Problems removing Gelish with d-Solve-what did I do wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachelt73

Reaction score
Sorry for the long post but please bear with me as I'm feeling a bit demoralised.

Having read on here from many posts that D.Solve seems to be a popular alternative to the Nail Harmony soak off remover but much cheaper I received mine this morning and was eagerly looking forward to using it for the first time tonight with one of my clients.

To see for myself the difference on the debate as to whether to buff to break the top it off , I lightly buffed one hand and not the other. Wrapped the fingers as usual and gave it a good 12-15 minutes with a warmed lavender wheat bag on top (all my clients love this as they feel it's a real treat).

Removed the first wrap as usual expecting it to almost fall off as it usually does only to find it still stuck to the nail like cement with the most awful white acetone marks. A gentle push with the orange stick did nothing :(

Ended up having to re-soak with the NH soak off and whilst it was marginally better it was still so stubborn. Managed to get it all off eventually with some gentle pushing with the orange stick, wiping with soak off and some very light buffing on the tiny stubborn bits but I was mortified. Thankfully she is a paying friend who actually found it funny :)

She has had regular 3 weekly Gelish manicures with me since I qualified and I've never experienced this problem with her before or with any other clients.

It was a 4 week old Gelish matt french manicure in Bella's Vampire (she couldn't get to me last week). I've posted a pic of the nails before removal if it's of any help?

Thankfully she's also a friend and she actually found it quite funny. She eventually left with filed, gelish free and hopefully undamaged nails but the thought that it could have been a client I didn't know that well is still making me shudder :(

Eternally grateful for any advice or tips as to what I may have done wrong here. Thank you x

Attachments

• IMG_2542.jpg
    IMG_2542.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 6,487
  • IMG_2541.jpg
    IMG_2541.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 23,663
Last edited:
Not wanting to insult you, but are you sure you've got D-Solve and not D-Sperse?

With D Solve that would have shifted within 10 mins, no wheat bag necessary. Is it defo D Sperse? Or if not defo Gelish? X

Rachel, do you have any photos you can post of the nails as you were trying to get the Gellish off?

Thanks

Juicy Lucy - Not insulted at all, it was the first thing I thought of - definitely D.Solve purchased from Ellisons.

Cloughers - the Bella's Vampire was from NH Direct as part of my training kit and used it lots of times with no problems.

DNX - see my post below :)

I'm at a loss :sad:

Last edited:
Rachel, do you have any photos you can post of the nails as you were trying to get the Gellish off?

Thanks

Sorry I haven't I'm afraid. Ironically my lovely understanding friend wanted to take a picture because she thought it was hilarious and I was just so mortified I didn't think about how helpful it would be on here :(

These are all 100% genuine products and now I feel afraid to enter my nail room for the demon that lies within ;)

Last edited:
I am at a loss too :D

I use D-Solve with Gelish, Gelicure and OPI GelColor. No problems at all. I never buff the topcoat and it never takes more than 10 minutes.

What type of wraps do you use?

Just to be sure..... what colour is your D-Solve and have you tried removing normal polish off a colorpop or something with it?

these are all 100% genuine products and now i feel afraid to enter my nail room for the demon that lies within ;)

Lol

You said that it was a matt finish Gelish and I assume you applied more than one topcoat to do that. You also said that it wouldn't budge after the Harmony remover. Maybe it just needed longer because of the double topcoat?

Mind you, even with a double topcoat it should still remove quickly especially with the heat you applied. I am still at a loss.

Last edited:
I am at a loss too :D

I use D-Solve with Gelish, Gelicure and OPI GelColor. No problems at all. I never buff the topcoat and it never takes more than 10 minutes.

What type of wraps do you use?

I use cotton wool pads quartered and hairdressers foil to wrap. Never experienced this problem before. I was so excited to see for myself why D.Solve is so popular (especially considering the price). Almost out of NH Soak Off too so I guess a trip to Sallys is in order for tomorrow after all :(

Oh, and a 'practice' soak off of the Gelish I only painstakingly applied to myself yesterday :D

I've had a situation like this and luckily it was also with a friend but the first time I removed her gelish it took at least 30 minutes to finally remove it and I was gobsmacked as my other clients nails take MAYBE 15 minutes for the polish to be fully removed...She has Raynaud's disease and so her toes and fingers are ALWAYS unbelievably cold. I am positive that the removal difficulties were because of the disease since she is the only one this has ever happened to.

