price wars!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michelle g

Reaction score
every month I do a special offer on a particular treatment and so far
has been a great sucess.
But there is a tanning salon a few doors up from me that is undercutting
every treatment I offer. a few people have approached me saying oh I hear you are in price wars with up the road!
I have never been in price wars and couldn't afford to anyway as they are offering nail extensions at £12.50 and manicures at £6 and pedicures £7.
I used to be able to rise above it and believe I am worth so much more than a cheap set of nails.
but it is starting to get to me big time.
I have added new treatments to the salon like spray tanning and eyelash extensions but as soon as I do this they start doing it and at at a lower price.
I still have my clients but am worried they will go there because it's cheaper especially with the credit crunch.
what should I do?
I feel I should take a different approach to things regarding promotions and advertising but don't know what!
any ideas?

do know the quality of the services they are offering....they might be doing cheep nails but are they any good, does anyone ever go back..??

if they are cheep and GOOD then i am stumped...but if they are cheep and rubbish i wouldn't worry. people may go there once but not return...and i guess thats where you come in, people will then see that your prices reflect your skills.. x

thanks for your reply I have had a client from there because her nails only lasted a week!
do you think I should concentrate on letting people know what I can do rather than doing offers.
you know like glitter tips extending nail beds that type of thing?

to be offering it so cheap i wonder what type off products they use also i would not get into lowering your own prices or letting them know its getting to you i saw a very good slogan somewhere on some eaflet that caught my eye and stayed with me, it said
we can be matched on prices but not quality

so i would still continue doing what your doing people will try them since there cheaper but if there not getting the same results they wont go back just give it bit off time and stay confident

to be offering it so cheap i wonder what type off products they use also i would not get into lowering your own prices or letting them know its getting to you i saw a very good slogan somewhere on some eaflet that caught my eye and stayed with me, it said
we can be matched on prices but not quality

so i would still continue doing what your doing people will try them since there cheaper but if there not getting the same results they wont go back just give it bit off time and stay confident

That is a great slogan.
thanks for your reply:hug:

I agree... these cheep places doing rubbish nails are like tesco's stripy loo roll...false economy !! clients end up paying out twice.

I would get some great pics in your window or local rag showing the work you do...

cheep places like this are looked upon as cheep for a reason...you don't want to end up with the same reputation by matching their prices.

Do you want a skoda or a ferrari?

You say this salon is cheap - compared to what? Compared to you? See above!

Embrace your competition. They are what you can aspire not to be. Anyone in business long enough knows what it takes price-wise to stay afloat. In all businesses people come along, start price wars, and generally go bust within a couple years (not talking big boys here, obviously!).

Some clients think because you charge more you will be better (whether you are or not!). Just make sure you are!

I recently increased some of my prices quite dramatically (with a view to lowering them for some special offers) and not one of my regular customers has made a negative comment so I haven't needed to do the special offers.

Needless to say, I will now be increasing them more regularly from now on (in smaller increments of course).

Ah well you know what they say Michelle "Pay peanuts, get monkeys":)

Clients equate price with quality. Besides, NSS aren't really your competition anyhow. Educate your clients about unsafe practices and you shouldn't have a thing to worry about! Best of luck to you, I think you ought to celebrate by going up on your prices a bit!

P. S. The best thing that happened around here was the local news station to do an expose' on the NSS!

i too have this problem with a hair salon down the road, they keep getting different 'beauticians' in, but they dont last more than a month!
and ive heard from even the girls that work there that they cant compete with us, even though we are double the price!!!!!
the fact is you get what you pay for! i would rather pay more for a treatment just for the peace of mind it would be good!
their prices sound ludicras!
prove yourself and your client base will be forever loyal to you! xxxx

Do you want a skoda or a ferrari?

If you're buying a mascara do you always buy one at £2.22 from Tesco? Do you always go to the cheapest hairdresser you can find? Do you always book into the cheapest 2* hotel for your hols?

The majority of people WANT to buy better and more expensive for many reasons including proving their own self-worth. Don't get yourself down over this, you're doing a good thing:)

i hear you on that one, i rent out a space in a hair salon and i had a nail bar open right next door to me!not only are there prices dirt cheap they have had 20% off for the last two months, i have a big enough client base to get by but my walk in rate has reduced, but i know it wont be long because i have had a few clients come from there already, one said they couldnt speak english! and they took off half of another ladies eyebrows!
it really upset me at first and i cant say some days it still doesnt when i walk past and see someone in there, but in the long run the quality will shine through, because i love my job my proffession is my life and i could never imagine doing anything else and your clients notice those things. just recently our council sent some information around to beauty salons about bad chemicals, i leave this information in my waiting area and i find other articles to educate my clients and they look at it. youll be fine, never compete, it makes you look needy for clients forget they are there, compition is healthy.

Thanks for your replies I took on board what you have all said and I have
put a sign in my window saying can be beat on price but not on quality and a notice stating the qualifications of staff and our abilities ie. glitter tips, custom blending and encased nail art and have put the price up for these.
well it caused a little audience from the tanning shop with a frowned look on there face with list of treatments lol
I have been told the girl working there didn't even know what white powder was used for and couldn't do repairs so I know I have no worries it was just bugging me that they were undercutting my prices.
but now all clients know that the nails I do are different and not just white or natural tips.
I feel better now thanks to you all and your advice

Thanks for your replies I took on board what you have all said and I have
put a sign in my window saying can be beat on price but not on quality and a notice stating the qualifications of staff and our abilities ie. glitter tips, custom blending and encased nail art and have put the price up for these.
well it caused a little audience from the tanning shop with a frowned look on there face with list of treatments lol
I have been told the girl working there didn't even know what white powder was used for and couldn't do repairs so I know I have no worries it was just bugging me that they were undercutting my prices.
but now all clients know that the nails I do are different and not just white or natural tips.
I feel better now thanks to you all and your advice

thats great yeah i liked that slogan when i saw it, we may be matched on price but not on quality its good, dont worry about the competition because its priced lower people will automatically go there to see what its like but when they realise its dearer in the long run they will come flocking to you so stay confident

Latest posts

Back