Professionals?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MTHair78

Reaction score
I thought this site was for Educated Hair Professionals? All I see these days are ridiculous posts from "extenionists." FYI, taking a two week course in clamping little metal rings of cheap hair to people's heads, does NOT make you a professional. Where have the REAL hairdressers gone?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the point of this thread?

I don't personally have any interest in extensions - so I just don't read the threads about them.

To be honest I think your post is insulting towards the hairdressers that are passionate about extensions.

The point is... Taking a couple weeks classes in a extensions does not make you a professional, or a hairdresser. If all of these "extenionists" had taken proper education and training in hairdressing first, they wouldn't be filling this message board with mundane questions that a true professional in the hair and beauty industry would already know the answer too. If they claim to be passionate about extensions, then they should be seeking a well rounded education so they actually deserve to call themselves professionals. Extensions fall out... A trained hairdresser knows why... Proper after care is crucial... Trained professionals know why... Myself, an intensely educated hairdresser with credentials, takes great offense to all who pretend to be professionals because they think it is easy money.

I thought this site was for Educated Hair Professionals? All I see these days are ridiculous posts from "extenionists." FYI, taking a two week course in clamping little metal rings of cheap hair to people's heads, does NOT make you a professional. Where have the REAL hairdressers gone?

I think you are right.. I use to read this forum everyday multiple times a day.. But nowdays its all posts about extensions and is quite boring.. Seems most of the geeks that use to participate in the forums just stopped :(

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek

Totally agree!!

Makes me smile when they profess to being 'passionate' about hair extensions, yet only train for one day, work for pennies, and try and source cheap crap hair. I've given up trying to educate people what Remy means, and when I try to help, posting in between clients, I get told not to tell people what to do, even though they're clueless.
How about a little visual of where the cheap hair comes from? Still think there's no ethical argument against?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 432
So I've been a hairstylist for 15 years and I've recently trained to do hair extensions, does this mean I'm not "a professional" because I'm trying to expand my business ...this is one reason why I don't post on here because I never feel like I'm good enough

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

So I've been a hairstylist for 15 years and I've recently trained to do hair extensions, does this mean I'm not "a professional" because I'm trying to expand my business ...this is one reason why I don't post on here because I never feel like I'm good enough

I think his point is that you are a hair pro, furthering your education and services by adding extensions to your other hair services.

The non pros he's talking about are the one day course people who are very "passionate" about extensions, yet they don't care about hair enough to put time and effort into training in all aspects of it. They also only seem to care about cheap extensions, not researching and trialling different company's but expecting everyone to spoon feed them all the info they need.

Surely this is an industry issue rather than a Salongeek issue.

If it was not possible from an industry point of view, to gett accepted on extension courses or get insurance, without being a qualified hairdresser then this would not be a problem.

Rather than being abusive and offensive to extensionists who have done a one or two day course, not realising they have done anything wrong, maybe you could educate them in a constrictive way to maybe want to further their education.

Just a thought!

Not at all. I'm also a hairdresser who does ext. this isn't aimed at us. This is aimed at people who have never picked up a comb in their lives doing a one day course, and calling themselves hair pros.
Dunno about you, but it took me more than a day to become a true hair pro.

Kind of agree with the op!
I would not call someone who has done a 1 day extension corse a hair professional!
Find it very frustrating they should be allowed on here tbh!
I Dnt hardly come on here now because of that reason!
It's all you see!
there should at least be a separate section for them and they shouldn't be allowed to look at the hair pro stuff as there not PROFESSIONALS!

OP, you are right, but I'd say it's more of a problem that the stupid questions on here get posted by a specific kind of person-this type of person loves to use the word 'hun', put multiple x's wherever possible and doesn't understand that 'of' is a preposition, not a verb.
Personally, I think the best thing would be to ignore these threads and let the aforementioned people answer them among themselves, it's a lost cause anyway. They annoy the hell out of me as well as I find them boring, repetitive and of no educational value whatsoever, but hey, free speech and all that. :biggrin:

Every post I go on to read is always someone jumping down someone's throat saying this is a professional forum etc, but being nasty about it, I've stopped commenting on people posts now in case I feel like I'm going to give the wrong advice and get jumped on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Every post I go on to read is always someone jumping down someone's throat saying this is a professional forum etc, but being nasty about it, I've stopped commenting on people posts now in case I feel like I'm going to give the wrong advice and get jumped on!

