Protein or moisture?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allies dream

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is a question that may have been asked a hundred thimes.
Since the wonderful arrival of Olaplex,the question in my salon after using it is,if the hair is still dry,do we apply a mask with protein in or not.. I. have been on the hunt for just a hydration mask but I am having trouble finding one, it also has to be within a reaonable price range, as I dont want to charge extra on top of the Olaplex Treatment. I wondered if anyone had any suggestions please,for the UK.

No, a moisturising/hydrating treatment will only coat the hair. The hair will be back to its normal state again after a few washes.

A protein treatment can cause further damage and they also don't last.

A few olaplex treatments and a good cut are the only thing that will get the hair back to good health.

No, a moisturising/hydrating treatment will only coat the hair. The hair will be back to its normal state again after a few washes.

A protein treatment can cause further damage and they also don't last.

A few olaplex treatments and a good cut are the only thing that will get the hair back to good health.
I realise that Cams, I am trying to get to grips,with all the messages on Olaplex users,some are saying that after there clients are using products with protein in,there clients hair is suffering severe breakage.The answers are allways the same use hydrating masks not protein, Im struggling to find it,and beginning to feel stupid to boot! I was taught just to use repair treatments at college,that they were naturally balanced already,now im not sure,

I realise that Cams, I am trying to get to grips,with all the messages on Olaplex users,some are saying that after there clients are using products with protein in,there clients hair is suffering severe breakage.The answers are allways the same use hydrating masks not protein, Im struggling to find it,and beginning to feel stupid to boot! I was taught just to use repair treatments at college,that they were naturally balanced already,now im not sure,

Nothing other than olaplex will actually repair the hair. Without olaplex haircuts are what is needed. The hair is hydrophobic, so will not actually absorb moisture, if that wasn't the case all you'd have to do is wet the hair and it'd be moisturised.

If the hair is porous it will not be so hydrophobic @cams97 :p ...moisturising products should help to retain the moisture and ultimately make it feel smoother, even superficiality.

If the hair is porous it will not be so hydrophobic @cams97 :p ...moisturising products should help to retain the moisture and ultimately make it feel smoother, even superficiality.
Thanks Adamlea I think you get what I mean the hair does feel much stronger after Olaplex,but On highlightd or platinum it needs more,there have been a lot of posts on Olaplex users,where clients have gone home not only with no 3 but protein based masks, and then have a lot of breakage. So to avoid this I want to find more moisture based masks, its so hard to find info on it all, I use Goldwell, Osmo, Morrocon oil,Argon oil treatment,they all have protein,what im trying to find out is if there is a hydrating mask without protein or in a way does it need the protein to work.

To the best of my knowledge protein masks should NOT make the hair brittle, in fact the problem is that the protein has to be so hydrolysed to be used so it isn't actually effective enough to really strengthen the hair. The best products for smoothing the hair are cationic polymers and silicones, but if the hair is very porous they can make the hair slimey as it absorbs too much of them, in this case a protein treatment is the best alternative.

But if people that need something moisturizing only use a protein based treatment they will experience tension breakage through combing etc.. because the hair is not lubricated with silicones.

If the hair feels dry then you need those smoothing/moisurising products to replace the fatty acids on the surface of the cuticle that makes virgin hair feel smooth. I would not worry if the product contains some type of hydysised protein (may be listed as keratin or silk etc) as it will most likely have little effect and the hair can only absorb so much.

To the best of my knowledge protein masks should NOT make the hair brittle, in fact the problem is that the protein has to be so hydrolysed to be used so it isn't actually effective enough to really strengthen the hair. The best products for smoothing the hair are cationic polymers and silicones, but if the hair is very porous they can make the hair slimey as it absorbs too much of them, in this case a protein treatment is the best alternative.

But if people that need something moisturizing only use a protein based treatment they will experience tension breakage through combing etc.. because the hair is not lubricated with silicones.

If the hair feels dry then you need those smoothing/moisurising products to replace the fatty acids on the surface of the cuticle that makes virgin hair feel smooth. I would not worry if the product contains some type of hydysised protein (may be listed as keratin or silk etc) as it will most likely have little effect and the hair can only absorb so much.
Thankyou Adam for that very detailed reply, its the response ive been waiting for,as information on this is so sparse :)

Glad to be of help :)

Coconut oil? Adam mentioned fatty acids above. Clients that use it rave about it.

(I've had wine so if I'm talking shite please ignore me :D )

Coconut oil? Adam mentioned fatty acids above. Clients that use it rave about it.

Coconut oil is one of the very few oils that will actually penetrait the hair due to it's molecular weight. If anyone cares there are controlled studies that I could link to to show this.

You do need to leave it in a long time though, like 6 hours if the hair is damp or overnight on dry hair for the best results IIRC:D

Coconut oil is one of the very few oils that will actually penetrait the hair due to it's molecular weight. If anyone cares there are controlled studies that I could link to to show this.

You do need to leave it in a long time though, like 6 hours if the hair is damp or overnight on dry hair for the best results IIRC:D

Yes please[emoji16][emoji16]

Think this is the right one @cams97 goto the Journal of Cosmetic Chemists website and search coconut oil, the link should be "Investigation of penetration abilities of various oils into human hair fibers".

Think this is the right one @cams97 goto the Journal of Cosmetic Chemists website and search coconut oil, the link should be "Investigation of penetration abilities of various oils into human hair fibers".

Cheers!

Yip clients I have leave it in overnight.

Must have a look at that Adam.

Watching prince of persia. Bit naff. Maybe it's the wine lol.

Yip clients I have leave it in overnight.

Must have a look at that Adam.

Watching prince of persia. Bit naff. Maybe it's the wine lol.

Gosh, I used to play that as a video game in my twenties on the Atari..... I bet you don't know what an Atari is..... :oops: :eek: :(

I didn't know prince of Persia was an atrai title! Can't wait to tell my partner.

Gosh, I used to play that as a video game in my twenties on the Atari..... I bet you don't know what an Atari is..... :oops: :eek: :(

Lol vaguely recall those! Jeez we are old! :O :D

According to Wiki, it came out in 1989. I used to play it with my next door neighbour. We used to see who could get to the next level first. I think it re-loaded each time from a cassette thingy.
Fun times indeed! :D

According to Wiki, it came out in 1989. I used to play it with my next door neighbour. We used to see who could get to the next level first. I think it re-loaded each time from a cassette thingy.
Fun times indeed! :D

Ah yes lol . Them were the days of waiting for games cassettes to load! We had a commodore 64. Remember those??

Latest posts

Back