Prices!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou x

Reaction score
I charge £20 for my spray tans and am refusing to budge!
I have a high belief if "you get what you pat for!"

Although i know some people charge £15 which is still reasonable but have also heard of people charging as little as £12.50 and £10 :/

We can't keep doing this to each other because it's making us all suffer!!
x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

i've seen mobile tans advertised for £8 where i am. no mention of it being an intro offer/confidence building price either? whatever though, they wont be inbusiness long enough for clients to think it's the norm. x

I'm the same as you, £20 a tan and I never do special offers, a localish salon does offers around prom time 2 tans for £15 but after seeing the bright orange umpah lumpah look I'm really not going to worry about it. The only time I charge less is if two people come together then I charge £15 each as I'm already set up and £15 at parties host tans for free if she has enough guests. Works for me and I have no interest in competing with others iv done 6 tonight! xx

Tell me about it I also charge £20 and Im struggling to get many new clients as I did 3 years ago. Ive got people charging £10 this isn't just mobile businesses this is salons aswell. I occasionally do an offer for £15 but even this clients aren't jumping at it as they used to. Im not going to drop my prices lower as its not worth it for me. I don't know how to justify my prices though when someone tells me someone else uses the same solution as me but they only charge £10 x

Same I have cheaper prices for parties but works out same as after all the people I tan at one party, thinking of the petrol I don't have to pay per person it's still worth it x

Everyone should have a £20 price and then work harder at promoting rather than just hoping everyone would come to them for being cheap! x

Not fair on the rest of us! x

I charge £20 for my spray tans and am refusing to budge!
I have a high belief if "you get what you pat for!"

Although i know some people charge £15 which is still reasonable but have also heard of people charging as little as £12.50 and £10 :/

We can't keep doing this to each other because it's making us all suffer!!
x

I totally agree with you, but its them charging less who are making less profit at end of the day ..........i to charge £20 ........i am running a half price wednesday offer through out summer ..........and every so often i give my regular customers a £5 off voucher as a little incentive. But i would never charge less unless was a offer , its just not worth it

I'd like to hear from somebody that does offer them for £8 lol x

I really doubt they use this site though!
If I heard somewhere was doing sprays for £8 even before I got into beauty I'd think f*ck that there is obviously something wrong with it!! x

I charge £12.50 for my tans. I am salon based though and I have a spray booth that cleans itself.
My regulars are in and out in 15 mins. If they come in together then even quicker.
I would definitely charge more if I was mobile as you need to take petrol costs into consideration plus travelling time.
We are trying to steer people away from using sunbeds. I have a lot of clients that have stopped using sunbeds now and have a spray tan instead. They can have 2 or 3 spray tans a month for the same amount that they were spending on sunbeds.
Some people may think £12.50 is too cheap but I make a very nice profit on that and that's with providing sticky feet, mob caps, disposable underwear, make-up remover wipes and barrier cream.
I have over 500 clients on my books and do a lot of tans. I earn more in an hour than nail technicians who have trained and practised for months and months. If nail techs were to get the same profit as me then they would have to charge about £60-£70 a set!
If I charged £25 a tan then I would be getting over £100 profit an hour!
I know people say that you need to be paid for your skill and training etc.. but it's a one day course, and let's face it, it's hardly rocket science. Nothing like what nail techs invest, so why aren't they charging £70 a set?

I charge $30 and have a home salon. I have thought about lowering my price but I think my prices are reasonable. Other salons in the area charge up to $40, the lower end being $25 for mobile I saw recently.

I do think some therapists need to realise that by undercutting it does affect the whole profession. People will charge a lot less when starting out but I don't know how they manage to cover product cost let alone cover for their time.

This is becoming the big problem with groupon, cudo and all those sites but thats a rant for another day...

I charge £20 too and have heard of other salons charging from £10 to £35!!! Yes £35 for a spray tan! Thats also in an area where you need to pay for parking too! Works out an expensive spray tan!

I found when I used to do it mobile and put an offer on for £10 on nights I was very quiet everyone would jump at it and yes you made alot of the night but it was alot of work and none would call back again! Just after a cheap tan for their night outs etc! Then move onto the next person who has an offer on!

At least when your prices are higher and people come to you they know you must be better and not desperate, and when they book in again you know you have done a great job otherwise they wouldnt come back!

I think location plays a massive part in prices I am relatively lucky where I am £20-£25 is the norm price for a spray tan, some salons charge £30-£35 here! Although I have just heard of a massive Salon which is a massive branded one is charging £15 for st tropez tans but I have had a lot of clients come from there saying they are rubbish.

