Reasons for using the correct lamp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makeupandbeauty

Reaction score
I am in a salon where the salon owner is not a beauty therapist (which is fine!) But we are using OPI Gel colour and I am having problems with the cure- it's often just wiping part of it away after I wipe the topcoat. All of my research has suggested that its the lamp, no one has suggested its my application- and that if I wasn't prepping properly or applying properly I'd be having a different set of problems.
We're using mylee (cheap) lamps, so thats easy to believe. I know we should use the correct lamp for the system but I need to be able to explain to him why he needs to invest in them and thats where I get a bit stumped, with the science. He asked me to see if theres a similar lamp of the same spec, but I cant find a particular spec for the OPI lamp to then compare, just that its 40watts and as far as I understand, thats just the power input and isnt a reflection on what lamp you should use.

Can anyone explain properly what it is about the branded lamps that ensure a correct cure? And I've also read that using other branded lamps such as gelish or gellux will work, is this the case and if so what should I look for? I just need to be able to explain why I need an OPI lamp, he doesnt want to pay through the nose for a lamp just for the branding which is understandable. Where can you buy them from? Capital and OPI directly? I tried searching online and the only place I could find them was ebay and Amazon!

My other argument is that I want to be appear to be professional and deliver a professional, good quality service and at the moment I don't feel that I am providing either of those things.

Lastly IS there ANYTHING else that could be the problem? I.e. me?! Im sure it's the lamp as I am literally wiping off part of the colour- I couldnt sleep last night and I am tempted to cancel all my gel clients this week, which is a lot!!!!

I had this happen once before, it leaves like weird pools of missing top coat?

It's the lamp. I was doing the salon owners nails for her using her generic led lamp, as soon as I brought my own in it was fine and I never had another issue. I did notice recently that my Megamix top coat did this under my lamp over some pops, I think my bulbs are going.

Those Mylee lamps are crap. I can't believe he's being such a cheapskate! My friend basically forced me to buy one at a trade show and I never use it. It's handy for doing pops, that's about it. I find despite it being led it needs a lot longer cure time, 90secs atleast if I recall.

The only lamp that has ever been tested with the product by the manufacturer is the lamp they produce. Unless their instructions say to cure under a generic lamp (some do, most don't and this usually means a UV tunnel as it is a slower cure than led), most direct you to use their lamp. By not following manufacturers directions he's more than likely invalidated his insurance. Not to mention the fact that the gel isn't properly curing, so everyone is being put through overexposure of uncured gel, which as we know poses a high risk of allergy.

Light output frequency is measured in nano meters I think, there is a specific range (395 to 405 feels familiar??) I can't remember all the details off the top of my head. There are a ton of threads on here regarding the lamp debate. The best thing to do is always use the lamp for the system. Even when a brand does state it can be cured in any lamp, they mean any professional one, not a cheapo one. There are many brands I'd like to try but I don't, because of the lamp issue. I wouldn't risk client safety.

Best bet is to buy from OPI directly. That way if there is ever any issues they will get it sorted asap and there's no middle man to deal with.

Sorry if I'm being vague! I really feel for you in this situation and wish I could help more. Xx

Your clients are at risk of over exposure to uncured gel. Allergic reactions can be caused by this.
Maybe if you point out the possibility of an insurance claim to the salon owner he might be more keen to purchase the current lamp

o_Oo_O... i personally wouldnt get into the nitty gritty of why you need it....just tell him he'll lose clients....xoxo:cool:

I wouldn't overcomplicated it with the science especially if it's not something you are confident with. Just let him know that the gel isn't curing properly, the most likely cause and the health implications. I'm sure he will understand especially when you drop in the bit about his insurance being invalidated.

Id just tell him that unless he wants lots of allergic reaction claims on his hands he needs to invest in the correct lamps for the system you are using because he's putting clients at risk. x

Yep I did all of the above, including insurance and client health and he agreed right away. Plus itd only take about 20 services to get the money back xx

I like a happy ending [emoji4]

Latest posts

Back