Problems blending hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellebeautys

Reaction score
hi girls i am a newly quilifed hair extension consultant and basically i am having problems with the blending... it just dont want to blend .... what am i doing wrong? my lady i trained with is on holiday for 5 weeks and dont knwo who else to ask ... i have even resorted to my training head for practise again! help! i have clienst booked in and waiting!! x

what are you havin problems with? the cutting after? or the placement of extensions?? if it's the cutting, have you tried cutting with a razor??
just razoring down the extensions will help to blend and make it look more realistic (as lets face it non of us have the silky texture of hair extensions) or 'running' your scissors down them hardly opening your scissors to just texturise without taking much out, could you explian what your stuck with??
xx

Maybe you arnt putting extensions far enough up the head?
I take them quite far up if people are leaving them long, sometimes i dont even need to cut them x

Hi thanks basically all the application is fine but i seem to get a ridge if you knwo what i mean i blend and blend and in the end i get there but almost seems like no extensions are left :( how am i making the mistake? i was thinking of buying some thinning shears to help me blend ..would this help? x

are you preparing the hair before - ie removing any blunt lines?

The main rules to an even blend are:

Only double the visual length of the nat. hair
Make sure you point cut all the nat. hair prior to application for a softer edge.
When finishing your last solid row, add one-two rows of closely scattered ext and then finish with a scattered row of micro ext. So if 'X' represents an ext. , 'o' is a micro ext and '-' is a space. it would look like this (if this was the back of someones head!):

o---o---o---o---o---o---o micro scattered row

X--X--X--X--X--X--X--X--X closely scattered row

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX solid row

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Try to use varing shades to to blend with the nat. hair
When trying to blend in with cutting, just 'walk' your scissors into the ext to create a layered look. Also, try to remember that ext. always look better after the first wash. I call my clients in a week later just to 'tweak' the cut and check them over.
Hope this is helpful.

hi girls i am a newly quilifed hair extension consultant and basically i am having problems with the blending... it just dont want to blend .... what am i doing wrong? my lady i trained with is on holiday for 5 weeks and dont knwo who else to ask ... i have even resorted to my training head for practise again! help! i have clienst booked in and waiting!! x

I think in all hair extension training this element of the training is not covered enough as there is just not enough time. There are quite a few training courses offering hair extension cutting courses.

How long was spent on this part during your training course?

hi thanks everyone. basically we spent about 90 mins covering this but to me this did not seem enough. i shall try all the tips out. i have a client on wednesay thats having extensions for her wedding so need to get this right! would thinning scissors be of any use to me ?

Take your thinners, razor and scissors. The prep and application is more important than the finish if you want a sucessful blend with hair extensions. :)

Hi Bella, sounds like you need more cutting and blending experience ask the course you went on for more advice or at least point you in the right direction :hug: x minky

Latest posts

Back