Re-usable files or individual?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MummyCat

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I was just about to order a new lot of files and was wondering what you all did?

I currently use a new CND Kanga board for each client and this is stored in a lever arch file with their record card, however this is getting a bit ridiculous as I have loads of them now...and for clients that don't return, I'm beginning to think that its a bit of a waste. For my regular clients its not too bad as I know that I'll always end up using the file again but for those that I *know* won't come back again until another special occasion.

I have Mundo File spray and use this on my reusable files that are used on enhancements, but I'm not sure whether or not to get some nice 240grit and spray those too.

I don't have any other means of sanitisation other than Barbicide and Mundo Spray, so would I be better off just sticking to what I'm doing?

Any help would be much appreciated as I literally have files coming out of my ears! Xx

Are you mobile? I leave the file with my regulars but I suppose if you are not mobile that wouldn't work as they would never remember to bring it with them!

Are you mobile? I leave the file with my regulars but I suppose if you are not mobile that wouldn't work as they would never remember to bring it with them!

I'm salon based, and when ever clients have taken their files...yup, they never bring them back! :grr:

Anyone else? x

I am just starting out and had planned to have files for every client, so this topic is hugely intersting to me.

maybe continue the way you are going, and every so often go through and pull out any files from non-returning customers and recycle??

I am home-based with no walk ins so hopefully I won't face this problem so much.

I re-use files but they are always thoroughly cleaned and thrown away once they are unusable or contaminated.

What I do is after use they are stored in a plastic box and at the end of the day I wash them with antibacterial soap and water with a scrubbing brush. I leave them to dry over night and spray them with disinfectant in the morning and are stored away again.

Obviously if they we're contaminated in any way they would be thrown in the bin.

I would never re-use the same file on a new client before had gone through that cleaning process.

I agree if you are mobile it's a good idea to give the file to the client but being salon based it just doesn't work, regulars yes but not for every single client, I wouldn't have the storage for that. Files aren't expensive but it would get very expensive if every set of nails we did we used a brand new file and the client never came back.

This is what I do any way, as long as you follow good hygiene regulations then I don't think it is a problem.

Obviously we wouldn't perform a treatment on someone before inspecting nails and hands so files would never be used on someone with an infection or anything suspicious and of course if you accidentally somehow cut them you would throw it out.

X

Felicity xx

I never re-use files, the thought to me is disgusting :irked:. I use septifile replaceable files:)

IMO files are way to expensive to replace after every client, no good business sense to me.

I disinfect my files after every use then throw them away once they have no grit left or they get contaminated. X

Hi. I don't have files for each client , it would cost too much ! I disinfect after every client , then thoroughly wash at the end of each day, ready for the next day and when there done , chuck them.

Is that backscratchers ? do you find they stick onto the handles ok and stay on ? I do the same as the others with sanatizing, it just gets ridiculous having a new file for every client.

I am mobile and I sanitise after each client xx

I use Purifiles, scrub and pat dry, then sanitize in Barbacide for 10 minutes after each client, then rinse and air dry. I do this with my other implements (nippers, curettes, pushers, etc.) after every client anyway, so it's not a big deal. They last a long time as they're sanitizable, and after they're worn I just toss them.

Is that backscratchers ? do you find they stick onto the handles ok and stay on ? I do the same as the others with sanatizing, it just gets ridiculous having a new file for every client.

Yes they are from backscratchers. Yes they stick perfectly. I don't see the big deal about using a new file, just build it into the treatment cost. There is nothing worse than thinking a file has been used on someone else! Remember fungal spores can not be killed by sanitising, sterilising only and you can't sterilise nail files.

If someone clearly had a fungal infection or you suspected that they did you wouldn't perform the treatment anyway. Some clients barely need any shaping I just couldn't bring myself to throw it away if I had barely used it lol

Felicity xx

I re-use files but they are always thoroughly cleaned and thrown away once they are unusable or contaminated.

What I do is after use they are stored in a plastic box and at the end of the day I wash them with antibacterial soap and water with a scrubbing brush. I leave them to dry over night and spray them with disinfectant in the morning and are stored away again.

