Q: Bonds

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathie!

Reaction score
After I read the AHA thead I thought I would bring up my question....

why is a covalent bond stronger than a hydrogen bond?

Is it because a covalent bond lasts longer than a hydrogen bond before it breaks down?

is that what makes it a stronger bond, because it doesn't break down so quickly?

I have no idea about the chemistry but so say a covalent bond is stronger and I don't know why????

Ok I asked for questions but this one is above me :irked:

I have been wondering this one for a long time....I got a U in O level chemisrty so that ain't gonna help me ....I have Googled and Googled, all they say is that a covalent bond is stronger....I can't discover why!

I have been wondering this one for a long time....I got a U in O level chemisrty so that ain't gonna help me ....I have Googled and Googled, all they say is that a covalent bond is stronger....I can't discover why!

I am sure someone covered this a while back let me go check:)

A covalent bond is 10-20 times stronger than a hydrogen bond.

A hydrogen bond is very easily broken even by enironmental conditions (e.g. water, vibration) but it is also easily reformed (not always in the right way though!)

A covalent bond is much sronger and it takes a very specific condition to break it (specific to each type of bond). If you remember the structure of an atom from chemistry lessons, there are negatively charged particles around the outside of the nucleus. If there is a gap in the outer 'ring' it can bond with an appropriatly charged atom 'electrically'.

A very simple way to undrstand the difference: nearly all of us know that a molecule of water is H2O. The bond between the 2 hydrogens and oxygen are covalent bonds which means the water molecule stays together unless it is specifically 'blown apart'. The bond between molecules is a hydrogen bond and is very frail. E.g. water eveporates into water vapour very easily as the hydrogen bonds are broken but it is still water and nothing else. It ca then reform very easily (water vapour condensing on a window to form water again)

Any the wiser?? Hope so if I've explained it correctly

Mum....If I could meet you right now...I would give you the biggest hug!! :hug:
We have a definitive understandable answer!!!!!!

Does this mean you will never ask this question again Cathie!........

Thanks Mum, I now understand.....and yes Izzi the question will never be raised by me again!

Latest posts

Back