Puppy training, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on the new pup.
Can I say, for your sake (and sanity) please stick with it!

We have a 4 week old pug puppy that we licked up at 9 weeks, I was full of hope (and naivety) that she would love her crate. She HATED it!
She screamed, howled, cried , chewed, scratted and through herself at the door. I went down after about 10 minutes of this, sat and waited til she fell asleep in my arms and the. Put her back.. An hour later the same thing. I took her out every hour.
The next day I met with a dog trainer who have me some advice that I hope might help you.
*When are you going to stop going out at 1/2/3/4/5am to let her out. She needs to learn to hold her bladder. Yes there will be accidents, after all she is a baby.
But make sure one side of her crate is soft blankets and a bed, preferably with sides, the other side should be newspaper and puppy pads for toilet ing.

* Make sure you take her into your garden for a wee and poo last thing at night, even if that means waking her up from snuggles on your knee.

* If possible have the crate in a corner or against a wall and cover the other sides with a thick blanket, leaving one side open. This makes the space seem smaller, cosier and less daunting and also more similar to a 'den'.

* Wear an old t-shirt and rub all over yourself to get a good scent on it and place in with her at night.

* Do NOT let her out when she is crying. This makes her think as soon as she cries let her out. If you sit by the crate with her in, wait until she stops then let her out. It's surprisingly how quickly they learn.

* No toys at night. In the day time leave plenty, but at night time a long lasting chew is enough. They need to learn bedtime is for sleeping.

* Try putting her in, in the day time for 30 minutes whilst you are busying around so she can learn that she goes in but also is let out. (Only after stopping whining.)

* Perseverance! After 4 or 5 days with very little sleep I was tearing my hair out and all of a sudden it just clicked.

My pup now loves her crate. It's safe, cosy and her den. It will get better!! Stay strong!!

Thanks very much for the advice! I'm glad your pup loves her crate now, I hope mine starts to love his! X

Last night was sooo much better! We went up to bed and he made a little noise once then all went quiet, I had to check on him as he was so quiet lol he fell asleep straight away! He did start crying in the night but that was because the little clock we put in his cage (to mimick mums heart beat) went off, so it woke him up lol but he was much more settled, so its definitely paying off! 😃 x

Puppy is much better now, he's a lot more settled 😃 thanks for all the advice everyone x

Hi geeks, I'm abit worried about my puppy atm, iv noticed he has diarrhoea and he's been sleeping a lot today. Iv been looking on the Internet and it comes up with lots of bad stuff :-( worms, parvo etc :-( I have maybe fed him abit more today and we've had visitors come round and play with him. Could these symptoms be normal or not sound good? X
I did feed him a little bit of bacon this morning, iv just read bacon isn't good for them, I didn't realise x

Last edited:
Hi geeks, I'm abit worried about my puppy atm, iv noticed he has diarrhoea and he's been sleeping a lot today. Iv been looking on the Internet and it comes up with lots of bad stuff :-( worms, parvo etc :-( I have maybe fed him abit more today and we've had visitors come round and play with him. Could these symptoms be normal or not sound good? X
I did feed him a little bit of bacon this morning, iv just read bacon isn't good for them, I didn't realise x

If you are worried give the vet a call. They normally have an out of hours number with someone there who can talk to you and work out if your pup needs to see someone urgently or if it can wait till the morning.

I got really worried when my little one had explosive diarrhoea. It was about 11pm on a Sunday night and called them straight away. but as she was still happily running around the place they said to just keep an eye on her but first thing I was worried about was the parvovirus too.

If you have had visitors round that would probably knacker the pup out and he would be more sleepy so that wouldn't be anything to worry about on its own. Any change in diet or new food has to be done slowly as their little tummies are so sensitive (don't know anything bout the bacon though). Id def call the vet so you can check his symptoms with them.

Hope he's okay xx

My puppy was like that and I gave him a worm tablet and he pooped out a loooooot of horrible worms but then he was fine after. Parently it's contagious with humans so your best to keep guests at bay until he's treated x

Do you weigh his food as if your giving him too much food at meal times it can cause runny poos it sounds gross but is it like diarrhoea or is it just runny also it could be the type of food as some dog food doesn't agree with dogs we had to go through a couple of different brands until we found the right one x

Did you do anthing different to his food or introduce any new foods? Their stomachs are really delicate at this age and any sudden changes can make them ill. When we got our pup we gradually changed her food from what the breeder was feeding to what we wanted to feed her by mixing a little bit in for a week or so then a bit more and a bit more over quite a few weeks. Are you feeding her puppy food? Anything different to what they are used to and what they should have can set them off. If you are feeding her dry food try mixing it with water so that she doesn't become dehydrated. If she becomes lethargic, her gums go pale and she doesn't eat or drink after 24 hrs I would definitely take her to the vet. Hope everything is ok!

We went to the vet yesterday for his jabs and the vet checked him over, he said he's fine and healthy :) he had his de worming tablet today and pooped a lot! Lol if I hear him bark in the night I'll let him out in case he needs to go! But he's managing to sleep through the night (unless he's quietly playing lol) x

How are you getting on with your pup? I got one just before Christmas and it was a hard struggle for 2 weeks but all good now! X

Latest posts

Back