Rant (sort of)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsparker78

Reaction score
So I went for my regular hair cut with my regular barber. He runs a busy shop, the best in town, and I alway book in at the same time, same day every three weeks. I book my next appointment before I leave.

As I walk in, I hear him say my name, I turn the corner and say yup, it's me. He has another client in the chair which is fine. I'm 5 minutes early.

Then he tells me that my appointment was for last week and i didn't show. I apologize and turn to the reception desk where the reception girl tells me she tried to call me several times. I'm thumbing through my call history. And nope, not one single call. I confirm that they have my correct number.

Then I realize wait, last Thursday was only two weeks since my last appointment. I never ever deviate from my three week schedule.

I tell her that the booking was a mistake, and point out the descrepency. She then goes on to say that she booked the appointment and she alway repeats back what has been booked. I can't book in till Wednesday afternoon of next week. No offer to fit me in, no apologies, nothing. So I book for Wednesday, turn around tell my barber that I apologize, but the booking was a mistake. He responds, "perfect". And I leave. I then drive to sports clips, and get a pretty decent cut. Mind you, my cut turns into a color consult with my stylist (her hair, not mine) and I write down a formula for her, pay half what my barber charges, and I leave.

I'm pretty upset with the way I was treated at my regular shop. Do I have a right to be?

Last edited:
What is 'perfect' supposed to mean? Even if it was a mis-communication like you asked for 3 weeks and she read back to you the date of 2 weeks time, it doesn't sound like they have a nice attitude there and I probably wouldn't go back myself.

I don't know what "perfect" meant, but it didn't come across well. I may not go back.

I don't know what "perfect" meant, but it didn't come across well. I may not go back.
Most business's value there loyal regular customers. I wouldn't go back if they didnt apologies

Absolutely you have every right to be annoyed!! In my book the customer is always right & you go out of your way to rectify a mistake! I probably would of done my upmost to fit you in then & there!! If you are a regular & as regular as clockwork & always show up then surely they have to own that one!! Service lies not just in your haircut but THE WHOLE PACKAGE!!

As a stylist..... you know that a client that comes in every three weeks and has you just touch it up + is in the industry so is a good tipper is pretty much the dream client. He messed up. He make only look at it as 20 bucks but when you do the math.
$20 x 17 = 340 he just lost out on a lot of money. A 3 week client is the ones that you go out of your way for.
Too many stylist/ barber don't see the big picture. Look on Instagram for barbers tagging pics in your area I bet someone would be very happy to find a new client.

Thanks for the replies. I was worried I was being overly sensative. I think I will take the advice offered. And so my search begins.

Thanks for the replies. I was worried I was being overly sensative. I think I will take the advice offered. And so my search begins.
No you have every right to be upset they should have bent over backwards to apologise and fit you in,not be rude I take the perfect to mean you were accepting responsibility not him! Go to the other one he dosnt deserve your custom :mad:

I'd be fuming. I'd never go back with the attitude and lack of customer service they have you

As everyone else has said his behaviour is appalling. You have every right to feel the way you do!

His attitude stinks by the sound of it.

If it was my salon, I'd be mortified and would be bending over backwards to apologise and fit you in.

If I was you, I also wouldn't be impressed!

Good luck with your search.

Vic x

'Perfect' sounds to me like he wasn't even listening and he just assumed it had been resolved?
In the occasion something like this is my fault I'm horrified and do everything I can to fix it.

I think I'd be annoyed too lovely x

Time for new barber me thinks. You go every 3 weeks same day same time. Like clockwork. They cocked up and put it on you. Not cool. And I also take 'perfect' to mean he clearly wasn't listening to what you said.

I am not a hair geek but here are my thoughts:
I would be upset too. Maybe the barber didn't realize you were upset. I would perhaps talk directly to the barber and explain why I am upset. If he doesn't do anything to make it better, then I would look elsewhere.

I would have thought the barber would have realised the mistake when you didn't turn up and saw that it was booked in too soon! He should have tried to accommodate you and apologised. It's easier to retain an existing client then get a new regular one so he should have bent over backwards rather then risk losing you!

Had this happen to a client that gets her greys covered same time on Friday every three weeks. Missed her appointment and came in the next week. We let her know she missed and she let us know that wouldn't have been right. She was right in her schedule, we were wrong. I apologized even though I couldn't at that time fit it in. Offered to have another stylist hit her roots with the same formulation, as it's just an 6A + 20 and that I would take care of the service charge for her. She preferred to come in the next day to have me to it. Gave her an in-salon Kerastase treatment for the discrepancy and didn't charge her for the cut or color. It's embarrassing when that happens and you should not have been made to feel that way, they should have. Poor business people. Customer service is valued higher than the service itself, generally.

Right, I'm flying over to you next time I need my colour doing. ;)

O.K......I completely get how your feeling,and I get the other's comment's.....BUT......
We all make mistakes.....don't we?o_O
If you love what he does, you've been going sometime, without issue....
.......and this is the first time it's gone 'belly up'......
I'd give him another go.:)

O.K......I completely get how your feeling,and I get the other's comment's.....BUT......
We all make mistakes.....don't we?o_O
If you love what he does, you've been going sometime, without issue....
.......and this is the first time it's gone 'belly up'......
I'd give him another go.:)
I was thinking the same to be honest maybe the barber was busy/stressed/distracted possibly wasn't listening to what was going on just assuming the receptionist was handling things and possibly the receptionist didn't handle it the best way but we are all only human and it doesn't sound like this has happened to you before at this place- id probably go back and just mention to the barber when you have your appointment you felt she was a little rude

I totally understand that. But you really can't be distracted like that when it comes to clients. If I'm honest, I hated the blend on the last cut. The front of my hair looked awful and grown out and I had a hell of a time styling it. So there's that. Also, I feel like each time I have been in the last 6 months or so there has been less and less attention to detail. I get the feeling that regular like myself are treated a little less carefully since we are guaranteed business.

Latest posts

Back