Question regarding qualifications/legal rights in a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmo

Reaction score
Hello..

Ok So I don't know if anyone can read this, or if anyone can help, But here goes!

I've recently started working in a salon (to be honest It doesn't seem like a very professional salon) But my main question is.

what qualifications do you have to have to work and be insured in a salon. One of the girls who started with me has only qualified in nail extensions, waxing and ear piercing. The only problem is our boss has chucked her in the deep end and is making her do massage and other treatments she's never done. I've had to show her my massage routine that I learned with my training and have given her all of my books and notes to help her, but she isn't trained. My boss has told me and my colleague to go onto youtube and watch videos of things were not comfortable in I.E I'm not great at nail painting and bamboo massage and My colleague is not comfortable with any spa treatments and eye treatments, she's not training us, she's hardly ever in and she's making us do said treatments on clients with out even showing us properly.

Is this legal and allowed or do we need actual training?? Are we insured to work even though we haven't learned all of the treatments?? What are the rules regarding qualifications and working in a salon??

Many thanks.
Emmo

You 'technically' don't need any qualifications to do any treatments however you then wouldn't be insured. You need to be trained in each area or have a NVQ or equivalent to cover most things I believe. Hopefully someone else can explain a bit better with more info.

For example there is nothing stopping me opening a salon legally and doing any treatment I felt like however I wouldn't be insured to carry out any of the treatments so would be on my head if anything went wrong.

Latest posts

Back