pro's and con's of mobile hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie.st

Reaction score
Im about to move from my own salon into the mobile world of hairdressing. im looking forward to it but am concerned about the levels of professionalism that my clients are used to being upheld when i go mobile. im most worried about the thought of washing off colours and especially perms over the clients bath tub. is this as bad as im imagining????

im about to move into mobile too and am really conerned about the "messiness" of being different surroundings all the time, i want to come across as professional imlooking for as many tips as possible on getting started, good luck x

I'm a mobile Hairdresser and have been for nearly 3 years.. Even now I still feel awful rinsing clients colours off over the bath but they don't seem to mind!! I have however invested in a 'shampoo tray' which allows a sink to be used as a backwash.. Don't know how successful it will be though!!
I think as long as you keep your obviously high standards of professionalism in every other way you will be fine! You may lose some clients who prefer to go to a salon but I've found these few and far between.. I think you will find the clients will be happy as long as they get to keep you!! Good luck :) xxx

you too!! :) i think i have most of it covered, bags for equipment, boxes for colours and a big plastic sheet so the hair is kept in one place. its a big step but im sure we will both be fine.
would love to hear from any mobile hairstylists already doing it :)

thats brilliant, thanks. please post to let me know how that works out, might be worth investing in. i did see a mobile hairwashing unit on ebay but it looked like more hassle than it was worth :)

i do miss the work station in a salon but I enjoy being mobile too, I have just bought a comfywash which fits onto the kitchen sink, i HATE rinsing colours over the bath, so awkward, unprofessional and painful for your back! Love the comfywash works a treat.

I also have a mini pan and brush to sweep up after myself.. I find this looks a lot more professional!
The plastic sheet is a good idea when colouring too... I love being mobile.. It can be a tad lonely but now I've started posting on here rather than just lurking, I'm hoping that will help :)
I find the biggest drawbacks not having everything to hand but you will find you quickly adapt to it.. A lot of clients tend to forget you still have times to keep to and other appointments too lol so I always try and say give or take 5 mins on an appointment time to allow for this or traffic.. I'm waffling on now so I will shut up haha!

i do miss the work station in a salon but I enjoy being mobile too, I have just bought a comfywash which fits onto the kitchen sink, i HATE rinsing colours over the bath, so awkward, unprofessional and painful for your back! Love the comfywash works a treat.

Sammi what shower attachment do you use? Xx

Hi Sammi
where did you get your comfywash from? cannot find one anywhere :(

Hi Sammi
where did you get your comfywash from? cannot find one anywhere :(
Do a search on this site for comfywash. There are a couple of recent posts about this.

One thing I always do is put a towel underneath everything.
It just keeps the clients table free from coming into contact with any products.
Re the comfywash, are kitchen sinks not generally too high to use this? :wink2:

Definate disadvantage - people phoning up at 10pm at night, boxing day, xmas eve and all hours god can find to get the soonest appointment they can! Have a seperate mobile phone from the start!

One thing I always do is put a towel underneath everything.
It just keeps the clients table free from coming into contact with any products.
Re the comfywash, are kitchen sinks not generally too high to use this? :wink2:

Ive been wondering this today too?
my kitchen sink is quite high maybe its just better for bathroom sinks that are a little lower although smaller lol remind me again why we do this :biggrin: always an obstacle:rolleyes:

I have been worrying about the same things! I am planning my mobile business and selling my salon, I have seen portable backwashes on eBay, don't know what ther like tho. Good luck :) xxxxxx

Hi ladies,

I've been mobile for almost 20 years now, and I could go on all night about dos and donts but will try to give a few helpful tips
DO Have a separate work mobile and never give out your private one or home number, took me 19 years to sort that one out and it's the best thing to date.
I've got the comfy wash and my clients luv it.
Lay down rules from the start ie hours you work and prices
Try to get to areas on certain days, and it's amazing when you don't give clients a choice how much they bend to suit you.
Have professional price lists, mine used to include terms and conditions
I always cover clients surfaces with towels when colouring. I used to put a sheet down but you'll find when you're back to back with appointments you can't empty it anywhere! Kids and pets walk on it and spill things on it, then it look hairy and dirty and that doesn't look good. I now will only do hair in the kitchen as it's far more practical with work surfaces, plug sockets and generally no carpet.

I've now progressed to a card machine, and a friend of mine designed my branding and I also had a website built, properly not done by myself, but they are things I have invested in lately as I rebranded and retrained in extra services to offer.

Can't think of anything else, please feel free to PM me if I can bore you with anymore details lol!

Hi, i'm mobile & i love it! I love it that much it doesnt even feel like a job, best thing i've ever done. I try to keep everything as professional as poss & almost every client i have has commented on how nice it is to be looked after so well as a few of them have had some bad 'mobile' experiences i.e totally inexperienced stylists who havnt had a clue & turned without shampoo or styling products! I wish you all the best going mobile & i'm sure you will love it!x

I am mobile and i love it.
I use my own towels so at least when washing/rinsing at clients home they can use my towels to cover their face whilst rinsing..etc
my pricelists have hours of business and i have a separate number..so i can turn the phone off..stops clients ringing when i dont want them too.
i allways dress smartly
i have a box in the car with extension leads...various shower attachements (the rubber tap ones)
hair is usually done in the kitchen..
i have disposable capes for colouring
when booking appts ask where they live and give them the days and time you can do for that area...
use all your own products never the clients unless specific to the client ie shampoo for skin conditions etc....

thanks everyone for all your advise. i now feel a lot more positive about going mobile, have gathered lots of essentials to help me on the way and have taken on board what you have all said! ive now just gotta work out how to get it all in my car!!! haha

I always keep a small first aid kit in my car , with strong quality plaster in case my knuckle has a fight with my scissors , eyewash with bath, something for burns, scissors , tweezers, bandages , micropore , painkillers and much much more. You never know when you may need them.

Can you tell i was in the guides!!!!!

Latest posts

Back