Pre-pigmentation & colour back error

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamaur man

Reaction score
Hello my friends.

Yesterday I had a lazy day at home, so I decided to pre-pig and color back one of my full head bleached head blocks.
My target shade was only a base 8-0

I pre-pigged the bleached head block with a the pure gold demi mix tone with 1.9%
Left it on for 15 mins and as you'd expect, the hair now has a deep golden/yellow tone. I then rinsed and lightly blow dried her head, then put on the permanent tint base 8-0 with 3% and left to process as normal.
Finally washed her hair and dried.

Her hair has gone a KHAKI base 8-0 WHY OH WHY!!

Do you think I should have not rinsed out the pre-pig, but instead just combed it out and towel blotted the hair, then put the target 8-0 tint straight on top. :irked:

You used gold then neutral, khaki is about right :) put red mixtone in with a 7/4 or and light red in your colours and should b fine

You used gold then neutral, khaki is about right :) put red mixtone in with a 7/4 or and light red in your colours and should b fine

Thanks Blue, but if I wanted a target color of 8-0, wouldn't the red mix tone be too strong and show through the base 8-0
Also if I used the 7/4 it would be darker and redder than 8-0
I'm confused now. xxxxx

:(

I pre lighten mine then apply 8-0 straight on top and it goes fine x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I pre lighten mine then apply 8-0 straight on top and it goes fine x

Hi lea.

I didn't need to pre-lighten. The whole head was completely bleached in the first place. xx

Hi lea.

I didn't need to pre-lighten. The whole head was completely bleached in the first place. xx

Oh no was just saying when i have higlights i bleach to white then apply 8/0 straight over the top and does not come out khaki x

Oh no was just saying when i have higlights i bleach to white then apply 8/0 straight over the top and does not come out khaki x

Oh sorry sweets. I just mis-read it.
What permanent color base 8 would you use over bleached hair that wouldn't go kharki. x

If wanting a base of 8-0 you'd always need some warmth so prepig the way you did then I would use something like 8/38 which would be enough to look around an 8 others might do it different but I never go for flat colours always a tone to it :)

If wanting a base of 8-0 you'd always need some warmth so prepig the way you did then I would use something like 8/38 which would be enough to look around an 8 others might do it different but I never go for flat colours always a tone to it :)

Ok, I'd tell a real client to probably expect some warmth to the base 8-0 unless she really does want it kharki.

Thanks again Blue.
I've learn't from you.
Love you to. xx

There you go. I am a poet and didn't even know it. :Dx

Don't forget blocks are great for practicing colour application, different techniques and cutting but you won't get true colours on them

Don't forget blocks are great for practicing colour application, different techniques and cutting but you won't get true colours on them

Yes I realise that the results won't be perfect, although mine does have 100% human hair. But yes, the hair on them will be a mixture of different hairs from different people with different color pigments ect. xx

You applied the correct undertone- your gut was right, you should have left it on and just blotted off the excess.

That would have given you a neutral result after the tint.
Ideally, though, a pre-pig with no peroxide is better - like a semi, or a stain.(Wella - colour touch or perfecton, or mix a permanent mixtone with warm water)

:)

Can i ask when would you use a flat colour? On mine it is ok because i have a lot of natural warmth in my hair so when i bleach its still throws warmth out so imwhen i put the 8/0 on it wont be a flat colour will it x

I only use base shades when toning very warm hair(Asian) or covering grey or lifting natural hair.

Can i ask when would you use a flat colour? On mine it is ok because i have a lot of natural warmth in my hair so when i bleach its still throws warmth out so imwhen i put the 8/0 on it wont be a flat colour will it x

Yes that can happen, but very bleached hair, especially almost white bleached hair won't have any pigment left in it because the bleach would have dissolved all the natural pigments out. Hence you need to pre-pig back in with warm tones to accept your target color when coloring back. xx

Hello my friends.

Yesterday I had a lazy day at home, so I decided to pre-pig and color back one of my full head bleached head blocks.
My target shade was only a base 8-0

I pre-pigged the bleached head block with a the pure gold demi mix tone with 1.9%
Left it on for 15 mins and as you'd expect, the hair now has a deep golden/yellow tone. I then rinsed and lightly blow dried her head, then put on the permanent tint base 8-0 with 3% and left to process as normal.
Finally washed her hair and dried.

Her hair has gone a KHAKI base 8-0 WHY OH WHY!!

Do you think I should have not rinsed out the pre-pig, but instead just combed it out and towel blotted the hair, then put the target 8-0 tint straight on top. :irked:

By 'left to process as normal' do you mean that you let it develop for 30 minutes? If so, this is where your problem came from. It should have taken no more than 10 minutes to develop on such porous hair. Leaving it any longer would lead to khaki tones.

I only use base shades when toning very warm hair(Asian) or covering grey or lifting natural hair.

Ahh ok thanks :) x

By 'left to process as normal' do you mean that you let it develop for 30 minutes? If so, this is where your problem came from. It should have taken no more than 10 minutes to develop on such porous hair. Leaving it any longer would lead to khaki tones.

Yes I did leave to process for 30 mins, but I was watching the hair every 5-10 mins and the the target color did not start showing until around 20 mins anyway.

As blue said, I should have used a base 8 color with a warm tone as well.
Or maybe used a more copper/gold pre-pig instead of just the gold as I used.
xx

Latest posts

Back