Questions re pedicures on the elderly

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelby320

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a new nail tech, and live in a small rural area with a large elderly population. Last week, a woman booked an appointment for her father (probably in his late 70s?) to have his toenails trimmed. The appointment went well as his nails were in good shape. I did nothing other than soak his feet and then trim and file the nails. He had very flaky skin and cuticles, and I didn't touch any of that. Today, I get phone call from another woman wanting to book an appointment for her mother (probably late 70s as well). I asked if she just wanted me to trim and file her toenails, and she said no, that she needed cuticle work and she also mentioned that the corners of her toenails were cutting into her skin.

I have a feeling that I am going to start receiving a high number of requests to work on the elderly. Is it okay to just simply trim their nails? Should I refuse to do anything beyond that? Should I not perform any type of service and refer all of them elsewhere?

The only thing you really need to look out for is Diabetes, let a chiropodist deal with it. Otherwise, why not? X

The only thing you really need to look out for is Diabetes, let a chiropodist deal with it. Otherwise, why not? X

I agree. Im fully qualified but still only file and polish my own nails. Plus so u can simple file and polish a diabetic. I have previously checked this with a diabetic consultant. But stay away from cutting. Also soaking.feet is out too. A diabetic should not have their feet in have too warm or hot water. But like i said u can still polish x leave the rest to a chiropodist x

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

I agree. Im fully qualified but still only file and polish my own nails. Plus so u can simple file and polish a diabetic. I have previously checked this with a diabetic consultant. But stay away from cutting. Also soaking.feet is out too. A diabetic should not have their feet in have too warm or hot water. But like i said u can still polish x leave the rest to a chiropodist x

Im type 1 which is why i only file answer polish my own. Also just to make u aware you should someone with gestational diabetes same as type 1 or 2 xxx although i doubt anyone in there 70s will have this problem lol

If u do go ahead just be really careful doing the cuticle area and ur nippers, elderly people tend to have very thin skin around this area and if u nip they can be prone to bleeding, I usually cut the toe nails then file as they can be very thick and just use some cuticle remover and push down the cuticle rather than nipping it good luck xxx

I visit retirement homes and carry out quite a few pedicures. I always carry out a consulation prior to treatment and if they have diabetes it doesn't deter me from cutting their nails I just take extra care. I would never nip their cuticles though and would just apply cuticle cream, give the feet a good soak and then gently push them back. Please tell me if I shouldnt be doing this.

So, as long as they are not diabetic, I should be okay as long as I am just extra cautious with their delicate skin?

This is a great topic! I work in a nursing home giving manis and pedis. I also clean and shape everyone once a week.

Most of their toe nails are very thick along with sensitive skin so it may take more than one treatment to get the toe nails where they should be. Soaking is a great thing, it helps make the cutting of thick nails so much easier. I also put vinegar in my foot bath. I use orangewood sticks on everyone! I only use my metal implaments when necessary.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Jkhs, might sound like an odd question, but how did u get involved with that and do u charge them?

I visit retirement homes and carry out quite a few pedicures. I always carry out a consulation prior to treatment and if they have diabetes it doesn't deter me from cutting their nails I just take extra care. I would never nip their cuticles though and would just apply cuticle cream, give the feet a good soak and then gently push them back. Please tell me if I shouldnt be doing this.
One of my pedicure (and enhancement) clients is Type1 diabetic, it doesn't mean that you can't do the treatment, it just means that you have to be extremely careful with cuticle work and cutting the toenails etc :D

One of my pedicure (and enhancement) clients is Type1 diabetic, it doesn't mean that you can't do the treatment, it just means that you have to be extremely careful with cuticle work and cutting the toenails etc :D

perfect sense! xxx

Jkhs, might sound like an odd question, but how did u get involved with that and do u charge them?

Most nursing homes and assisted living has a mini salon in them. I actually came across the one I'm at on accident! But you could call around in your area to see if they offer those services. Yes, I do get paid. Being its a nursing home I bill them or the person taking care of their finances. I have a few that pay cash. I get a pay check but they dont hold taxes so its kinda like being in the salon but I dont have the cash in hand that day. I also get business from the employees which os a plus for both of us. I am right there in the facility so they can come on their lunch breaks. I really like it but you have to be open minded. Its not like dealing with everyday people.

Latest posts

Back