Pro opinions on colour correction options

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi all , I'm a beauty geek needing advice on some options ive been given for my colour correction :)

my hair is currently a red with violet undertones , last colour i had done was wella colour touch with permanant reds before that. I like the red but the ends fade very quickly where i'd had bleach and highlights for nearly 10 years.

My current hair is shoulder length and the ends are a faded auburn/red and about the top 3-4 inches are still pretty dark.

I want to go back to blonde but i've asked 4 different hairdressers ( trying to get the best deal money wise) and they've all told me something different so im a bit confused!

Just to assure you I will NOT be attempting to do any of these myself , tried home blonde before , 7 box dyes later i went to a hairdresser, nuff said!

options given are

1) strip hair and then add bleach highlights then toner
2) just add highlights to my existing colour , getting lighter over time
3) use colour remover, then bleach , then toner
4) strip hair , then colour with a mid brown , then add highlights.

i've also been advised to use something like head and shoulders to fade the red as much as possible whilst im waiting.

im not restricted on budget and im happy to have a few sessions to get back to the blonde i want. im happy with a darker blonde , i dont expect to go platinum ;)

are these all essentially the same thing? confused!

any help or opinions greatly appreciated thanks :)

Hia, well you have got a conundrum have'nt you lol. Well as you know you have a couple of options but i assure you with all that colour build up your hair could possibly take a beating! If you go to a salon which use's Matrix you would be doing your self a favour as there is such thing called colour graphics. Colour graphics does the same job as bleach but is kinder to your hair and it can be used in diffrent strengths also diffrent tones of blonde for example there is a pigment called blueberry which gives off cooler tones and then there is banana pigment which gives off a sun kissed blonde. Graphics are brilliant and have a conditioning agent to. Enough of me confussing you lol id personally say depending on the look you want have a full head hi-lites (quite a few not scattered ones) so then you will be left minimal what colour you have on now or get it stripped to a naff looking orange then hi-lited n toned inbetween for a more natural look. I hope this helps and i've not confussed you to much :) x gd luck x

Ok thanks for your reply, I'll try and find a salon that does matrix near me :)

Just one more question, won't any kind of highlight or bleach straight on my hair without it being stripped first go orange? Thanks

I would approach this by;
1 bleach bathing the dark out
2 foiling bleach through
3 flooding between the foils with a light brown with maybe ash tones in it depending on the result of the bleach bath
4 wash off and apply toner if needed.

Thanks for your reply, all advice appreciated! :)

Is there anything else I can do at home to help fade the red before going to the salon? Been using the head and shoulders and it's made a slight difference but not a lot to write home about! Bit annoyed really as I was told this well touch stuff was semi permanent but it's really clung to my hair :(

Thanks

ive hurd that vosene works aswel as fairy liquid believe it or not. I bought a new shampoo by VO5 called shine me and u kno something it has pulled loads of my colour out in only 3 washes x

Definitely try medicated shampoo's such as Vosene in the mean time.
I've read that Shampoo 2 & 3 from Paul Mitchell are really good at removing tint from coloured hair- So that's worth a try too!

I've just had years of red tint removed from my hair in favour of blonde highlights, I'm a natural base 5. To get mine up lighter my friend used affinage eraser which strips artificial colour from hair, only did one application but you can do more. Then highlighted with spectrum which is similar to bleaching (it's been mentioned that matrix do a product like this) then had natural tint between the foils. Mine has turned out really nice and came up far better than either of us expected and best of all it hasn't left my hair dry and horrible the condition is the same as before it was done.
I have to admit though that I am chomping at the bit to go back to having the red, the reason I changed it back to being highlighted is because the red I use to use was clynol 5.779 but this was discontinued and I've struggled to find a red as good because everything I've tried has not been red enough after colouring and then faded loads.

Latest posts

Back