Question for CND nail geeks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brightbeauty

Reaction score
I have been told by 2 therapists in work that CND Solar Oil helps to set CND Liquid and Powder......I am wondering if there is any truth in this as i have never heard this before. My initial reaction was no dont be so daft but both therapists were adamant of this. I have trained with CND and been doing nails for over 10 years, either i am doubting my own knowledge or i really need to brush up on things and improve myself. Can any of you super smart nail geeks help? X

Yes, solar oil helps the enhancement to adhere well to the natural nail.

L&P takes a few days for it to fully cure and these few days is when the l&p can easily break. But with solar oil it speeds up the curing process and becomes tougher I believe.

And when the nail is lubricated with oil and stays on better, if the natural nail is dehydrated then the enhancement will lift from the nail hence what causes for it too lift.

Hth xx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's my understanding that solar oil helps plasticise the L&P and allows it to remain very flexible

L&P takes a few days for it to fully cure and these few days is when the l&p can easily break. But with solar oil it speeds up the curing process and becomes tougher I believe.

And when the nail is lubricated with oil and stays on better, if the natural nail is dehydrated then the enhancement will lift from the nail hence what causes for it too lift.

Hth xx

So you are saying that when using CND acrylic you should not dehydrate the nail before application, but to use solar oil before and have the nail well lubricated?

No, during prep the nail needs to be dehydrated but after the acrylics are done then you apply your oil

To avoid confusion, Prep is about, removing cuticle and dehydrating the nail prior to enhancements being applied. CND prep involves using Cuticle Away cuticle remover and Scrubfresh dehydrator.

Once the enhancement has been applied and all your finish filing done you can plasticise the enhancement with Solar Oil. This does help speed up the curing process. I think I am right in saying that it takes 24-48 hours for the product to fully cure but 60% of this occurs in the first hour. This is also why you wouldn't use to harsh a grit abrasive on a newly applied enhancement. Oxygen inhibits the cure Buffing Solar oil in with the 1200 side of a Koala Buffer helps stop that and speeds up the cure. It's all to do with plugging the little holes in the cross linking structure with oil.
Then wash hands and buff to a high shine with a Girlfriend 3 way buffer.

Of course this was always part of the CND procedures and training before Shellac, Gel Polishes and using a Gel topcoat to finish became so popular.

Nowadays most Techs only finish file with a 180 grit abrasive and then apply their chosen product.
Working down the grits to a 240 grit abrasive and then plasticising would prevent a gel topcoat, Shellac or a Gel Polish adhering properly therefore it has fallen out of use.

For my clients who don't want colour or too glossy a shine on their enhancments I still work down the grits, plasticise and buff to a high shine, although the vast majority do want colour.
Hope this helps.

If you lubricate the nail with ANY THING prior to applying acrylic it will LIFT. Dehydrate FIRST...oil AFTER acrylic applied.
Regualr use of oil will hydrate your acrylic and you will get longer and better wear out of them as the oil will prevent your acrylic becoming brittle.
Solar oil does speed up the curing process which i was told on l&p is 24 HOURS..NOT A FEW DAYS??? shock horror..after 10 years in the industry!!
Also apply a thin layer to wet polish and it will protect it from smudges and dry it better.
Basically oil acts as barrier drying whats underneath quicker... crap scientific explanation

Using solar oil after any treatment prevents oxygen and thus dries the coating out quicker, this is why we use it after normal polish and so the same applies to l&p. As with anything it depends on the environment it is in as to how quickly it dries...look at a freshly plastered wall in a cold room and then in a warm room, the principles are the same with l&p, so could be 24 hours if someone is in a warm place but if by client works somewhere cold it could be a little over that. ( hoping that makes sense)

Applied directly after the application of the product and used daily, Solar Oil plasticises or adds flexibility to the product which helps the product to stay adhered to the natural nail because it keeps it from drying out and becoming brittle.

Solar Oil does speed up the curing process of liquid & powder by almost 50% faster for the reasons already explained. Keeping the product flexible does make it tough and less likely to break.

I think here, what you meant is that if the natural nail and the product become dehydrated because Solar Oil has not been regularly used during aftercare, then lifting and breakages will be more likely to occur.w

Hth xx

I completely understand what you are saying and you are not wrong, but because you have left big gaps in your information it has come across as very confusing and unclear.

Izzy has clarified with perfect information and well done other posters for re-in forcing izzy's information. All I have done above is the same thing by adding the same information in red to the post above so that you can see that although not wrong, the extra explanation in the right places should help non-CND trained people or newbies to understand more clearly.

Thanks gigi for explaning better :) I knew I was giving the right answer, just didnt explain it well as I should have. :hugs:

Latest posts

Back