Problem with a client decorating while wearing Shellac.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joingram87

Reaction score
Morning geeks :)

I have a lady (a work friend) and I have shellacked her nails twice now. First time we had no problems. 2nd time we have come across some problems.

She has natural peely nails so I put a thin layer of brisa underneath the shellac on both times. (i told her that the shellac may not last the full 14days due to this and she understood) She told me that at the weekend just gone she was going to be decorating so i advised her to wear gloves when painting and cleaning the brushes etc and she did. She txt me on Saturday saying 1 nail had peeled off completely. Today she's told me thy there are bubbles under the shellac that wernt there when I did them and they keep appearing randomly on the nails and that there is some cracking on some nails.

She said she hasnt done anything different from the first time apart from decorating and then she was wearing marigolds. I have spoken to her today and talked the last few days over. She is on ramipril (could this effect it?) and she was wearing the gloves for hours at a time over the whole weekend could the 'powder' that's inside marigolds have an effect on the shellac? She said her hands were really sweaty in them too.

She said that they also had a green tinge to them..I applied 2x iced cappuccino and 1x iced coral so I think the green tinge is the iced coral. They were all thin layers and I followed the shellac steps correctly.

No one else who I have shellacked have had this which is why i think it may be from the gloves? I may be wrong.

I have a very good relationship with her and I know she's not trying to get a refund or what ever and is totally understanding that it could be her meds (which I said i would look into before confirming) and the weak peely nails mixed with a reaction to the powder in the gloves.

If anyone can shed some light on this that would be great :)

Jo xxx
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Morning geeks :)

I have a lady (a work friend) and I have shellacked her nails twice now. First time we had no problems. 2nd time we have come across some problems.

She has natural peely nails so I put a thin layer of brisa underneath the shellac on both times. (i told her that the shellac may not last the full 14days due to this and she understood) She told me that at the weekend just gone she was going to be decorating so i advised her to wear gloves when painting and cleaning the brushes etc and she did. She txt me on Saturday saying 1 nail had peeled off completely. Today she's told me thy there are bubbles under the shellac that wernt there when I did them and they keep appearing randomly on the nails and that there is some cracking on some nails.

She said she hasnt done anything different from the first time apart from decorating and then she was wearing marigolds. I have spoken to her today and talked the last few days over. She is on ramipril (could this effect it?) and she was wearing the gloves for hours at a time over the whole weekend could the 'powder' that's inside marigolds have an effect on the shellac? She said her hands were really sweaty in them too.

She said that they also had a green tinge to them..I applied 2x iced cappuccino and 1x iced coral so I think the green tinge is the iced coral. They were all thin layers and I followed the shellac steps correctly.

No one else who I have shellacked have had this which is why i think it may be from the gloves? I may be wrong.

I have a very good relationship with her and I know she's not trying to get a refund or what ever and is totally understanding that it could be her meds (which I said i would look into before confirming) and the weak peely nails mixed with a reaction to the powder in the gloves.

If anyone can shed some light on this that would be great :)

Jo xxx

You know as much as anyone here by what she has told you. This sounds like a chemical reaction rather than anything to do with meds. Something in the gloves? who knows. It's obviously not normal and it's obviously nothing you have done.

You know as much as anyone here by what she has told you. This sounds like a chemical reaction rather than anything to do with meds. Something in the gloves? who knows. It's obviously not normal and it's obviously nothing you have done.

Thank you :)

I thought it was a reaction to something such as the powder in the gloves from them been worn over a long period of time and getting hot and sweaty.

Thanks again.

Something very similar happened to me when I was doing waxing all day wearing gloves. My shellac totally changed its consistency and peeled. I put it down to very very sweaty hands and the heat generated inside the gloves x

Something very similar happened to me when I was doing waxing all day wearing gloves. My shellac totally changed its consistency and peeled. I put it down to very very sweaty hands and the heat generated inside the gloves x

Agreed!

I told her to wear gloves whilst decorating but didn't think for 1 minute (maybe a being a bit naive being a newbe?) that she would have a chemical reaction to them. I didn't know she used marigolds until yesterday.

Because I didn't tell her not to use marigolds (as I didn't kno) would you fix for fre or charge her? I feel I should do it for free as I didn't specify any type of glove.

Also, what type of gloves would you recommend would be ok? She used marigolds for washing up in and has been fine doing so!

Weird!

Jo xxx

I told her to wear gloves whilst decorating but didn't think for 1 minute (maybe a being a bit naive being a newbe?) that she would have a chemical reaction to them. I didn't know she used marigolds until yesterday.

Because I didn't tell her not to use marigolds (as I didn't kno) would you fix for fre or charge her? I feel I should do it for free as I didn't specify any type of glove.

Also, what type of gloves would you recommend would be ok? She used marigolds for washing up in and has been fine doing so!

Weird!

Jo xxx

Look, you don't know it is the gloves, you don't really know what she has done.

What you do know is that YOU didn't do it. Why should you re-do for free? All you will do is set yourself up for her to ask for free re-dos every time she damages her nails.

I wear marigolds when doing dirty jobs ... Anyone with pretty nails would do that. My Shellac has never been affected by wearing gloves.

I do not trust anything clients tell me. They always say they "didn't do anything" and it's as clear as the nose on your face that they did. What I'm always sure of is that whatever they did, their nails were perfect when they left my table!

I would say, "I'm sorry that the service did not last well for you. Perhaps with the way you use your hands you are not a suitable candidate to wear Shellac." Using a phases like this leaves no doubt as to who is at fault but saying it nicely.

I don't think its the type of glove that's the problem. We all advise our clients to wear gloves. For me it was the fact I was wearing gloves more or less all day, sweating with very hot hands. Perhaps my shellac wouldve returned to its normal state- who knows!

Wearing marigolds for dish washing, household chores etc is an important part of aftercare.

You are not responsible for any chemical reaction which may have taken place whilst decorating. My advice to you would be not to re do it for free. You can't begin to take responsibility for things that are completely out of your control. Its a slippery slope from there I reckon!

I don't think its the type of glove that's the problem. We all advise our clients to wear gloves. For me it was the fact I was wearing gloves more or less all day, sweating with very hot hands.

Yeh, she was in them for the majority of the day for the whole weekend getting all hot and sweaty also.

I do agree, I think it's just my good nature and I feel bad for her that it's happened, and it's the first 'issue' i have had.

But like you and gigi say, it's out of my control when they leave me and I know they were perfect when she left, otherwise i wouldnt have let her go...so a charge it is and to use this as a learning curve :)

Jo xxx

Latest posts

Back