Q: VTCT Nail art and service portfolio

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamper yourself

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have to start working on my portfolio which my instructress hasn't given me much info for yet :rolleyes:

Anyways. She showed me one which personally didn't impress me much. It was mounted in a professional photo album, written by hand and had clips and nail samples etc mounted in areas.

Anyways my question is this. I'm also a graphic designer. Would the VTCT board (or whoever) appreciate the work if done on computer with hand mounted pics and nail sample etc. rather than hand written???

I was thinking of doing a digital output and mounting the book myself or is the photo album the better option?

Would appreciate any help as to format and other tips.

Many thanks

just bumping up hoping for comments from vtct students or grads or anyone basically :lol:

When I did my VTCT i did it all on computer and then bound it myself.

If I remember rightly we weren't allowed to handwrite any of our work.

I would do what you feel most comfortable with after all it is your work!

xx

When I did my VTCT i did it all on computer and then bound it myself.

If I remember rightly we weren't allowed to handwrite any of our work.

I would do what you feel most comfortable with after all it is your work!

xx

Hi Gemsie thanks for your reply. The thing is it's been so long since I did exams and portfolio work that I have no idea what type of expectations are expected from todays students. The last portfolio work I did had to be all done by hand :eek:

Many thanks. Do you mind telling me how you bound it? Is it with regular spiral binding or did you lace it up yourself?

Is it worth asking your tutor?

Is it worth asking your tutor?

I've sort of asked. Thing is I've advanced more than the other students who are still on the basic course and have not yet done the nail art and advanced nail application as I already have. I'm the only student who doesn't work (other than nails) so I've managed to get through the course quickly. I just want to get a head start on my portfolio. The one she showed me didn't impress me and I just want to know if it's worth the work and expense of doing it all myself or buying a photoalbum and pasting up.

I've sort of asked. QUOTE]

Ask explicitly, your tutor should know the syllabus/criteria to tell you (and if not they can find out). I honestly can't see it being an issue though, but best be on the safe side before you start putting the effort in x

i teach this... which nail art unit is it????? is it Vr72? let me know... if is is that one then technically you do not have to produce a visual portfolio, as its observed work- some on nail extensions and at least one on natural nails- but like your tutor i have asked for a visual presentation.. alot of mine use artists palettes but to me, anything neat and artistically presented is acceptable...any questions feel free to ask.. but as i sometimes say- if you are unsure either ask or read your vtct log book which is D1053- it will tell you everything that is required.. hth

If it is unit BT24 or25 thats a diff story....

i teach this... which nail art unit is it????? is it Vr72? let me know... if is is that one then technically you do not have to produce a visual portfolio, as its observed work- some on nail extensions and at least one on natural nails- but like your tutor i have asked for a visual presentation.. alot of mine use artists palettes but to me, anything neat and artistically presented is acceptable...any questions feel free to ask.. but as i sometimes say- if you are unsure either ask or read your vtct log book which is D1053- it will tell you everything that is required.. hth

If it is unit BT24 or25 thats a diff story....
Not sure what these mean as i haven't been given my info yet :p

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping to find someone like you. I asked my instructress for more info, but was told that she should have the booklet and info for me next week. The actual exams are Level 2 Cert in Nail Art, Level 2 Cert in Nail Technology, and Level 3 Dip in Health, Safety & Security and Employment Standards.

yes its vr72.. which is the level 2-sometimes it takes a while for the log books to arrive from vtct in there it tells you everything you need...like i said its all visual observations that are logged as evidence- im sure what you are doing is fab .. dont hestitate to ask if you are stuck on anything...

yes its vr72.. which is the level 2-sometimes it takes a while for the log books to arrive from vtct in there it tells you everything you need...like i said its all visual observations that are logged as evidence- im sure what you are doing is fab .. dont hestitate to ask if you are stuck on anything...

Thanks. Don't be surprised if you get a pm from me some time in the future. :lol: :D

i did vtct level 2 last yr & our tutor gave us a plan of how to lay our foder out if you want i'll pm you the ayout we had x

that ment to say folder & layout!!! having probs finding my "l"!!!

that ment to say folder & layout!!! having probs finding my "l"!!!
:lol: :lol: Ha ha sorry had to laugh. That's sweet of you thanks. I'm hoping to have the info by the end of this week. If not I may take you up on your offer thank you.

Last edited:
I think compared to normal examing boards - the nails VCT is not clear on what is expected - you cant find things online and tutors are more interested in teaching the course and then giving you information on what is required.
I have notice my training college is now providing nail courses inc the exam for the NVQ 2 and 3 nails and giving their students support - i had to apply for the qualification and do the work with very little support.

I think compared to normal examing boards - the nails VCT is not clear on what is expected - you cant find things online and tutors are more interested in teaching the course and then giving you information on what is required.
I have notice my training college is now providing nail courses inc the exam for the NVQ 2 and 3 nails and giving their students support - i had to apply for the qualification and do the work with very little support.
i beg to differ.. the log books are self explanatory and obviously the tutor can break it down for the students.. VTCT are very clear and the External verifiers are very clear on standardisation. I cannot speak for other VTCT tutors , but i make it VERY clear what is expected from day one. and reitterate this throughout the course. They also have a lovely new website where you can click on the course and all the requirements will appear.. can i ask what do you mean " compared to NORMAL examining boards"?? is VTCT not normal??

Latest posts

Back