Question for all Beauty/Make-up Geeks!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
Hi Geeks, Can anyone suggest a good bridal make-up book and/or video and where these can best be purchased? I am also interested in bridal make-up courses (I live in Hertfordshire). I would appreciate your input please?

i saw a great book in borders in leeds the other day, sorry i dont know what it was called (not much help am i)

Just bumping this up a bit. I don't want to go and buy just any make-up book or video or book on any old course. I'm even prepared to travel a bit in my car. Recommendations would be useful please.

Hi Tracey I do use some Virgin and also some SBC (Simply Beautiful cosmetics) to be honest I don't think a book will be as useful as pro training, is there not a course you could get on perhaps to learn? Not sure exactly what you're after - are you wanting to learn more on this subject or buy in some make up to offer professionally?

Mrs.Clooney said:
Just bumping this up a bit. I don't want to go and buy just any make-up book or video or book on any old course. I'm even prepared to travel a bit in my car. Recommendations would be useful please.

I am booked in to do a Bridal and photography make up course next Friday with Salons-Direct in Birkenhead. I can let you know how it went afterwards if you like?

I bought the Delamar book of make-up just to swot up on...and it really went into more theatrical...it didnt cover enough on photography...I would love to know how your course went!!!

tinkywinky said:
Hi Tracey I do use some Virgin and also some SBC (Simply Beautiful cosmetics) to be honest I don't think a book will be as useful as pro training, is there not a course you could get on perhaps to learn? Not sure exactly what you're after - are you wanting to learn more on this subject or buy in some make up to offer professionally?
Let me explain myself a bit better. Sorry I wasn't clearer,LOL. I am a Virgin Vie consultant and Virgin offer a Bridal Make-up exam for their consultants. You get a certificate to do bridal make-up using their products because that is what we are trained in. There is an exam taking place this weekend but I didn't do it because I didn't feel confident enough:rolleyes:. I do my own make-up with no probs and have done make-overs on other people who think I'm their fairy godmother but I want to develop my confidence and broaden my skills. I don't like to do things by half measures and like to get the most out of what I am learning. This is why I am asking for recommendations. The world is a maze out there and I really don't know where to start looking. Hope this explains it.:)

Nail FX said:
I am booked in to do a Bridal and photography make up course next Friday with Salons-Direct in Birkenhead. I can let you know how it went afterwards if you like?
Would love to get feedback Nail FX. If you don't mind me asking, how much is the course costing?

Mrs.Clooney said:
London is a maze though Loo. Where does one start?

Hi Mrs Clooney, I would start by searching makeup courses on Google
Here is some info try these

http://www.google.com/search?source...UA:2005-29,GEUA:en&q=makeup+courses+in+London

Give them a ring for some advice it will be better training as you will learn more about a wider range of products and applications etc (photography makeup) which is important to know when doing makeup for weddings as well.

Hope this helps.

Lucy x

loo said:
Hi Mrs Clooney, I would start by searching makeup courses on Google
Here is some info try these

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GEUA,GEUA:2005-29,GEUA:en&q=makeup+courses+in+London

Give them a ring for some advice it will be better training as you will learn more about a wider range of products and applications etc (photography makeup) which is important to know when doing makeup for weddings as well.

Hope this helps.

Lucy x
Thanks so much loo for the links. You are a star.

No probs hun let me know where you choose to go and how you get on and if you need any help.

xx

Hi, it's best to get your skills from experience and practice rather than a book, as I'm sure you know! I use books for inspiration and extra tips and tricks, Francois Nars' Make Up Your Mind is great for such.

Lots of the most successful artists have no formal training whatsoever. Instead they work their way up from assisting other MUAs. Perhaps you could contact an artist in your area to see if they need an assistant (this work is voluntary, but you will be gaining valuable expertise!).

There are lots of schools to choose from, the London market especially is saturated. The Delamar Academy is excellent, you don't want to go on their full course if you only want to do Bridal. See if they're doing a "unit" course (where you just go along just for the week or two where they're covering Special Occasion makeup) as sometimes they offer this if they're not too booked up.

Hope this helps!

AmydeMan said:
Hi, it's best to get your skills from experience and practice rather than a book, as I'm sure you know! I use books for inspiration and extra tips and tricks, Francois Nars' Make Up Your Mind is great for such.

Lots of the most successful artists have no formal training whatsoever. Instead they work their way up from assisting other MUAs. Perhaps you could contact an artist in your area to see if they need an assistant (this work is voluntary, but you will be gaining valuable expertise!).

There are lots of schools to choose from, the London market especially is saturated. The Delamar Academy is excellent, you don't want to go on their full course if you only want to do Bridal. See if they're doing a "unit" course (where you just go along just for the week or two where they're covering Special Occasion makeup) as sometimes they offer this if they're not too booked up.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your reply. Don't get me wrong, I don't intend to become an expert by reading books etc... but I am a very visual person and love books/ videos with lots of colourful pictures and suggests to follow up the text. Something one can always refer back to. I have had a look at what's on offer from the London School of Beauty, but it looks pretty intense and is very expensive. My budget is limited. I have, however found somebody on a website suggested by Loo who does one day courses in Bridal Make-up and she also uses Virgin Vie Products. I will have to drive for 2 1/2 hours but that is doable and she charges £145.

Hiya,

I would try going on to amazon and buying any of the Kevin Aucoin books. They are absolutley gorgeous. His looks go from subtle to OTT. There are lots of famous faces, step by step guides and some fantastic cameos.
I can always get inspiration from his books.
I also collect lots of womens glossys from around the world. Try going into a Boarders or Waterstones and looking at the international magazines like Vogue, Elle (subscription to the US Elle is really quiet inexpensive and really worthwhile) etc. Beauty houses always have different products for different regions, you can always pick up tips or new looks in the magazines, even if the print is ina different language!
I hope this helps and good luck.

Opps forgot to add, the books are not strictly bridal, but the element of creating different looks are covered.

Latest posts

Back