Erm, that's because certain forums on here are for people who are qualified in that trade!
It's really helpful if everyone fills out their qualifications etc, then it stops all confusion.
Consumer geek is the forum for non pros to post on, and chit chat. Nobody minds on there if you aren't a nail pro, therapist or hairdresser.

On the trade forums, we get lots of consumers try and get info so they can go into wholesalers and buy pro products. It would be really dangerous for us to collude with this behaviour, lets face it, we don't train because we don't need to.

I'm sure a mod can post up a link to the forum rules, which everyone is supposed to abide by. Worth a read, then you can post away, knowing you won't get flamed.

Erm, that's because certain forums on here are for people who are qualified in that trade!
It's really helpful if everyone fills out their qualifications etc, then it stops all confusion.
Consumer geek is the forum for non pros to post on, and chit chat. Nobody minds on there if you aren't a nail pro, therapist or hairdresser.

On the trade forums, we get lots of consumers try and get info so they can go into wholesalers and buy pro products. It would be really dangerous for us to collude with this behaviour, lets face it, we don't train because we don't need to.

I'm sure a mod can post up a link to the forum rules, which everyone is supposed to abide by. Worth a read, then you can post away, knowing you won't get flamed.

I know yes I mean they way some people speak to others, I've been hairdressing 12 years and joined here and enjoyed it at first now all I see if people arguing etc. think I might just delete my app xx

Don't be worried about posting, just ask a few relevant questions before giving out answers.
As has been said time and time before, Just because you know an answer doesn't mean you need to give it. Find out if the person asking, really is a hairdresser/professional.

SG is a great learning resource, but we should never ever spoonfeed people who say " What' colour is this" "or I've never touched anyone's hair in my life, but I need to do this XXXXX" and have no thoughts about what might work or what might not.

Seriously, if you're a hairdresser, you MUST have access to shade charts and other resources, surely?
If you're not, then you're probably asking questions like these, and nipping to Sally's to buy colours that people are reeling off willy-nilly on here.

If people are honest about what they are and give their own opinions first - not demanding answers and getting stroppy when they're pulled up, it really would help.

Yes... My post is not geared toward those who are qualified hairdressers who happen to do extensions. It is geared towards those who took a weekend course in applying them and have the nerve to call themselves professionals. You must know the basic foundations in hair before you can take on specialized departments.

Im sick of girls advertising hair extensions after doing a 1 day course. Seen a girl on facebook yday offering £20 fitting with own hair or £50 with the hAir provided but she does say its just 'ok quality' but she cAn use good quality hAir for £75. ...... I think not!!!!

Lucia xx

Here are just a few of the reasons for such posts (as my own.) Those of us who are qualified professionals have spent countless hours, years and vast amounts of money learning and perfecting what we do. There is nothing more insulting to us and our professions than general public, or fakes claiming professional status, on here fishing for our hard earned professional knowledge. It goes to show major disrespect for the profession to think you can perform the services we do, without he proper knowledge. Math, science, chemistry, geometry, anatomy, physiology and even physics are ALL a part of our everyday operation. We worked incredibly hard to hone our skills. I am just thankful that here in he US I am protected by my license issued by a profession regulating sector of government. I feel deeply for my UK Cohorts, who have to have he best in education, but to have it trampled on by non qualified fakes. If it were a true "passion" you were following, you would seek proper education and pay your dues as the rest of us did, and stock mocking our incredibly intricate profession.

As I said in my previous post, which seems to have passed you all by! This is an industry issue not a Salongeek issue. If it is such a problem for you guys, lobby the accreditation bodies and try and change things so that only qualified hairdressers can apply extensions.

If you want things to change then dont sit there expecting the remote to work, get up and do something to change it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back