PSA - Latest telephone scam - Child Protection

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity

Brush Slayer Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Just as a warning to others, especially newbies who often get caught out, there is a new advertising phone scam going around pretending to be from Child Protection.

I've had a 'number withheld' call presented to my phone several times in the last two weeks, I don't tend to answer withheld numbers, knowing if it's a new client they will leave a message and my existing clients are all stored so their number shows. This one only came in during the week and during business hours so I knew it was an outbound dialler of some description.

Today I answered it as I had time to deal with it and the caller started by asking to speak to me (by using my first time like she knew me) when I asked who was calling she replied 'it's Sarah from Child Protection', I said I think you have the wrong number I haven't contacted Child Protection....she then said that someone had called me back in July (wrong) and it was regarding the drug and alcohol abuse in children protection leaflets and booklets...I said I wasn't interested and she slammed the phone down. Advertising scam!!!

This is along the similar lines of the fire service/ambulance/wallplanner/booklets thing that's been around for years but they're obviously hooking into the lastest 'fad' of child protection.

I'm hoping by putting this on here it prevents someone getting conned

Thank you for this I didn't know but I do now x

I've had this one twice too

Sent from my SM-G850F using SalonGeek mobile app

How low will these people go?! :grr:

I had this as well!!!! Didn't even realise it was a scam but it kept cutting out so basically said no thanks to whatever it was they were asking from me. Thought it was very strange they said I had contacted child protection previously as well (why would I do that and not even remember?!?!)

How horrible. I hope no one gets caught out!

That company is terrible - I'm sure they go under different company names but are based in Manchester somewhere, they also do doctors appointment cards too x

Thanks for the heads up. I'm very new to this but would be potentially sucked in as child protection is very close to my heart.

Appreciate it.

Oh I can't wait for this one, bring it on.:twisted:

Here in Australia I constantly get calls from the Childhood Cancer Fund. They call but hang up as soon as you answer.

The number is displayed and when you call back you get a recorded message saying you missed a call from the Childhood Cancer Fund (ummmmm, no I didn't!!! YOU hung up on me).

It then gives you a list of options, the first being making a donation!!!!

Another is to have your number removed from the calling list. I have done this many times but they still call!

The last time I gave them a piece of my mind. Told them their practices were rude and they were ruining the reputation of a well known charity. I told them it borders on harassment and I will be reporting them to the ombudsmen and will NEVER personally donate to that charity.

Needless to say it fell on deaf ears and I still get calls even though they reassured me time and time again my number was on the do not call list!

Oh and a great way I deal with telemarketers or annoying callers is to just put them on hold and leave them there! LOL.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sharing this to family and friends. Nothing beats being aware and vigilant to protect ourselves from falling victims to these phone schemes.

By the way, I found several phone numbers reportedly used in a similar scam listed at Callercenter.com and you guys might find the info useful, like add them to your block list in advance. Let's not give these scammers a chance.

Latest posts

Back