I've done her nails 3 times now and we've decided it's probably not best because every time it's the same thing and the removal takes way too long. I think the last time it took about 40 minutes.

Not saying this is what happened but I definitely have been there and it really worried me the first time. I hated having her soaking for so long but also really didn't want to do any filing.

Lol

You said that it was a matt finish Gelish and I assume you applied more than one topcoat to do that. You also said that it wouldn't budge after the Harmony remover. Maybe it just needed longer because of the double topcoat?

Mind you, even with a double topcoat it should still remove quickly especially with the heat you applied. I am still at a loss.

Hmmm, I'm wondering if it's a combination of things :

Matt french in Bella's Vampire - two top coats.
4 week old manicure (have read somewhere that they take longer to remove?).
She has a fair amount of furrows and ridges to her natural nails - could this have contributed??

Shannon - no signs of Raynauld's - certainly no cold fingers or circulatory problems. She's always chosen Caution before and all her previous removals have just almost fallen off the nail.

How bizarre?

Was the "practice" on your own nails ok?

They definitely do take longer when they're older! I can't remember where I read that too but I have experienced it with my one client who goes 4-6 weeks sometimes. And I agree with Juicy, the top coat is less penetrable so if there are multiple layers that will contribute also!

Was the "practice" on your own nails ok?

Not done it yet, will have to update you in the morning! What a day - usually leave my other job at 7pm, so booked her in for a quick removal at 8pm. Emergency at the job meant didn't leave until 7.45pm and a 20 odd minute removal, file and tidy up turned into just over an hour :(

They definitely do take longer when they're older! I can't remember where I read that too but I have experienced it with my one client who goes 4-6 weeks sometimes. And I agree with Juicy, the top coat is less penetrable so if there are multiple layers that will contribute also!

I did wonder if it might have contributed. It was the first 4 week one I'd seen back for removal and, apart from one nail that had broken where she'd caught it yesterday, I finally had my first picture of a chip free finish after 4 weeks!

Little did I realise it would feel like that long again getting the blooming stuff off :D

Thanks for all your support guys, you've turned my "what the hell did I do wrong, I must be so rubbish at this" into a "let's think positively, the manicure lasted OK so you must be doing something right!

SG rules :D

Oh, just one more question please. Is it normal to get the 'acetone' whiteness around the skin with removal using the D.Solve. Never get it with NH soak off.

You are not the only one to have these removal problems, but I'm always wary about posting as I seem to be the only one with difficulty. :o

I can do a 2 week old Gelish or a 4 week old Gelish and still have the same problem. I've tried D.Solve and NH Soak Off and it still never flakes off the nail as others seem to. I've tried buffing and not buffing and the only thing I haven't tried yet is a wheat bag.

I use a cotton wool pad quartered, soaked and wrapped in foil.

It's getting to the point I don't want to do a removal and would rather a client pick their Gelish off before coming to me so I don't have to deal with it - and I know that's just wrong.

Is your Foundation super thin? I scrape everything on the wand and brush off, then swipe Foundation on 4 nails, then go back and scrub what's on the nail all over the nail, then 10 sec cure in LED

Well I thought it was thin, but perhaps not thin enough. I will keep trying. Thank you.

You are not the only one to have these removal problems, but I'm always wary about posting as I seem to be the only one with difficulty. :o

I can do a 2 week old Gelish or a 4 week old Gelish and still have the same problem. I've tried D.Solve and NH Soak Off and it still never flakes off the nail as others seem to. I've tried buffing and not buffing and the only thing I haven't tried yet is a wheat bag.

I use a cotton wool pad quartered, soaked and wrapped in foil.

It's getting to the point I don't want to do a removal and would rather a client pick their Gelish off before coming to me so I don't have to deal with it - and I know that's just wrong.

Aww :hug:

A wheat bag really made a difference to me. I pop it in between the folds of a towel and let it work. The clients love the warmth and mine as aromatherapy oils already on it so it smells lovely.

Give it a go and let us know if it helps

Latest posts

Back