Pregnant Mobile Tech - wow! and uh-oh!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraphine

Reaction score
I've been working as a mobile tech for about 18 months. I have a really good clientele, and my name has been getting out there a lot lately as I've had tons of recommendations. I'm working part-time, as I have a 3 year old who just started nursery, so it's a lot of afternoon and evening work, but I have about as much work as I can handle by myself at the moment. I have lots of advertising material, but am afraid to put it out there in case I'm too busy! (it's a lovely position to be in!)

Well.... I just found out that I'm 8 weeks pregnant after a year of trying. We are absolutely thrilled, but I'm just trying to get some ideas as to how to best handle my business during the rest of my pregnancy and once the new baby arrives. Does anyone have some advice?

Some points I'm currently pondering:

* I will be having a c-section (non-negotiable... I tried, honestly!) and will be unable to drive for 6 weeks after the delivery. I will try to set up something at home to work during this time. But what to do with the baby? (my husband is the one that gets uptight about me using monomer in the house or near our son, so I imagine he'll be worse when this baby is born)

* I don't know any other techs personally in this area. Would it be worth trying to find someone who'd be willing to take on some of my clientele for 4-6 weeks after my delivery? While I'm worried about losing my hard-earned clientele, I also don't want to leave them all in a lurch.

* Ventilation - because I'm mobile, I've not been too worried about this so far, but I'm trying to be more careful now. I'd like to order the Fuminator (NSI). I keep my monomer covered (thankfully it doesn't seem to be bothering me as I understand it makes some pregnant techs queasy), avoid skin contact, and get rid of my rubbish frequently. Any other tips?

* Pedicures - help! I did one the other day and already I'm noticing comfort issues in myself (I'm showing quite early). Has anyone stopped doing them later in pregnancy for this reason, or do you just work around it? Any positions you can recommend?

I'm sure there's more - I've just got so many things running around my head right now. Not to mention all the issues I'm going to have with childcare once the baby arrives! I love my career and just want to find a happy, healthy balance.

Can I hear some wise words?
Thanks
Dawn

I'm hoping to be pregnant in a couple of years (getting married next year) and so will be in the same situation. I'm interested to hear peoples ideas. I was thinking of moving to having a home salon if possible or cutting out a lot of treatments that need my massage couch.:confused:

Oh and congratulations by the way! :)

im in the same situation im pregnant and have just stopped some of my mobile stuff 2 work full time renting in a salon timing couldnt be worse but really dont know wot 2 do about clients!! its hard isnt it i was going to post a thread like tihs but you have done it already! lol!

Congrats on the baby!!!!

Ill be interested to see wot others have 2 say aswell!:hug:

Hi Dawn

Congratulations on your good news.. It is hard been mobile and pregnant or hqaving a young child.. My boy is two and my daughter is 1 at the end of the mth and Im mobile as well as completed another college course when I was carrying my daughter. took two wks off and its hard going. If I lived near I would gladly help you out with your clients so that they didnt go else where. good luck..

PS good luck to the other geeks who are expecting too...

Tracey - I wished you lived closer too! I'd have lots of work for you!

I'm so tired today. I've got a full afternoon and evening booked, and a really long day tomorrow, and I slept so badly last night. I took a prescription capsule (not a sedative) right before I went to bed, and it seemed to "stick" part way down. I had a drink, ate some bread, and it was still there. It felt like it was catching every time I took a breath, and then developed into terrible heartburn. I didn't drop off til about 3 and my son got up at 8. I'd love to crawl back into bed just now!

Thanks for your good wishes - I'd still love to hear how other pregnant techs managed. Because I work around my son's schedule to minimise the amount I spend on childcare I didn't want to rent a room full time, but I just don't know how to proceed just now.

I'm excited, but confused!

Coongratulations!!

With regard to doing pedicures whilst pregnant, I managed ok up until about 6 months, I too showed early on and baby was all out front and very low down. I was advised by my GP not to carry out pedicures and to be cautious about how I sat and bent, due to the baby being very low it put an enormous amount of stress on my abdominal muscles and was advised this to avoid tearing them.

I dont want to scare you but just wanted to share with you my experience.

I'm 21 weeks and have lost alot of clientel due to being so sickly (I was ill) and was off work for about 6 weeks.

So I am doing just little bits - I am ok with pedis at the mo - and remain comfortable througout. I have to pre arrange for someone to lift my bed if I am doing waxing.

My bump is quite small (but scan revealed baby perfect size) so I am still quite mobile. Sitting doing nails for an hour can be uncomfortable.

The only major problem I have had so far is the sciatica - where the baby lies on a nerve and you can barely walk its so uncomfortable.

But being pregnant and mobile is tough going - i think its hard work being mobile and NOT being pregnant.

Congratulations to you.

Paula
x

Congratulations! that is great news!

How about taking somebody on a temporary contract to cover your work? that way you will not lose your clients whilst you are off and it may be less stressful for you?

I am not sure how easy/difficult it is employing a mobile therapist and how easy it would be to manage such a contract.

all the best!

Latest posts

Back