Quick nail art question.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessicles

Reaction score
Can you encase nail art done in acrylic paint under L&P, gel or gel sealant?

If you look at my website, all my free-hand painted art, and 'funky frenchs' are done under a gel sealant.
HOWEVER, important to note that the art MUST be PERFECTLY DRY.
AND, not all sealants are up to the task.
I use Nailite Seal-it and have no problems.

hth's
:hug:

So does that require more tha average drying time before applying the gloss (i have Brisa top gloss and also IBD Intense Seal)? And have you tried it under a layer of actual gel? I'm also curious about it going under L&P. I might have to experiment on myself..

Hi,
it works both under your regular gel and under L&P but as V said, it must be abselutely dry.
My acrylic paint goes dull when its completely dry and thats how I know.
I guess if you have a glossy paint it´s harder but just allow some extra time to be sure!

As others pointed out - no probs with doing that as long as it's dry.

Thanks everyone!

How do we get on your website v . Thanx :o) :)

If you look at my website, all my free-hand painted art, and 'funky frenchs' are done under a gel sealant.
HOWEVER, important to note that the art MUST be PERFECTLY DRY.
AND, not all sealants are up to the task.
I use Nailite Seal-it and have no problems.

hth's

Question - I have used gel to go over some of my nail art and really like it. The seal-it says to remove residue with acetone, but when I did it took the shine. So I used 99% alcohol, it didn't remove all of the shine, but it still was a little dull. So I tried 70% alcohol, had a little better results, but still not as high of a shine as what I would like. Do you use any different type of cleanser to keep the high shine? I like the sealents versus the tops coats because they are so beautiful and shine for longer.
Thanks!
P.s. I do use a seperate nail wipe to be careful in removing all residue, and not using a wipe oversaturated with residue.I know that can dull the sealer and gels.

Can you encase nail art done in acrylic paint under L&P, gel or gel sealant?
A little off subject, are those your nails in the pic? They are georgeous! And lovely work!

If you mean the ones in my avatar, yep those are mine. And thanks. I have never used Seal-it, so I can't help specifically with it, but I know with my gel top coat, I scrub the nail using a pad with some cuticle oil on it to remove the leftover residue and it give it an awesome shine, plus it's good for the cuticles, of course.

My nail art albums are here
Pictures by OnglesChezVictoria - Photobucket

I have never had issue with Seal it becoming 'dull'.
If you cure it fully for 3min, then let it cool 30secs, then wipe; they should be shiney. Even with an acetone based 'cleanser'.

I don't know about paint and such under L&P, I would be concerned about the monomer breaking it down, just as it can break down some cheaper glitters.

Jessicles, I don't know what "YOUR" average drying time is, but I find that about 10 min usually guarantees that it's fully dry (except in the case of some thick polishes, that are applied too thick.) and I don't experience problems.

hth's

i can vouch that you can encase acrylic paint under acrylic. i did my friends nails a few weeks ago and she wanted pink tips with black polka dots. i did the pink tips in pink acrylic and the dots with black acylic paint, then capped with clear acrylic.

obviously you have to wait until the paint is dry.

she hasnt had any service breakdown and they were done around 3 weeks ago

if your in doubt and if you have a nail trainer, try a test on that.xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back