Products/ ideas for brittle hair affected by medication?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katkatkat

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice - my hair is about shoulder length and hasn't been dyed for about 7 years, the colour has completely grown out now. I don't straighten or curl my hair and use heat spray when I blow dry it. If I leave it to dry naturally it turns into frizz and is completely unmanageable. My hair is so brittle that I can't grow it beyond my shoulders as I regularly have to have the split ends cut off. I've tried so many products like Moroccan oil and deep conditioning masks and have come to the conclusion, after talking to my hairdresser, that it must be a side effect of some medication I can take. There is no question of me changing medication and I will be on it for life so I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for trying to make it look a bit... Smoother? Even if I try straightening it it looks dull and goes dry and frizzy again with hours!

Thanks, sorry if I rambled a bit!

I'm not a hair professional but I too experience really dry frizzy hair because of medication. My hairdresser suggested a keratin treatment I think it was called lisse design. It took her about 3-4 hours and the results where amazing. Really soft and smooth hair that I don't need to straighten at all. It's lasted so far about 3months and although I'm just starting to notice a little of the frizz coming back I think I'll still manage another month before having it done again. It's definitely worth trying if you have frizzy hair. Ask your hairdresser if she does it ;) it's my life safer :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am a consumer. Had post op radiotherapy for 15 weeks. End result my hair was extremely brittle and did not like me using a curling iron on it daily - masses of split ends. My hairdresser recommended I use Pro Naturals. She told me to read every page of the website, which I did, and I am very glad for her recommendation. Now my hair is super soft, smooth and NO SPLIT ENDS! I use Pro Naturals 4-steps one week in every six weeks - you should give it a try, you'll love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes a demi/semi color like a tone on tone(Redken shades eq/PM shines etc.) or even a clear coat acts similar to clear-tinted topcoat nailpolish, gradually fades out & upkeep is not mandatory as it eventually fades away like nailpolish, is a good way to coat naturally frizzy hair. Plus they are non-low ammonia leaving no trace as it does not penetrate the cuticle of the hair can help add shine & smooth hair shaft down. Ask your stylist about this method. I have had great success with clear coating unruly hair for my clients whom do not want the whole committed expensive color routein.

Worth a shot anyways!

I realise this is a bit late but I just wanted to share my advice. I actually have had this happen in the past, and as a hair care professional, I hope my personal experience can help! I actually had naturally about a level 8 blonde that I lifted to a 9 plus highlights, lowlights and toner on previously red hair that was hip length before this medication. Needless to say, it was in pretty good condition for this process until this med. then it became unmanagble and unruly! It would break off and was desperately lacking moisture. Here's what I have tried to eliminate the problem over time:

Keratin and moisutre treatments
Oil treatments
Gloss treatments
Deep conditioning treatments
Finally at diy treatments when I got desperate

This is what I found works the best. A gloss treatment post colour then a Keratin treatment (get the strongest one your salon offers for damaged hair). Later a nanomax treatment. Only wash your hair once a week, btw to prevent stripping the oils. When I wash I always do a leave in hot oil(Coconut, olive, avocado, argan) or a raw honey mask for at least an hour before. I use Kérastase Masque Force Architect as a leve in conditioner combined with L'oreal professional intense repair mask. What I mean by this is wash your hair and you can use a regular conditioner. I use a Chamomille or ACV rinse that balances the PH level and adds shine. When your hair is damp take a gigantic scoop of the loreal and mix it with about 2 walnut sized of the Kerastase. After applying that take a few pumps of ion or Paul Mitchell's smoothing serum, and the uniq 10 in 1 spray. Only then will I ever de tangle the hair when wet. If you want angle like hair a good option is a colour rinse or the old fashion setting lotion! It makes the hair really soft without damage. When the hair dries I make sure to add some argan oil or smoothing lotion by Moroccan oil or Schwarkopf before brushing with a boar bristle brush. Bumble&Bumble Straight shampoo is the best. Do a gloss treatment ever 3 weeks for added shine! Also if product builds up wash with some plain baking soda before the ACV rinse. Don't use a clarifying shampoo as that just seems to make the hair frizz/make the conditioning/keratin treatment not as effective.

Some notes about products not to use or diy treatments to avoid. Don't use alcohol based products(or alcohol rinse such as beer), anything with lemon, sulfates. Also-- I personally find that avocado mask add a green tint to the hair I didn't like (same with egg yolks adding a yellow tint). Do not ever use an egg white treatment, as that will simply dry out your hair!

Latest posts

Back