Rash from threading and waxing?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candzjay

Reaction score
Hiya

Bit of a strange question - I used to wax and thread my eyebrows, and then all of a sudden I started getting a rash afterwards? (raised red bumps that would last anything from 2-5 days and peel afterwards). The reason I bring this up, is that I've been doing some reading on sugaring and it's apparently better for sensitive skin. So I was wondering - why would I suddenly start getting rashes, and is sugaring more gentle on the skin?

Just bumping this up - could use some help! x

Have you changed your facial products/make up since you have been waxing/threading? I haven't personally done sugaring but hot wax is great for sensitive skin! Although I have a feeling that if you are still having a reaction after threading, which is only pulling the hairs out and not affecting the skin then I would put this problem down to you rather than waxing/threading. What are the bumps like? Is it allergic reaction or trauma to the skin?x

Hi candzjay

Just as an addition to Purple Haz's comment, it may be that the wax or products you are using contain an irritant that you may not have previously been sensitive too. Many wax products do contain a great deal of other chemicals than the wax itself, so it may be worth checking out the ingredients list if you can see on on the packet.

Over time and often for no particular reason the skin can decide it's had enough of coming into contact with an irritant chemical, so reacts with a rash.

Sugaring may be less agressive on the skin than wax but without knowing what it is you skin doesnt like it will be hard to tell. However, it may be a handy alternative while your skin gets over or has a break from the wax product.

Hope the rash calms v soon for you.

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies.

I must be honest - I never had much of a skincare routine last time I went for threading (soap in the shower!!). since then, I've changed to Clinique products - the bar and dramatically different moisturising lotion.

I think I had an eyebrow wax once since then- about 3 months ago... was red for a few hours, and then it was okay I think!! I also recently bought some aloe vera gel- works wonders :) Going to try getting a wax this weekend- just legs and underarms to see how it goes. Hold thumbs! :D

Hi
It sounds like a histamine reaction which is a reaction to hair being removed rather than a product.
I always get this on my eyebrows. Red lumps that sometimes turn into a tiny whitehead or peel.
Aloe vera would be great to use after.
Caroline xx

Latest posts

Back