Problems with PopIts and Nail Graphix using CND powders application!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie23

Reaction score
Hi fellow Geeks

Its been a while since I have been in the main forums, this has been intentional as I was going through some personal things and because my emotions were a little raw I was finding that my replies were sarcastic, out of patience and at times angry. So I decided to take time away because that is not who I am at all. Things are much more settled now, so here I am back and with a problem I hope you can help me resolve.

So, last week I decided to do myself some Popits using a nice Nail Graphix glitter which I mixed using CND powder. I decided to do Popits because I hadn't picked up my sable brush for many months due to family commitments etc. I have had major service breakdown with this application and I am a little perplexed as to why this is. Its been a good experiment because hopefully when I get to bottom of it and resolve the application issues I think that the finish is excellent when using the combination of Nail Graphix and Popits and when I finally start working I think I will be tempted to use Popits for this type of aplication. FYI because I am prone to lifting I applied a Scrubfresh/Nail Fresh sandwich. Also I have never had any issues like this in any of my applications. I have also had Popit training.

So the problems I have had are as follows:

1. I noticed straight away that some of the applications hadn't adhered to the nail plate properly - basically the Poppit must have lifted away from the nail plate but I didnt realise at the time. These had to be replaced and I had to hold down the Poppit for at least 2 minutes to prevent the same happening.
  2. Two nails had to be replaced as they "pinged off" Now one was my fault I accidently banged my thumb nail very hard and this caused trauma to the nail plate, not severe luckily
  3. One nail, left thumb has a small chip down the left side wall, will only take a quick file to sort out.
So any ideas, I have thought that perhaps I was working a bit too wet. I used my normal mix ratio of dip brush and two swipes against dappen dish, I was using my Ultra Sculptor. Some of the beads were small and had to apply more beads so I adjusted mix ratio to make larger beads. There was very little seepage so I didn't apply too much product. Obviously, if I havn't picked up my sable brush for a long time this can account for some of the problems.

So any ideas? Thanks in advance :hug: :hug:

anne xx

Last edited:
A few things that come to mind:

Were your hands very cold?

Applying multiple beads means that they are all at different stages of curing and this can account for lifting if the product is not as moist in some areas as others .. best to always use one large bead instead of many small ones.

Did you make sure that as well as holding the PopIt in place, you 'rolled' your thumb around the nail to make sure the edges had a good contact with the surface?

I'll ponder to see if any other ideas come to me. :hug:

A few things that come to mind:

Were your hands very cold? No, they were normal temperature

Applying multiple beads means that they are all at different stages of curing and this can account for lifting if the product is not as moist in some areas as others .. best to always use one large bead instead of many small ones. Maximum beads used was 2

Did you make sure that as well as holding the PopIt in place, you 'rolled' your thumb around the nail to make sure the edges had a good contact with the surface? Yes

I'll ponder to see if any other ideas come to me. :hug:

Thanks Geeg, I think probably the main reason is its been so long since I done any enhancements (July) and first time I ever used Nail Graphix glitters. Maybe the mix ratio is dryer than normal? I'll check on Fiona's website when I get chance later today.

They do have a very high glitter content, some of the nails are just fine and I am very happy with them, just some that I have had problems with. They have been on a week and those that are fine there is no lifting, very little regrowth. I have also noticed that the ones that I have reapplied are much better. So its likely to be lack of practise. Thats going to change, my life is back on track and I will be making time to practise several times a week, preferably every day. Need to get my Masters up and running again!

anne xx

Hi Anne,

well done on getting back in the saddle so to speak.

When working with glitters you do need to work slightly wetter than if you were working with powder alone. I have never tried NG with Popits.

Which glitter colour are you using? - some are much chunkier than others and may take more practice to ensure that the finish is not scratchy if that makes sense.

Hi Anne, I had a problem on Tuesday, but my right hand was very cold, mind you it forced me into doing my wrong hand with a brush so I at least learnt something new !

Hi Anne,

well done on getting back in the saddle so to speak.

When working with glitters you do need to work slightly wetter than if you were working with powder alone. I have never tried NG with Popits.

Which glitter colour are you using? - some are much chunkier than others and may take more practice to ensure that the finish is not scratchy if that makes sense.

Hi Fiona

Thanks for replying I was hoping you would, yeah I must admit it felt great to do my nails. I know this may seem bizarre but when I am really down, as in like I was when I was grieving, I loose all interest in the things I'm passionate about. You would think it would be opposite wouldnt you, I'm officially wierd :eek: LOL. The only thing keeping me going was my Millinery and I even missed 50% of my attendance before Christmas, luckily with it being a leisure course it didn't matter plus the tutor was/is very supportive.

So my theory of working drier is incorrect, you need to work wetter. Maybe thats why then it took ages about 2 mins per Poppit for the L+P to cure enough for me to be able to take pressure off.

The Nail Graphix I used was Cotton Candy, the finished effect is very good, no bumps and very smooth and shiny on all nails.

anne xx

I thought I would do an update on this application. This is obviously personal to me and not a reflection on using Nail Graphix with PopIts, other Geeks may have had more success.

Basically I would not use PopIts again to apply Nail Graphix, in my case there was far too much service breakdown. Only now after several repairs after learning how to best apply them has this application stopped being problematic.

I found that I needed to hold and roll each PopIts for a minimum of 2 minutes otherwise the PopIt would lift away from the nail bed. I used Cotton Candy which is a fine glitter from Nail Graphix, other glitters will no doubt produce different results. I think the finish is fabulous as they are left super shiny, so if you are prepared for holding PopIts for much longer then fine, I would however still be very sceptical of possible service breakdown. One thumb nail the tip broke clean away, due to time restrictions I reduced the bulk, applied a scupting form and sculpted the free edge. This nail is much stronger than the others in my opinion. Plus it looks far prettier as you can see the glitter on the underside of the free edge. I personally feel that in future I would sculpt when using Nail Graphix as I really like this effect.

In conclusion (Emmsybabes does this as well, we chatted briefly about this, I am sure she won't mind me mentioning her) if I were to use Nail Graphix with PopIts I would apply a thin layer of glitter L+P to nail bed and then using clear L+P beads I would cap the glitter using PopIts. This way you still get the super shiny finish and I think it will not cause as many problems with service breakdown. I will at some point soon try this and do a further update.

anne xx

In conclusion (Emmsybabes does this as well, we chatted briefly about this, I am sure she won't mind me mentioning her) if I were to use Nail Graphix with PopIts I would apply a thin layer of glitter L+P to nail bed and then using clear L+P beads I would cap the glitter using PopIts. This way you still get the super shiny finish and I think it will not cause as many problems with service breakdown. I will at some point soon try this and do a further update.

anne xx

I've done it both ways using Ezflow and it worked well. Using the glitter then clear you are as well using less of the more expensive mix. xx

Latest posts

Back