Problems with gelish and free edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mya

Reaction score
Hi everyone!I have problems with gelish.I've tried everything and I've read a lot of posts about it and I'm following every step properly( or at least I think so,hehe).But every time I try something different I would say the result is even worst.The problem is the free edge. I seal it but when the gelish is cured after 2 min. I see like a little part in the free edge without product.Am I using too much gelish to seal the free edge?And sometimes I see like a little pots or bubbles, I don't know how describe it.Could someone help me,please?This is driving me crazy!Thank you in advance.(I know there's a lot of posts about this but I've tried everything and the free edge without colour is there)

maybe your applying the gel to thick and its shrinking during curing?

Hi everyone!I have problems with gelish.I've tried everything and I've read a lot of posts about it and I'm following every step properly( or at least I think so,hehe).But every time I try something different I would say the result is even worst.The problem is the free edge. I seal it but when the gelish is cured after 2 min. I see like a little part in the free edge without product.Am I using too much gelish to seal the free edge?And sometimes I see like a little pots or bubbles, I don't know how describe it.Could someone help me,please?This is driving me crazy!Thank you in advance.(I know there's a lot of posts about this but I've tried everything and the free edge without colour is there)

Im having the same problem and trying to work this out myself. My gelish on the free edges are shrinking before i put it in the lamp, by the time i have finished the 5th nail, the rest have started shrinking back. I get little pot holes apear in my uncured gelish too and im persuming that it is because i have left little bits of shine on the nail plate so it seperates like wet gloss paint on a unprimed glossy surface.
I've started concentrating on removing the shine well on the free edge and the dry brushing the free edge, i also dry brush the seal by feathering my brush in an upward motion over the seal of the free edge and it seems to help. I have learned that gelish REALLY doesn't like ANY shine and won't adhear well, even colour on the base coat if its not been dry brushed well! So i now dry brush one hand at a time, before i was doing all 10 nails.
Im new to gelish and i have sat a gelish course.

Saw this issue on another board. Here is the fix they swore by: dry wipe the BASE coat after the cure. ALSO, the base needs to be so thin, you practically scrub it onto the nail plate. It should have a "grainy" finish, NOT shiny finish before the cure. The reason is that a too thick base coat gives off too much dispersion layer and causes the color on top to slide/shrink. Does this make sense?? ;)

Dry brush base. Then when applying colour I flash freeze each nail. I for example do the little finger then place in the lamp whilst I do the little finger on opposite hand then swop and carry on with index finger on the first hand, when all ten fingers have been done that way I properly cure. Hope that makes sense

I agree wit fairydust I do the exact same procedure and my gelish is perfect each time. Xo

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Saw this issue on another board. Here is the fix they swore by: dry wipe the BASE coat after the cure. ALSO, the base needs to be so thin, you practically scrub it onto the nail plate. It should have a "grainy" finish, NOT shiny finish before the cure. The reason is that a too thick base coat gives off too much dispersion layer and causes the color on top to slide/shrink. Does this make sense?? ;)
Yes this does make sense. I knew we had to do the base really thin and scrub it in but the 'grainy' finish i never paid attention too. I think my base still has a shiney surface before curing so will pay more attention to this thanks. I did notice a colour i did today was sliding over the base even thou i paid attention to dry brushing. Thanks for the tip xxx

Hi :)
You really don't need to freeze cure Gelish to get a perfect finish,
Please feel free to PM me, and take me through the steps you are using with your Gelish, exactly as you are doing it,
And I will do my very best to help you out.

For the foundation layer, I personally would describe it as needing to be rather matte looking than grainy, I hope that makes sense.

Emms x

Agreed. As long as my base/foundation layer has a matte finish, my Gelish color layers go on perfectly fine. When I didn't lightly dry brush my base/foundation layer, I had shrinkage.

Hi everyone!thank you very much for your help.I dry brush the foundation and I apply a thin layer and it helps.

Hi everyone!thank you very much for your help.I dry brush the foundation and I apply a thin layer and it helps.

Remember when you dry brush/pat foundation layer, to turn your brush vertically & pat the edge of the free edge.

I don't so much pat along the free edge as to just lightly sweep over as I am brushing my colour on.
By patting it on you can create a little too much product that may create a little ledge and lead to chipping.
Plus you couldn't really do that with shorter nails too,
I do know what you mean though x

Some techs I know cap their edge first by lightly sweeping over the free edge then applying as normal.
It really does need to be a thin amount of product when we cap.

I don't so much pat along the free edge as to just lightly sweep over as I am brushing my colour on.
By patting it on you can create a little too much product that may create a little ledge and lead to chipping.
Plus you couldn't really do that with shorter nails too,
I do know what you mean though x

Some techs I know cap their edge first by lightly sweeping over the free edge then applying as normal.
It really does need to be a thin amount of product when we cap.

Sorry I didn't explain myself properly....I meant to pat the "edge" of the free edge with the dry brush to make the colour adhere better & not pull back. If only the top surface is dry brushed, the "edge" of the free edge is still shiny & not sticky which may cause the colour to not adhere to the edge.

Latest posts

Back