Purchasing advise

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chic*digits

Reaction score
I need to buy a large amount of items from a wholesale distribution center. I'm a nail technician and I need to buy everything from a gallon (cheap but heavy) of acetone to small rubber bottle tilters. One distribution center is near my house and I could drive there directly without paying shipping, and the other is far away and I would have to pay shipping. The problem is that the one by my house is significantly more expensive than the one that would have to ship to me. For instance 32 oz of acetone at the one far away is $3.95 and 32 oz of acetone from the one by my home is $4.95. I've had so much on my mind so my brain is mush right now. I'm just starting my business so I need to get the best price possible in order to make a profit. Not to mention I suck at numbers. I would appreciate some advise. =)

If your starting out I would drive to the far one and buy twice as much - to be honest I dont really split hairs when it comes to basics unless the saving amounts to big bucks.

If your on a tight budget and need to get the best deal you can just make a list of everything you want/need, get quotes from each distributor, incl freight for the far away one, or the petrol that it would cost to drive etc.

Then work out how much difference there really is, if theres not much then just go with the one you liked best, if there is a significent difference, theres your answer.

All those little savings can add up if you are buying lots of items, so a little math will give you a better idea of where you are better off shopping.

Ya you're right. There isn't really an easy way to answer that question. I'm going to track down a friend who is good with math and I can go into more detail about what I'm buying and the shipping prices.
thank you :green:

**a little update***
I ended up just ordering from the one further away just because it was cheaper and I thought they had a better selection, and it turned out to have free shipping...sigh. Maybe because ordered so much stuff, but I thought it was pretty cool. :smack: <--thats me hitting myself on the noggin :D

I'm glad it all worked out :)
Never be shy to make enquiries though, shopping around and researching is really important in business.

Sounds like you made the best decision here though, so well done!

Latest posts

Back