Qualifications Around the World!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oey

Reaction score
Was just reading through an old thread and some of the points discussed and wondered how the qualifications around the world differed.

E.g. - if you have a nail, skin or hair qualification in the US or Aus how does it differ to the UK.

If your are qualified in nails, does all the qualifications across the world also allow you to do natural nail care and would it also allow you to do treatments on feet. If you are a qualified in Hair does it also qualify you do treatments on other parts of the body or just the hair that is on the scalp? If you are qualified as a skin expert does it allow you to do more treatments in some countries than others.

I am always curious as it could lead to lots of confusion on what treatments people are qualified to do when we are talking to geeks all around the world.

One thing I have always wondered is I know in America of the term AESTHETICIAN (know there is a few different ways of spelling it too) and wondered what this actually qualifies you to do.

Wasn't quite sure which forum this would belong to so went for the business one as it does apply to all us professionals.

Apologies for any bad spelling - not got spell check and it aint my strong point.

i can only comment on the probs i have with going over to canada:) , i did an itec beauty course because i was told it was internationally recognised , so thought when i got to canada it would be easier than if i had done say an nvq etc..
errr wrong !! i will still have to take other exams to be licensed in canada, in certain provinces nails is unlicensed but beauty is always licensed
i think its easier for people to come here than when we go somewhere else , i would think in this day and age that we would have some sort of international agreement to make it easier for people with a trade to be able to work abroad

i can only comment on the probs i have with going over to canada:) , i did an itec beauty course because i was told it was internationally recognised , so thought when i got to canada it would be easier than if i had done say an nvq etc..
errr wrong !! i will still have to take other exams to be licensed in canada, in certain provinces nails is unlicensed but beauty is always licensed
i think its easier for people to come here than when we go somewhere else , i would think in this day and age that we would have some sort of international agreement to make it easier for people with a trade to be able to work abroad

Thanks Dee.

I think you are the ideal candidate to "pick your brains" and you have re-located from one part of the world to another and you are also qualified in all three areas of beauty being discussed!

So - when you re-qualifify say in skin in Canada will it allow you to do any different treatments that your UK skin qualification. Does you have to re-do hair qualifications as well? Is your situation around Canadian qualifications the same as US?

well i aint over there yet , lol , next year !! , as far as i am aware even peeps from the usa still have to re do exams , basically canada dont recognise anyones qualifications except their own , :irked:
i will have to re do hair, beauty and nails , because although we were gonna live in alberta , i might be moving to manitoba now which has its own set of rules !! you have to do 1020 hours of school for beauty and serve a 2 yr apprenteship , which is pants really but if thats what i have to do then so be it , in alberta it isnt as srtict as that , and in b.c they are meant to have an agreement with habia to recognise uk qulifications ,
all very confusing !! :lol:

well i aint over there yet , lol , next year !! , as far as i am aware even peeps from the usa still have to re do exams , basically canada dont recognise anyones qualifications except their own , :irked:
i will have to re do hair, beauty and nails , because although we were gonna live in alberta , i might be moving to manitoba now which has its own set of rules !! you have to do 1020 hours of school for beauty and serve a 2 yr apprenteship , which is pants really but if thats what i have to do then so be it , in alberta it isnt as srtict as that , and in b.c they are meant to have an agreement with habia to recognise uk qulifications ,
all very confusing !! :lol:

There I go - presuming you were already there! Apologies - at least you can be happy that you have thoroughly done your homework!

Does the Canadian hair qualification allow you to work on other areas of the body, like tinting eyebrows etc?

no not that i know of , but i wont be doing my hair exam , might only do nails actually coz it will cost a fortune to do all the exams :eek:

are you planning on moving away somewhere then ??? (just being nosy , lol )

no not that i know of , but i wont be doing my hair exam , might only do nails actually coz it will cost a fortune to do all the exams :eek:

are you planning on moving away somewhere then ??? (just being nosy , lol )

We have considered moving away, but soon talked ourselves out of the idea too!

Honestly - just wanted to clarify how the different geeks qualifications vary as it could lead to some issue where a geek is qualified in something that we think they may not be if you get my meaning. Dont want to jump down somebodies thoat if they are qualified.

ooh hun get moving away ! this country is off down the pan :lol: , i cant wait to leave , lol

Just wanted to bump this up as there is more geeks about now! :hug:

ooh hun get moving away ! this country is off down the pan :lol: , i cant wait to leave , lol

Where do you live dee? I assume you're in the UK somewhere... Love to visit someday. :green:

I'm in Northern Michigan, USA. A Stylist for 24 years...(still love Hair and Skin!)...when I took my state boards, we were licensed in all things Beauty...Hair, Nails, Skin.

