Quilted nails-Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharan

Reaction score
Hi geeks

I have a client arriving in less than an hour, who has just sent me a picture of some quilted nails. I work with shellac and was wondering if and how this is possible to do with shellac.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.x

Hi sharan, do you have a picture of the nails? That would help.

In the past using gelish ive cured base and first colour coat then on 2nd colour coat do a finger stick it under lamp for couple seconds take it out and take thread and place in desired area and equally press down on either side of nail into semi cured layer once quilted then move onto nxt nail then once full hand done put under light for full curing time then top coat. ( i also dip my thread into acrylic powder so it didnt stick into gel too much) x hth x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1420890629.890488.jpg

In the past using gelish ive cured base and first colour coat then on 2nd colour coat do a finger stick it under lamp for couple seconds take it out and take thread and place in desired area and equally press down on either side of nail into semi cured layer once quilted then move onto nxt nail then once full hand done put under light for full curing time then top coat. ( i also dip my thread into acrylic powder so it didnt stick into gel too much) x hth x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Excellent. Will give it a go like this. Thanks you.x

Let us know how it goes. I'm excited to see the results 😄

I'd use the engraving method using shellac but it depends how neat you are with your lines, cure first colour coat then after applying the second use a dotting tool (select size) to carve out the lines x

Or use a cocktail stick.x

I think I read once that someone used dental floss, either on one of those stick things or just twined between the fingers.

Karaxxx

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1420973426.098153.jpg

So this was the end result. Disappointed as when I topcoated I lost the quilted effect. The client was happy, it showed more than the picture does. But would have still liked the lines to be a bit more prominent.

I think I may give it a go, without curing the second coat at all. I cured for a few seconds, but the lines were not carving out so neatly. They were leaving bits of cured shellac, if that makes sense.

I think I read once that someone used dental floss, either on one of those stick things or just twined between the fingers.

Karaxxx

Yes I too have seen this. I used the thread first to give me the straight lines and then dotting tool. I think the. Dental floss sticks would have given me more control, as when you're using the thread, I can hold the clients finger at same time.

You did a great job,They look gorgeous anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you HAVE to do the cutting on the top coat? Otherwise the gel is just going to pool into the lines? It is self leveling after all.

Really want to try these.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y330-U01 using SalonGeek mobile app

What I would have done is apply the second coat and leave for a min to settle. Then I would use a dotting took to carve out the lines. This way the Shellac/gel polish will not run. You do not need to cure until after you have carved out your design. You can then top coat. HTH x

You did a great job,They look gorgeous anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you HAVE to do the cutting on the top coat? Otherwise the gel is just going to pool into the lines? It is self leveling after all.

Really want to try these.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y330-U01 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you!
Yes I think you're absolute right. I was browsing through some YouTube videos last night and many didn't top coat after. Obviously with shellac you have to top coat, so yes cutting though that too I think would give the correct effect. Have to trial different methods.

Please post pic, if you decide to have a go :)

What I would have done is apply the second coat and leave for a min to settle. Then I would use a dotting took to carve out the lines. This way the Shellac/gel polish will not run. You do not need to cure until after you have carved out your design. You can then top coat. HTH x

Thanks Sophie. Good idea. Will give this method a go too. See which works best!

Think the first colour layer maybe could be a shade lighter to give the 'quilting' a contrast and show it off better.

Latest posts

Back