Quitting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair play to you and I wish you the very best of luck :)

For the record it think that any client that acts like that bride should be declined for the big day. The trail is to put both parties mind at ease that you will be a good fit for them on the big day, it wasn't a good fit so best left there. The fact it's two weeks before her wedding is completely irrelevant as she had been advised to have it sooner and chose not to.

I did get a quite abrupt and spiteful text message from her yesterday night, but I stand by what I did and why I did it

I did get a quite abrupt and spiteful text message from her yesterday night, but I stand by what I did and why I did it

True colours innit. Best off out of it :)

You did the right thing! If your instinct tells you not to take a client on for whatever reason, don't. I've said no to a few people for hair extensions/ colours.... Anything.... If I can refer them elsewhere I will. Client and stylist have to have some kind of connection and feel at ease. Who over the age of four leaves the house and behaves like that in front of people anyway! Wedding or no wedding... It's not as if she's losing a limb! 😁

It's not just brides who behave so badly, some general public do to. I did a make up look for a lady Saturday, she was insistant she wanted a traditional Burlesque 20s look which we spoke through in terms of using fake lashes and natural eye shadow, thick liner with a flick and Red lip all in keeping with a traditonal look. She then progressed to shout at me and tell me I knew nothing about this style, even scribbled her design on my face chart and threw her weight around about how she wanted electric blue eye shadow what she described and drew in terms of look was more Lola Ferrari than Dita Von Teese. I have quite a thick skin so chuckled on the inside and completed this look for her which she loved (not my style) but I've now blacklisted this client from future work with me and any recommendations through her ill tell I'm fully booked. It's awful to say but 90 mins with her was pure hell yet I've some clients who are pure bliss it's finding the decent clients amount the devils which takes skill. I guess my advice is don't give up start again and find the pure diamond clients from the dirt ones, you may need to blacklist and refuse a few but the nice ones will refer you to their nice friends and family and will give you pure joy. Your obviously good at what you do having been doing it so long don't allow these pure monsters to destroy your love and passion, for every two Cruella Devilles there will be one Cinderella.

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Funny because your post above suggested she did it as revenge for all those horrible brides over the years.

Did you read beginning of thread ? People do not need to deal with crappy attitudes! We are professionals and deserve some respect! It's about not being a door mat for someone else's bad behavior! I am happy for her that she doesn't have to deal with bad attitudes anymore 😃

She was emotional before her wedding and been told she couldn't have her mum there! Jeeez people!

People pay us money to look good and feel good and beforehand can be very emotional ESPECIALLY a bride. I'm not condoning rude behaviour but in the service industry you come across unstable people all the time.

I'm referring to the almost 'hang the bride' vibe that is coming across.

Planning a wedding is only really stressful due to other peoples crap- no wonder people elope.

Like to see how many of the above have been brides !

I have been a bride and I was not a witch to the people doing my hair and makeup they are the ones making you look good or bad if your a witch ! I have 2 engaged daughters and if either of them treated a stylist or makeup artist this way I would smack them up side their head and tell them to show respect to other people.

I don't think there is ever an excuse for appalling behaviour, rudeness or shouting.
Weddings are as stressful as you make them, the important thing is that you both turn up and at the end of the day, you are married. Sadly this gets lost!

Yes I have been a bride, and my wedding was quite a large affair, but I enjoyed every minute of it and 23 years later still look at my husband and think that marrying him is the best thing that I have ever done, but I didn't need histrionics to do it!!!

Vic x

the bride turned up with her MUM even though I asked not to bring anyone due to not having the space:-/

She stood at the door crying as she couldn't cope with the 'stress if planning a wedding'

She they then came in I made them coffee and she's still crying.

Difficult when having her hair and makeup done.

You are all drama queens.

I treated the 'having my hair done' bit as total relaxation. I was in a chair, there was nothing else I could do and nowhere else I could physically be, so I just sat back and enjoyed the peace for a while.

I get it that brides are stressed, but nobody should have to put up with that kind of behaviour. I truly believe, in my opinion, that if she couldn't keep it together for the trial, then there is little hope that she would on the day. Perhaps saying no to her might mean that the next MUA she has, she treats them with a little more respect (one can hope ;)). Yes this is a service industry, but it's not acceptable to behave in that way ever. Terms and conditions were laid out quite clearly, so why should she be the exception to the rule?

