Problem with red hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristymarie

Reaction score
So i had my dark brown hair lightened (first ends, then the virgin hair at the roots) with 3% bleach in order to go a medium auburn red.

The ends didnt lift much at all, the roots went yellow, so therefore i have red roots (the perfect shade) and reddish but very dark ends. Some of the ends are lighter than others.

Was the bleach too weak to lift the ends? I know there was a bit of build up but i've been black before and gone red.

I love the red on the roots, but the ends are a bit to dark for me.

I am going back to the salon tonight but i want to be clued up on what i can ask for them to do. I know it is possible to get the shade i want, and yes it will be a little damaged but my hair is in good condition and i have access to good hair products.

I was wondering if they would do a bleach bath? Would this lift the dark red to a lighter shade? What level of peroxide would i need and how long would i leave it on for if i were to do it myself? And how much bleach/shampoo/water? On wet hair? Sorry so many questions!

Can anyone suggest anything, i've looked all over the place!

Feel free to ask questions :D

Sorry i have realised this is in the wrong place... could someone tell me how to move it to the correct place. My brain is working slow this morning!!

Last edited:
We cant tell you how to do it yourself or salon geek could be liable .
But yes , it will damage your hair

Hi Kristymarie,
What you are talkin about is colour correction.Something u shouldnt attempt yourself. depending on the buildup in your hair it could take months to get the result you want.

Who ever did this to you should have discussed with you what would be possible, colouring the roots should be last last part of this process.
With ends and mid lenght's that have been coloured before a realistic expectation would be 4 levels of lift maybe giving you a red orange, one can at this point decide what shade of red copper red you desire matching the roots to the mid lengths and ends.
Bright roots or hot roots caused by to high volume of peroxide? when to orange its lacking blue or violet if to yellow!
Find a new colour Technician who you can trust and is honest getting an even red shade should be possible with patients over time you can slowly lighten the red or copper. Patients is always key its a journey not a race colouring hair is a science.
Do not just do a bleach bath ! good luck Mike
you can e-mail me if you have other questions at
http://mike-b2mr.blogspot.com [email protected]

Last edited:
kristymarie [B said:
I know there was a bit of build up but i've been black before and gone red

Hi Kristymarie perhaps there was a lot more black build up on the ends this time , so it may take a few more goes to shift it all,
and dong it in stages can decrease the damage,

also black ends can lift unevenly depending on how the black home colour was applied and how many times different brands have been used.

Now and again I have come across the wash in type of black dyes that no amount of bleach bath or colour remover can get rid of all that black stain
but regular trims and slicy feathery cutting can help too blend it all in

I love the red on the roots, but the ends are a bit to dark for me.

If they can lift the mid lengths and ends up to up to a decent base level for you, they then usually put a target shade a couple of shades lighter with a lot more red in it on these parts last as they tend to suck up the base in the colour and can easily appear dark again , so a lighter redder target base will be needed

it should get better each time you have it done
but do ask them to clarify and explain what and why they are doing at each visit before they do anything more ,

good luck
Kristymarie and let us know how you get on

:) x minky

Latest posts

Back