Quantity over quality?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chameleonhair

Reaction score
I'm shortly going to be making the switch from being an odd-job/hobby extensionist to setting myslef up a small mobile business.

My question is this.

So far I have been using a certain brands extensions, they are good quality (uni-directional hair, but NOt Remy) but relatively cheap in the extension market.

Regardless of what hair I use, my installation method will stay the same, but I feel that by doing the cheaper extensions I will get more customers (people like my friends who cannot afford over £200 for extensions and teenagers for whom extensions are in fashion) but I will not get the more up-market clients, where it may be possible for me to do less installations but with more profit.

I mean I could also offer two different ranges I guess, and clients with good money know they are getting a superior product. I don't know, have any of you come across this kind of conundrum?

sure ,
i have 3 price tiers and make it known to the higher payers that they getting the best hair,
and also the lower paying wont be as nice hair obviously,
i find this works well for me

I too offer 3 grades;
Russian/polish hair
European (usually Spanish hair)
Cheap hair (Indian)
I very rarely use the cheap stuff and will not guarantee the life of the hair as I do with the other grades.
My application prices start at more than 200 so am not aiming at the young market.

I'm shortly going to be making the switch from being an odd-job/hobby extensionist to setting myslef up a small mobile business.

My question is this.

So far I have been using a certain brands extensions, they are good quality (uni-directional hair, but NOt Remy) but relatively cheap in the extension market.

Regardless of what hair I use, my installation method will stay the same, but I feel that by doing the cheaper extensions I will get more customers (people like my friends who cannot afford over £200 for extensions and teenagers for whom extensions are in fashion) but I will not get the more up-market clients, where it may be possible for me to do less installations but with more profit.

I mean I could also offer two different ranges I guess, and clients with good money know they are getting a superior product. I don't know, have any of you come across this kind of conundrum?

hi i also offer a 3 teir pricelist. my cheapest option when i first started out mobile was below 200.00 ..but now the cheapest option starts from 225-300 from 18-26 inches and i dont offer non-remy hair.
and at the price it is now i get more people then when it was cheaper price.. and its still £10-20 cheaper then some,
quite alot of people go for the middle option anyway but the younger people who wont it as as a one off go for the cheapest.

so much people who ring will say they saw it for £150 etc and i thought it was too cheap so something must be wrong etc.... and alot of people do think this way so being tooo cheap can and most likely go against you.
plus if people really cant afford to get it done and moan about the price these are the ones that end up being a problem tbh.
also people go by your work and pictures on your site and they will pay more if they know they are getting what they want.
but most defintely offer more then option!

hth

Last edited:

My question is this.

It make the perfect sense to cater for your market. This is your bread and butter.Also you will find usually people upgrade if there is a better option.
And sometimes it can work the other way.
i.e too many options and they will want the better one for the cheaper price.
I reccomend studying your product market and pruchase as risk free products as possible.
The products will have to be quite different to validate the different prices.
Im a big fan of a particular method my self and i do three different versions.
i simply install i few in the clients hair and very quickly its decided which way she is going
9 time out of 10 she will take the Mercedes.

Latest posts

Back