Psoriasis help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss_hkrs

Reaction score
Hiya i normally stick to the beauty side but thought some hair geeks might be able to help.

I suffer from psoriasis on my scalp and recently as i've been stressed which has caused it to flair up tried all my usual shampoos, creams and even some products from the elemis range at work. Been to the Dr and they only give me creams which i always tell them don't work....

any advice you could offer would be amazing as its driving me up the wall.

Thanks!

Hi

I am not a hairdresser but I sometimes get an "psoriasis attack" and I know how awful it is. My solution is Lush shampoo bar- the "anti-dundruff" one which I use all the time. I can see you're from WImbledon- I work there :) and there is Lush shop near the shopping centre. I am sure you know where.

They are not expensive but full of natural goodness, no chemicals- so nothing to irritate your skin. Since I started using them- many years ago- the skin on my head has really imporved and I also stopped losing my hair.

Maybe I am the only one and it's a miracle or maybe they're just very good. It works for me very well.

Additionally I got myself a really good hairbrush- not a cheep one from the shop but a proper one from hairdressers. Hairbrushing doesn't hurt or pull my hair anymore and my skin is intact.

Good luck hun. I am sure you'll get some great advice from professionals here.

xxx

Hi Hun, i also suffer with this skin condition, i have since i was 7.

The best thing i have found that has worked, without creams, steriods tablets / sunbeds etc is herbal products.

I buy a small tube from Holland & Barratt & its a white tube with blue writting its about 5e (not sure £) - its called Silca & it has a number on it, the reference for it is for brittle nails, hair & skin. I take it when my scalp & body starts to flair up within a few days its under control again, its great.
Check Silica (No. 12) | Hair, Skin and Nails | Holland & Barrett

The tablets rest on your tongue & dissolve, you take them so many times based on details on the tube, they have worked wonders for me & i would recommend them to anyone. Might aswell give it a shot??

Try pure aloe vera. Its fantastic. Dont buy the rubbish stuff (I get mine imported from Canaries now) get the 96-98% and apply it to your scalp and leave it on. Its water based so does wash off.

#I really suffer from this aswell, drives me insane, i used tgel last weekend hoping it would help. big mistake the itching almost drove me to tears, and it was weaping and so sore,
I dont know what to add just that i share your pain, might try the lush stuff x

I use the tgel aswell but lately i am able to use any shampoo from the herbal tablets before i would have very bad scalp that anything different woul kill me with pain.

My personal thing was when its very though & sore (that it cracks) - i would use Olive Oil to soften the skin(leave it in over night) & then wash with TGEL but i also used Polytar ( smells rotten ) but it did work for me but then after a few days it would be back teh same, i suffer with it everywhere, my hair,ears,body,nail beds you name it.

There use to be another product called Oilatum & it comes as a shampoo form too but i find these dont clear it they just stop it getting worse.

I never heard of lush but i might google it & see if its available in Dublin

Hi

My solution is Lush shampoo bar- the "anti-dundruff" one which I use all the time. I can see you're from WImbledon- I work there :) and there is Lush shop near the shopping centre. I am sure you know where.
They are not expensive but full of natural goodness, no chemicals- so nothing to irritate your skin. Since I started using them- many years ago- the skin on my head has really imporved and I also stopped losing my hair.

Hi Sunshineinme - Do you know if they have a website?

I used to be a pharmacy technician. (jack of all trades me), and "Selsun" shampoo always used to be quite effective. Although this was for mild scalp problems.

However, please consult your GP again if you want to try this. Unless you have already done so already.

I also used to make up certain creams and ointments in the dispensary from tailor made prescriptions using strong coal tar solutions and certain steroid creams such as betamethasone.

Maybe your GP could write out a tailor made prescription for you and ask your pharmacist if its possible for him to make it up for you.

Usually this is done if you have tried virtually every cream/ointment ect on the market with no successful results.

Please bear in mind, I have not worked in pharmacy for about 5 years, so policies and procedures may have changed. Your GP will know all this.

:D

Hi.. my daughter suffers from this as well.. Here is my .02 cents... we have found that shampoos/conditioners and even body wash that has fragrance in them seem to trigger a break out.
We have tried many, many brands.. the only product that calms and controls this for her is PM Tea Tree Shampoo/Conditioners...It calms because of the anticeptic and antibacterial properties. And keeps her scalp soothed . I hope this advice helps. For the most part finding a fragrance free product might help as much, but we are really convienced that the tea tree is the bomb!

Latest posts

Back