Pregnant women and acetone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellymac

Reaction score
Hi all,

Iv got an app thursday with a lady who is 9 months pregnant. All i know is she has had acrylic for a long time and wants them removed and manicure before baby arrives. Iv done very few removals, would it be safe to use acetone?

Cheers

Kelly:)

hi
please be careful hun im not trying to scare you but acetone is said to affect unborn babies especially exposure early in pregnancy it has been associated with miscarriage the use of Solvents can affect the developing nervous system of the fetus, producing abnormalities including craniofacial abnormalities and learning deficits.solvents are breathed in via the vapours and through the skin...i would wait till after she has the baby...if your really stuck and she is adamant call up the nhs helpline they'll set you straight....im an ex nurse hun before changing my career.

when dealing with a peg client you should be care full hun. hths.Acetone has for a long time been labeled a bad chemical.Many people believed it was responsible for all kinds of problems such as liver disease. However ,nail tecs use such small amounts that it poses little , if any threat.Acetone is an effective solvent that can be used safely in the home or salon enviroment to remove atificail nails ..HTH

Last edited:
Thank-you both very much for your replies, I will explain this to my lady. She has said they are very thick enhancements-she has being going to the local vietnamese salon so imagine they are going to be pretty hard to remove anyway:rolleyes:

Im glad I came on here beforehand

Kellyx

I dont think your client would need to worry to much. Yes all solvents are dangerous if not used correctly, like if she drank it.

I would go by doug schoon advise, his the man who knows.

i clicked on your thread sandi and read the article ....i gave advice to kelly but mind you it's been years since i left nursing and my brain is kinda 11 yrs out of date lol .. everything is upgraded and the times change when it comes to using products on the skin in this day and age ...your right if there was potential harm then we wouldn't be allowed to use these products at all .we are taught that consideration for the health & safety of all individuals is important when using beauty,nail and skin products on our clients but we are all exposed to chemicals anyway everyday..car fumes,cleaning fliuds blah blah blah ...i was kinda worried i frightened the poor love ....:eek:

jane x

well, laws can still change tho I hope they don't!

but I read her nails were done by a viet and were thick? so buff off may be a good option as it may take ages to soak off.

She has said they are very thick enhancements-she has being going to the local vietnamese salon so imagine they are going to be pretty hard to remove anyway:rolleyes:

but I read her nails were done by a viet and were thick?
I really don't think any assumptions can be made until the nails are seen 'in the flesh' so to speak.

Re her going to a Vietnamese salon... there are good and bad technicians of every nationality!

Sorry to go off thread slightly, but, would the same wording and assumptions be used/made if MMA and NSS were only applicable to white or black technicians?

Thanks for your replies, I will read the articles fully.

No intention of stereo typing people, this salon is very popular- Im not sure what products this salon uses but a few young girls at the gym have them done there and they look nice but are extremely thick and hard to budge! Hence why I thought they would be difficult to remove:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks again...

Kelly:)

Latest posts

Back