People that charge £8 for a tan must be using cheap as chips solution, no sticky feet no hair caps, barrier cream etc, so eventually people using these cheap ones will realise they are rubbish!

At the end of the day you have to value yourself be confident you do a good job and keep your regulars happy, if they have built a relationship with you and trust you they will be happy to pay £20.

At the end of the day you have to value yourself be confident you do a good job and keep your regulars happy, if they have built a relationship with you and trust you they will be happy to pay £20.

Exactly - value yourself and your clients will too.

I charge £15 per tan or 2 tans for £25 if it is within a ten mile radius, if it is over i charge an extra £5 for travelling which i advise my clients on at the time of booking and most of the time they are happy to do so.

I also do a saturday special every so often when i have a queit weekend and charge £11 again this is for clients within 10 mile radius and for one day only.

I dont understand if people charge £8, how they make a profit and what tan do they use.:confused:

People who charge £20 tans well done id love to but again there are girls in my area that charge £10 a tan and buy one get one free tans, too much competition for me to charge £20 although i have been thinking about putting my prices up next year, but we will wait and see.

great thread though x

I'd like to hear from somebody that does offer them for £8 lol x

I really doubt they use this site though!
If I heard somewhere was doing sprays for £8 even before I got into beauty I'd think f*ck that there is obviously something wrong with it!! x

The college I got to do tans for as little as £6 each. It's Nouvatan so not a cheap solution and they have all the disposable etc if you ask for them. This is the price for a tan for anyone not a special student price.

There are mobile tanners in my area for £10 a tan and salons are £25 a tan and I charge £15 a tan alone or £12.50 if more than 1, party of 5 or more £12.50 each and the host is free.

I'm not as busy with tanning as I'd like but I offer other things as well as tans so I'm not worrying (also I've only been in business since Feb so early days for people to even know about me).

I'd have liked to charge £20 a tan but I know I would not get the business as there are a lot of people in my area doing mobile beauty. You can get a Sienna X tan and other big brands for £10 easily.

I'm waiting to move house to the next valley and I will be in a much better situation then as there is no mobile competition in that area at all (at present - fingers crossed it stays that way for a while) there are some salons in the town but that is a few miles away.

i charge £15.00 for tans and feel thats to cheap, i only do cos the salon that has opened directly opposite does them for £15 and is also using sienna x. i feel by the time i have bought all my solution etc which is not cheap doing them for less than £15 would nearly have you out of pocket by the time the client drys etc.

I'm mobile and charge £20 but I currently have a special whereby Sienna is £13 if another treatment is taken at the same time. Let's see how it goes...

Spray tanning isn't massive business for me, unfortunately. I guess in Liverpool there is far too much competition?

Last edited:
Where I live alot of the mobile tannists charge about £15 and the salons range from £25-£35! I use Vani-T which is not a cheap solution and charge £20 along with occasional offers and my clients come to me and stay with me because they love the solution :) I would never charge less unless it's down to an offer at the end of the day I am trusting them to b coming into my house and they trust me to do an excellent job so no complaints from my lot lol I don't understand how ppl can validate an £8 tan!! Madness lol they pay for quality and that's what they get :) xxx

I'm glad I found this thread. Sorry if it's kind of changing the subject. Im struggling with new clients. I have my regulars who I have done for years and they are really happy with the products I use.
It's just getting new ones in. The area I live in have a lot of "cheap" salons who charge £25 for full set of gel and £10 for spray tans. I charge double this.
I rent a room in a hairdressers and the people I rent off had the idea of bringing my prices down to get more people in, but there is no way I would make a profit.
I was thinking of getting a cheaper product in and offering both.
What are everyones views? I'm not sure what cheaper products are best? Any advice much appreciated x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I'm glad I found this thread. Sorry if it's kind of changing the subject. Im struggling with new clients. I have my regulars who I have done for years and they are really happy with the products I use.
It's just getting new ones in. The area I live in have a lot of "cheap" salons who charge £25 for full set of gel and £10 for spray tans. I charge double this.
I rent a room in a hairdressers and the people I rent off had the idea of bringing my prices down to get more people in, but there is no way I would make a profit.
What are everyones views? I'm not sure what cheaper products are best? Any advice much appreciated x

Have you read threads on here on advertising?
That's all you need probably is better advertisement x
Don't sell out and lower prices!!

xx

I agree with Lou, try not to be tempted to reduce your prices and sell yourself short. You do really get what you pay for with tan solutions. Maybe, offer the hairdressers a cheap or free tan so they can promote you to their clients and if they pass say 10 clients over to you they can have another free one?? Just a thought.

On the subject of price, totally agree I charge £20.00 and think we should try to stick together on pricing. Don't under-sell our skill!

Latest posts

Back