My State just changed things a couple of years ago, and now you have to be certified or licensed in each separate art.

I know in Australia that a certain amount of training hours & therory has to be completed to be what is called Accredited.

Non accredited courses are more hobby based - no certificate.
When you change countries the gap has to be filled to have you competent[term used here]

For assistance re: requirements in Australia from overseas therapists/students contact:
Roslyn Hogan - Principal CEO
Australian College of Vocational Training.
[email protected]

HtH
XX J XX

The National Interstate Cosmetology Council is currently working to get all states to accept a license if the candidate has taken an NIC exam. They are also working internationally to get the same recognition, some areas already have this. British Columbia my Northern Neighbor will accept an Idaho license for cosmetology and allow them to practice all areas of cosmetology. I know this only because we have had a recent graduate in this situation. She is now back home and working in a salon on her Idaho Cosmetology license.

There are entities that are working to ensure a standardised test to allow us movement with out retraining or retesting on our practical skills.

Was just reading through an old thread and some of the points discussed and wondered how the qaulifications around the world differed.

E.g. - if you have a nail, skin or hair qualification in the US or Aus how does it differ to the UK.

If your are qualified in nails, does all the qualifications across the world also allow you to do natural nail care and would it also allow you to do treatments on feet. If you are qualified in Hair does it also qualify you do treatments on other parts of the body or just the hair that is on the scalp? If you are qualified as a skin expert does it allow you to do more treatments in some countries than others.

I am always curious as it could lead to lots of confusion on what treatments people are qualified to do when we are talking to geeks all around the world.

One thing I have always wondered is I know in America of the term AESTHETICIAN (know there is a few different ways of spelling it too) and wondered what this actually qualifies you to do.
this belongs more in Chitchat but it will be okay here for now.LOL
I am in Washington State USA. When I went to beauty school as we call it here.Back in 1979-1980. It was 2000 hrs.of training.
I learned everything except artificial nails. We only did manicures. We did skin care, Hair care and nail care.
We learned about every bone ,blood vessel, muscle etc in the whole body. In fact, we were told that by the time we graduated from school, we only had to take 200 more hours to become a nurse. That is how intensive it was.
I was licensed to do it all. But I didn't.
Manicurist (nails) is including pedicures,
Aesthetician was facial massage, full body waxing, head and shoulder massage, application of makeup, skin care and ear piercing
Hair was Haircuts, colors, perming, scalp massage.

then sometime in mid 90's , they cut the hours down to 1600 and separated all areas. You have to take everything separate from each other. So you were either, Hair-nails or skin

But everyone prior to the cutting of the hours and changing the classification, were grandfathered in and we were asked what areas did we want to be licensed in.
For Every classification area was a extra charge to be licensed. So If you wanted all 3 classifications you are charged 50 dollars for each one.
I chose Nails and Hair. Now if I want to get back into Skin therapy, I will have to go back to school.
I wish they would make it mandatory that we have to take at least one extensive learning class a year to refresh.

If I was to go to California, I do believe that I have to take their state board exam and complete any hours that are shy in order to get my license to practice there.

this belongs more in Chitchat but it will be okay here for now.LOL
I am in Washington State USA. When I went to beauty school as we call it here.Back in 1979-1980. It was 2000 hrs.of training.
I learned everything except artificial nails. We only did manicures. We did skin care, Hair care and nail care.
We learned about every bone ,blood vessel, muscle etc in the whole body. In fact, we were told that by the time we graduated from school, we only had to take 200 more hours to become a nurse. That is how intensive it was.
I was licensed to do it all. But I didn't.
Manicurist (nails) is including pedicures,
Aesthetician was facial massage, full body waxing, head and shoulder massage, application of makeup, skin care and ear piercing
Hair was Haircuts, colors, perming, scalp massage.

then sometime in mid 90's , they cut the hours down to 1600 and separated all areas. You have to take everything separate from each other. So you were either, Hair-nails or skin

But everyone prior to the cutting of the hours and changing the classification, were grandfathered in and we were asked what areas did we want to be licensed in.
For Every classification area was a extra charge to be licensed. So If you wanted all 3 classifications you are charged 50 dollars for each one.
I chose Nails and Hair. Now if I want to get back into Skin therapy, I will have to go back to school.
I wish they would make it mandatory that we have to take at least one extensive learning class a year to refresh.

