Question: should the British Fashion Council ban size Zeros from London Fasion Week

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
people come in all shapes and sizes, kinda like fingernails, should we ban certain size fingernails, people can't help the way they are, thin or thick (you get my drift), some naturally thin people want to be larger (but nobody ever thinks of these people), they are apparently lucky, just as some large want to be thinner. Dark haired people will always want to be blonde (and visa versa).
The world we live in is strange indeed, it's a consumer society and also very hypocritical. It's OK to be average, large, but not OK to be thin, but everyone no matter what size seems to have the right (or demand) to have an ipod (but an ipod is only money) what happened to a soccerball or a pushbike as sufficient? Some strive to be larger, some strive to be smaller, why should one be better than the other? If I wanted to be thin career wise, I could do only 3 fills a day, but i choose to do more, does that make me bad?

You can be small or large in whatever arena you wish, it's merely effort that sets us apart. Your degree of success can't be blamed on a glandular problem.

I'm not sure that's its conveying the message everyone thinks it is. when i was growing up i was the skinniest you could imagine. probably equatable to a size 0 but i was SO unhappy. i knew it looked awful, my clothes hung off me, my teachers accused me of being anorexic and i ate junk food like a horse to try and gain weight. so you can be that weight and be unhappy. as it was it was just because my body was concentrating on growing tall instead of out. it started to correct itself in my very late teens thank God.

i think you can be unhappy whatever your weight, and anorexics don't become that way solely because of an image in a magazine (although i'm sure if they're on their way it doesn't help). What i'm trying to say is the world is obsessed with dieting, but no-one promotes general healthy living and, most importantly, exercise. how many people do you know that say "i need to do some exercise" when they want to lose weight or say "i need to go on a diet". i bet a lot more say diet, exercise seems to be swear word, yet we all know that diets don't work long term.

We feed our kids cr@p and then comment about their weight (which is usually puppy fat anyway) but no-one bothers to teach them about proper nutrition and exercise, so they think that they are simply eating too much (not just too much crap) and start to starve themselves thinking it will correct the problem, and from then on it can become a downward spiral.

i think main influences come from throw away comments by family and friends, so i don't think the catwalks are to blame, except that they should promote all sizes. be careful, if you ban size 0 altogether you could start a problem with skinny people not liking themselves and eating fatty foods to gain weight, causing different health issues. and we should also promote the fact that sizes in America are different to here.

Im a size 14 and im 6ft 2. my bmi actually says im UNDERWEIGHT FOR MY HEIGHT. everyone ses i look like a size 10 tho, just shows that sizes can b deceiving.

Im a size 14 and im 6ft 2. my bmi actually says im UNDERWEIGHT FOR MY HEIGHT. everyone ses i look like a size 10 tho, just shows that sizes can b deceiving.

You're the same height as my friend and I think she is a size 10 in tops but really struggles to get nice fitting trousers/jeans with the hip cut and the length.

Interestingly, there was a pic in yesterday's Daily Mail of a beautiful, curvy size 12 model as John Lewis sell 80% of all their swimwear to sizes 12 and above so they have decided to use a model that is representative of their buyers. Hooray for John Lewis!

As to the Size 0 debate, this size is right if it is in proportion (VHunter looks gorgeous in all her dress sizes) but not on a 6ft model in my opinion. I think it is really the BMI that is the crucial measurement. Did anyone see that programme with Dawn Porter last night trying to slim down to a size 0 and how teenage girls said they would do anything to be models, even losing 2 stone if necessary?

Juliette x

Personally, for me its not the size of these models, its the lifestyle and unhealthy image they portray. Did anybody watch that programme last night on BBC3? It was about a perfectly healthy size 10/12 girl who for the programme tried her hardest to get to an American size 0 UK size 4, and my god did she struggle!!!!

She went to se Philip Blach(sp?) and he told her that alot of Alisters and models drink a combination of honey, cayenne pepper, water etc and that is it, to maintain this tiny size!! They dont eat!!

Beyonce starved herself thin on a concoction of maple syrup and water, and nothing else! We were led to believe that she put in the hard graft and went on a healthy eating plan.

Vicotria Beckham chews on prawns all day long, and eats of a tiny plate with tiny knife and fork!

Im not saying ban these minute models if they are naturally this way, just look in depth into their eating (or not as the case may be), and make sure they are healthy.

Young girls are getting into the modelling industry, and is it at all healthy for them to be drinking a vile concoction and no food, just to get into a size 0 dress? I think not! Its an unhealthy choice for anyone.

Ive gotten down off my soap box now, Ive taken a bow, thank you and goodnight !!! xx

I didn't even know there was a size zero either!!

They look awful!! It's sickly. I hate seeing skinny people modelling clothes for other people i.e. size 14 upwards as they always look different on you than them. Hope you understand what I mean.

I think banning size zero is not the way to go, as vhunter said there are alot of people who are that size and isn't it desrimination to ban a group of people from that industry, at the same time i think there needs to be a shake up and we need to get an array of sizes out there. i'm personally a size 16, (i do have a 4 month old son) but even at my smallest i'm usually a 12-14. I'm happy with that and don't really feel the pressure from models, but i think kids these days are way more into high fashion and to be hones t i don't want my daughters to aspire to be super skinny if thats not the way they are built, love yourself and love your body whatever form it takes! xx

The Louise Redknapp prog is on ITV now

Im just watching this now omg its crazy :rolleyes:

I am too,its quite disturbing who little a person has to eat to achieve and maintain a size zero and even just as frightening what the Harley Street Doctor had to say about the dangers - it scared me:cry:

It was good to see Mel C looking happy and health again

As to the Size 0 debate, this size is right if it is in proportion (VHunter looks gorgeous in all her dress sizes) but not on a 6ft model in my opinion. I think it is really the BMI that is the crucial measurement. Did anyone see that programme with Dawn Porter last night trying to slim down to a size 0 and how teenage girls said they would do anything to be models, even losing 2 stone if necessary?

Juliette x

You are soooooooooo sweet!! Thanks! But personally, I think I look better now as a size 4 (us sizing)than I did as a size 0.
But you are sweet.:hug:

It's terrible, what teenagers are doing to themselves... there are girls as young as 7yrs old, becoming bulimic or anorexic because of the pressures to be thin.

This world is NUTS.

If i was a size zero I would look awful - louise looked awful and shes quite small - im 5ft 6 and 1 and a half years ago weighed 9.4st and look really slim, I cant imagine being 6st something I would look like a bag of bone litterally!! It did give me some diet tips but nothing to the extream of the zero diet! Plus they were right in saying that if you loose weight the wrong way you cut your musscle in half thus when you put on weight it really goes on quick because it cuts your metabalism so much and now im 13st - it took me 4-5 months to go from 14.5stone (after trying to shift my pregnancy weight for ages) down to 9.4st but i hardly eat anything I was sick just like lousie but i did no excercise at all so I was still all flabby anyway then I came to my sences after about 1 month of being that slim and just started eating normal - not excessive and now Im 13st and feel terrible but will not loose it the same way as last time, I am going to do it properly!!!

Latest posts

Back