rated business the law is VAT is charged on postage and packing. End of story. I'll say again, if we didn't have to do it we wouldn't.

geeg said:
Adele is right!! One needs to be smart and organized about ordering so that you get the most for your money.

Nat ... I have taken no offense to what you posted, its just that the information you posted is incorrect and you were claiming as a direct marketing business to be right.

Maybe your business is not VAT rated. In that case you don't charge.
In our case and any other large VAT rated business the law is VAT is charged on postage and packing. End of story. I'll say again, if we didn't have to do it we wouldn't.
This is easily cleared up and it is my fault for confusing the matter. I'm sorry. Postage is a zero rated item i.e VAT is not charged (we are vat registered and are in the business of posting our Client's mail every day). "Postage & Packaging/Carriage" as a service is not the same as postage alone and VAT IS chargeable.

Apologies for the confusion. And yes, we should all be more organised about placing orders and then no-one would be making a fuss! You're right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back