If I was to go to California, I do believe that I have to take their state board exam and complete any hours that are shy in order to get my license to practice there.

Thanks JD.

I agree with the idea of taking a learning class each year to prove competence, as I feel that some people really need this to maintain or improve the skills that they never had!

What does a cosmetologist do different than a Aesthetician? And who gets qualified in say lash and brow tinting?

Does the qualification requirements differ so much from State to State in the US - doesnt seem to make it easy for one person to move from state to another!

I know that the qualifications are set in hours, but I presume that the college/schools set how many hours are allowed each week. How long does it actually take to get to be allowed to practice your skills on clients, - in the UK someone can attend a 1 day course on nail enhancements and could get insurance to practice on the client. But, saying that it is not law for somebody to be trained at all to do treatments on clients and charge for it.

The thought that some of us in the UK do years of training to gain our knowledge and experience, and then some call themselves qualified after 1 day!

I have my beauty therapy diploma, which included a certificate 2 in nail technology. The Cert2 was manicure, pedicure, L&P and a demonstration on gel, but qualifies you to use any system.
The diploma included waxing (with an extra day for Brazillians), lash & brow tinting, swedish massage, makeup, facials including with electrical machines such as galvanic, body treatments and the choice of either electrolysis or cosmetic tattooing. I did cosmetic tattooing, which included eyeliner, lip liner, eyebrows & beauty spots.
We also had to do some business studies, reception, retail.

I have my beauty therapy diploma, which included a certificate 2 in nail technology. The Cert2 was manicure, pedicure, L&P and a demonstration on gel, but qualifies you to use any system.
The diploma included waxing (with an extra day for Brazillians), lash & brow tinting, swedish massage, makeup, facials including with electrical machines such as galvanic, body treatments and the choice of either electrolysis or cosmetic tattooing. I did cosmetic tattooing, which included eyeliner, lip liner, eyebrows & beauty spots.
We also had to do some business studies, reception, retail.

Thanks Bernadette

Do the quals in Aus differ a great deal like in the UK with one day courses etc?

Thanks Bernadette

Do the quals in Aus differ a great deal like in the UK with one day courses etc?
You can do a 1-2 day course on pretty much anything, but al you get is a Statement of Attendance (SA), a piece of paper to say you went, not that your acually capable of anything.

What does a cosmetologist do different than a Aesthetician? And who gets qualified in say lash and brow tinting?
Good question!! A cosmetologist is someone who does hair. But back before the qualification change , cosmetologist did everything.
A manicurist is someone who is qualified to do Nails/enhancement/ pedicures.
A Aesthetician is qualified to do any type of skin treatments including those done with machines(dermabrasion) and lash and brow tinting.
Seems like everyone if they chose, does facial waxing and ear piercing.
Does the qualification requirements differ so much from State to State in the US - doesnt seem to make it easy for one person to move from state to another!
All states require different hours of training. but I think they are starting to come together closer on hours and most states make you take their exam boards.
I know that the qualifications are set in hours, but I presume that the college/schools set how many hours are allowed each week. How long does it actually take to get to be allowed to practice your skills on clients, - in the UK someone can attend a 1 day course on nail enhancements and could get insurance to practice on the client. But, saying that it is not law for somebody to be trained at all to do treatments on clients and charge for it.
When I went to cosmetology school, we had to do 500 hrs in theory only before allowed down on the floor to work on the public. I don't know what it is now. But some needed more time some less, it was to the discretion of the Teacher as whether you were to be trusted to work on the public. :lol:

Insurance isn't something that we personally have to have to practice on the public. Most schools cover that for you and when you graduate from school, you will work as a employee and the owners insurance will cover you. When you go out on your own as a independent, is when you need your own insurance.

Once you get your license in cosmetology, all you have to do is take a one day class to be certified to do nail enhancements. Aesthicians , iam not entirely sure about. But i think it is a bit more training involved for extra services.
It seems that over there in the UK, is a bit more laxed in skill training and certification. One day training and you are allowed to do the public? It takes the basic schooling in manicurist, which I think...is about 400 hrs?? first. Then you can take extensive training in other areas of your trade.

Latest posts

Back