Im not married but i do have a low threshold on passive aggressive brides.

I genuinely cannot tolerate people that cannot make up their minds, and i don't like being distracted by the mother of the bride or anyone else when im doing a trial as i want to get it right and not faff about. I have noticed that brides now expect a hell of a lot more emotional support, but we are only human we can all fall apart and hopefully not break down when we have to apply our make up especially on our trial it would be nice...wouldnt it?!

i think id prefer it if the bride would just let her family n friends tell her afterwards how amazing or how much they despise it behind my back- without the interfering or them thinking they could do a better job---especially since your the one qualified and spend £££££on courses and makeup.

So yes i applaud your tolerance for dealing with some whiny brides over the years, i think im slowly getting to your stage of giving it up but im significantly increasing trials and make up on my pricelist to hopefully keep these women in check he he he! sending big hugs for you and i hope your ok xoxo

She was emotional before her wedding and been told she couldn't have her mum there! Jeeez people!

People pay us money to look good and feel good and beforehand can be very emotional ESPECIALLY a bride. I'm not condoning rude behaviour but in the service industry you come across unstable people all the time.

I'm referring to the almost 'hang the bride' vibe that is coming across.

Planning a wedding is only really stressful due to other peoples crap- no wonder people elope.

Like to see how many of the above have been brides !

She was told 3 weeks in advance that I didn't have the space to accommodate her mum,this was also outlined in her contract which she signed and agreed to ....

Went I was bring out the coffees she ran passed me on the hall way shouting and demanding tissues, loo roll or kitchen roll or to 'give her anything I've got so she could dry her eyes and nose, trying to find the bathroom she nearly ploughed into me, what kind of normal person does that???

When I said I didn't have kitchen roll I got ' why don't you have the? Everyone has has kitchen roll.

When her mum ask how I looked so young for my age and such lovely skin, and wanted to know what I used, I replied ' Swissderyml and when traveling baby wipes, the mother gave me such a filthy look and started tutting at me loudly

I'm not a trained therapist and I'm not being paid to be someone's emotional 'rock' so they can keep their sh$t together long enough to their hair/ makeup done and walk down the aisle. I'm there to do hair and makeup, be friendly/ professional that's it.

Stressful or not you do not behave in an unstable way in front of someone you just met, in their home, and to someone you want to do an excellent on your hair and make opened want to potentially book....

Last edited:
You don't need to justify anything to anyone here, no matter how provocative they are.

Onwards and upwards! x

Congratulations on your promotion! I am
With you with wanting to quit the industry I have been doing wedding makeup for the last 8 years and this last year has been the worst! So many crazy people I say people because it has been the whole bridal party causing trouble not just the bride. I find it all very mentally draining I come home from a wedding or trial absolutely exhausted. I think its time I to found a new direction! all the best with your career

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1409086623.107489.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

You don't need to justify anything to anyone here, no matter how provocative they are.

Onwards and upwards! x

Does provocative mean having a different opinion?

It's a forum, two sides to every story- or are we in a dictatorship,

If your hearts not in it fair enough.

You are all drama queens.

That's offering another carefully considered opinion to the conversation is it?

Or is it trying to inflame your fellow geeks and provoke an argument?

Thank you for all your advice and support😊

Just a little update!

I officially closed my business yesterday.

Unfortunately the demands of new job just don't allow me time to do anything else, as I'm knackered come Friday evening!

Why don't you leave the wedding make-up world with a bang on your own terms .. rather than the bride deciding if SHE wants YOU tell her YOU don't want HER.

Advise her that she failed the trial wedding make-up due to her lack of control of emotions and inability to follow simple instruction (not to bring a third person) and that as a result you must decline any request for on-the-day wedding make-up. :wink2: :cool: :twisted: :mad: :evil:

I would not suggest this approach ordinarily but it's your last appointment ... let her take one for all the bridezillas you have had to deal with over the last year.

Go out in full control of the situation not as a beaten-down puppy :hug:

You might choose not to take my advice - I am in a devilish mood today :)

I would love to do this :)
I'll have to remember this one next time someone complains or is a pain in the ass

Latest posts

Back