Obviously if they we're contaminated in any way they would be thrown in the bin.

I would never re-use the same file on a new client before had gone through that cleaning process.

I agree if you are mobile it's a good idea to give the file to the client but being salon based it just doesn't work, regulars yes but not for every single client, I wouldn't have the storage for that. Files aren't expensive but it would get very expensive if every set of nails we did we used a brand new file and the client never came back.

This is what I do any way, as long as you follow good hygiene regulations then I don't think it is a problem.

Obviously we wouldn't perform a treatment on someone before inspecting nails and hands so files would never be used on someone with an infection or anything suspicious and of course if you accidentally somehow cut them you would throw it out.

X

Felicity xx

I agree although I don't store them in a plastic container as the air cannot circulate properly in plastic, particularly if it is sealed and this provides perfect conditions for bacteria to grow and multiply . You could wrap them in couch roll which will allow them to fully dry but protect them from re contamination.

I agree although I don't store them in a plastic container as the air cannot circulate properly in plastic, particularly if it is sealed and this provides perfect conditions for bacteria to grow and multiply . You could wrap them in couch roll which will allow them to fully dry but protect them from re contamination.

Good point but they are two separate containers. All clean files are kept separate from any that have been used and they are left to fully dry over night before they are stored away to be used again. The containers also go through the same cleaning process x

Felicity xx

If someone clearly had a fungal infection or you suspected that they did you wouldn't perform the treatment anyway. Some clients barely need any shaping I just couldn't bring myself to throw it away if I had barely used it lol

Felicity xx

You can't always tell if someone has one. I give it to the client to take home, I throw away toe nail files. I use cheaper ones on toe nails they literally cost me 10p a file, not going to break the bank :D x

It seems that most of you are all for the re-using of files?

I always carry out a thorough consultation prior to treatments and would never carry out a service if I thought someone had a fungal infection. I also intend to wash and sanitise any reusable files...I think I'm going to give it a try.

Hi Geeks,

I was just about to order a new lot of files and was wondering what you all did?

I currently use a new CND Kanga board for each client and this is stored in a lever arch file with their record card, however this is getting a bit ridiculous as I have loads of them now...and for clients that don't return, I'm beginning to think that its a bit of a waste. For my regular clients its not too bad as I know that I'll always end up using the file again but for those that I *know* won't come back again until another special occasion.

I have Mundo File spray and use this on my reusable files that are used on enhancements, but I'm not sure whether or not to get some nice 240grit and spray those too.

I don't have any other means of sanitisation other than Barbicide and Mundo Spray, so would I be better off just sticking to what I'm doing?

Any help would be much appreciated as I literally have files coming out of my ears! Xx

Both, you know you can keep your regulars files, but switch over to the one time use for those one timers. I have zip pouches for my handful of regulars, and their bags have some reusable and some disposable. I was able to purchase a pack of 10 cores to the sanifile system deja Vu nails were selling, this way all my regulars have a core in thier zip bags with two different grits, an etcher, a reusable soft 180 grit, two manicure brushes, 5 orange wood sticks, 2 extra Sani file pieces, and 3 soft arbor band pieces for the electric file I use on very long enhancements. This only costs my regulars 8 dollars and really gives them a sense of savings because I'm not tossing away files just for a quick fill, and they have their own pack of everything. I barely spend at all when I get the Sani files in bulk. I found the backscratchers ones very good also but the other brand was cheaper for me in bulk n no shipping cost. Most of the time I only replace the sponge buffer Sani file for my regulars And I do it at no extra cost, there are just 3 clients who have super sharp squares and the corners kinda tear up the sponge buffer, but like I said the extra one is more than covered in their enhancement cost.
Everyone should give the option to store some Sani packs for your clients, it costs you less in files in the long run and most of us include the cost of files into our work, so you sell the Sani packs as an add on, and it's a win win. I feel like its no different than having my own files in my own Sani pack, I wouldn't use them on anyone else, even after I sanitize them, and when your better with your application, you don't blow through good files.

Latest posts

Back