protecting nail art...what to use and how to charge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~bec~

Reaction score
My clients are asking for a layer of gel to be applied to their nail art. I prefer to apply a clear nail polish and ask the client to apply an additional layer every week.

If i apply only clear nail polish to my clients nail art, it is easy to remove it when they come back for their infill.

I am finding it alot of work to buff back the top layer of gel, the art and then reshape the gel under all of this.

Should i be charging extra for the layer of gel over the art?? I feel like a tight-arse!!!

What do you guys do and what do you think about this???

HI,

PERSONALLY I USE POWERSEAL OVER MY NAIL ART (ALTHOUGH I HAVEN'T DONE ANY NAIL ART ON CLIENTS YET - I'M NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE PAYING PUBLIC AT THE MOMENT!) IT SEALS IT IN AND NOTHING CAN TOUCH THE DESIGN, I FIND I FORGET TO APPLY CLEAR POLISH REGULARLY AND IT CHIPS QUITE EASY. JUST MY OPINION, I FIND THAT METHOD EASIER.

ALYSHA X

Hi,
If you use gel over nail art then you charge for it, Simple as that your not a tight arse your a nail tech earning a living :wink2:

I charge gel seal as an optional extra at £5 a set over nail art or polish.
It's more expensive and more time consuming than clear polish so they should pay for what they are getting.

I have used gel seal over 'flat' nail art and it was fine... put it over some 3d stickers and it was just way too thick, so I'm not 100% sure it's always suitable, or maybe I should have put the gel on first, then the stickers so they were set/stuck to the gel, then cured???

bimbogeri said:
put it over some 3d stickers and it was just way too thick, so I'm not 100% sure it's always suitable, or maybe I should have put the gel on first, then the stickers so they were set/stuck to the gel, then cured???

I charge €4 for a gel top coat over airbrushed nail art and i drop the rhinestones into the gel. It can take forever to get them out so the extra couple of quid is essential!!

I use a gel to seal clients nail art. I charge them £3 and they are happy to pay for this. As lell said you are a professional earning a living, its products you are using and your time so definately charge them!
And i agree that it is harder to infill/re-balance their nails when they have a top coat of gel, but thats the way it goes!

thanks guys, this really helps. i will be definately charging an extra price for the gel over the art.

hey everyone, I am intrested in what kind of gel seal you use over Polish. I have not found one that didnt bubble Polish :cry: it works fine on art paint and on Acrylicsk, but Polish???
Suzanne

I use Professionails Protech Gloss over may nail art. I do the airbrush and give it one coat of top coat. I then use a product called Evergloss over the nail art and then gloss gel it - cure for 2 minutes and its done. My clients love it as they do not have to mess around putting top coat on every 2 to 3 days - if they get fed up with the design they can put nail polish on their nails and when they take it off, viola they have an airbrush design again.

Latest posts

Back