Reasons for a bride trial tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulesC

Reaction score
I've had my first bride approach me well enough in advance for a trial tan before the big day. Logic tells me should do a trial so that we can find the right shade for her & so that she can be sure she will be happy & confident tanned in a white dress but can anyone tell me any other reasons i haven't thought of? How soon before the wedding day would you do the trial? I sould like a right newbie but i just want to get this right x
Also, i've got no idea what to charge for the trial - any ideas? x

Last edited:
Hiya, well basically those are the reasons for doing a trial, so that the bride can see how good a job you do and whether or not she likes the shade of the tan.
The trial can be done anytime, but I wouldn't do it too close to the big day as she'll need to make sure she has it all scrubbed off before the wedding day tan.
I would charge full price for the trial, you're still using as much solution and it's taking as much of your time to do.
If she wants you to tan a group of people then you could always offer a discount if you wanted x

Hiya, well basically those are the reasons for doing a trial, so that the bride can see how good a job you do and whether or not she likes the shade of the tan.
The trial can be done anytime, but I wouldn't do it too close to the big day as she'll need to make sure she has it all scrubbed off before the wedding day tan.
I would charge full price for the trial, you're still using as much solution and it's taking as much of your time to do.
If she wants you to tan a group of people then you could always offer a discount if you wanted x

Thanks pink fairy. I've suggested she picks an occasion before the wedding for the trial & am waiting for her to get back to me, i was thinking it would be best 4 - 6 weeks before in case we need another chance to get it right (can't see that being the case but she's a new client). I was thinking of knocking £5 off the price of 2 tans for her & then still offering a special rate for the others x

Ive had brides trial it out for hen dos so the maids can give thier verdict on the tan. Ive had it where the fitting/final fitting is a couple days later against the ivory/white or creamy shade they pick they can see their skin tone against it. Realistically i would always prepare it so its at least 2 weeks beforehand. xoxo

Ive had brides trial it out for hen dos so the maids can give thier verdict on the tan. Ive had it where the fitting/final fitting is a couple days later against the ivory/white or creamy shade they pick they can see their skin tone against it. Realistically i would always prepare it so its at least 2 weeks beforehand. xoxo

Thanks, i like the idea of having it before the dress fitting x

I agree the trial need to be at least two weeks before the event so it will have faded off fully. She won't wnat to have snake skin on the wedding day.

Reasons for the trial? Well I can think of a few, and if you put yourself in the brides shoes you will probably think of more.
Firstly they want the right solution and shade of tan,
They want to know if they have any adverse reaction to the solution,
They want to see if you do a good job, they also want to know how patient and personable you are ( make sure they like you)
It is a stressful time for a bride to be and they want people that don't add to the stress. They want to know how long it takes to apply the tan, how the fade off is as they don't want to look yukky on their honeymoon.

I try to do the trials close to the hen night, that way I can maybe get some of the bridesmaids or guests to have a tan at the same time, They have a nice tan for the night out and the girls can compare their tans and the fade off over the next week or two.

Try to convince her that the groom needs a light shade of tan on at least his top half for the big day, they can look washed out next to a glowing bride, especially if there are a lot of black and white photographs, I usually charge £35.00 for bride and groom tan, if they want a trial and tan for the both of them I charge £65. That way they are making a saving but at least I am still covering my travel time and fuel costs as well as earning something out of it.
I charge £35 for bride trial and tan.

Hope this helps

I agree the trial need to be at least two weeks before the event so it will have faded off fully. She won't wnat to have snake skin on the wedding day.

Reasons for the trial? Well I can think of a few, and if you put yourself in the brides shoes you will probably think of more.
Firstly they want the right solution and shade of tan,
They want to know if they have any adverse reaction to the solution,
They want to see if you do a good job, they also want to know how patient and personable you are ( make sure they like you)
It is a stressful time for a bride to be and they want people that don't add to the stress. They want to know how long it takes to apply the tan, how the fade off is as they don't want to look yukky on their honeymoon.

I try to do the trials close to the hen night, that way I can maybe get some of the bridesmaids or guests to have a tan at the same time, They have a nice tan for the night out and the girls can compare their tans and the fade off over the next week or two.

Try to convince her that the groom needs a light shade of tan on at least his top half for the big day, they can look washed out next to a glowing bride, especially if there are a lot of black and white photographs, I usually charge £35.00 for bride and groom tan, if they want a trial and tan for the both of them I charge £65. That way they are making a saving but at least I am still covering my travel time and fuel costs as well as earning something out of it.
I charge £35 for bride trial and tan.

Hope this helps

It definitely helps, thank you x

My reason would be, do you want to look like a satsuma on your big day if we go a shade the wrong way?? :D

I just say no tan if no trial, & when they come for appointment I explain that if they are too dark or they don't like it at least we can make adjustments for the actual wedding tan. X

My reason would be, do you want to look like a satsuma on your big day if we go a shade the wrong way?? :D

I just say no tan if no trial, & when they come for appointment I explain that if they are too dark or they don't like it at least we can make adjustments for the actual wedding tan. X

Thanks Lush - the satsuma comment made me LOL. I was pre-empting her asking why she'd need a trial but she's actually relieved that i've offered this & wants to trial for her hen night in October (she gets married 1st December) & i think this timing is perfect. I've also advised that she co-ordinates hair / nail / tint appointments accordingly & she's made up that i've thought about this. x

I also do the trial tan for the hen night as people see the pictures and want one too! I do the first tan for £20 and the wedding tan for £10, because I offer 2 tans for £15 each as an offer anyway. And more often than not they call and say can they bring extra friends with them so I don't mind loosing the £10 :)

I also do the trial tan for the hen night as people see the pictures and want one too! I do the first tan for £20 and the wedding tan for £10, because I offer 2 tans for £15 each as an offer anyway. And more often than not they call and say can they bring extra friends with them so I don't mind loosing the £10 :)

Thanks sandwiches (i luuurrrve your name!!). What a good idea to offer a special rate for hens & bridal party. x

Latest posts

Back